Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting Tables  (Read 6950 times)

sash

Shooting Tables
« on: December 07, 2008, 07:20:40 pm »

I'm shopping for a new 4x8' shooting table and would like to hear anyone's opinion who has experience using the Cambo 4x8 shooting table sold by Calumet, or the Delta 4x8 shooting table sold by B&H and Adorama.  Curious if anyone has had any issues with the build quality and/or functionality of these two tables.  Also, if anyone knows if they are the SAME table, but just rebranded by the two suppliers.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Sash

Tom C

Shooting Tables
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:45:46 pm »

Quote from: sash
I'm shopping for a new 4x8' shooting table and would like to hear anyone's opinion who has experience using the Cambo 4x8 shooting table sold by Calumet, or the Delta 4x8 shooting table sold by B&H and Adorama.  Curious if anyone has had any issues with the build quality and/or functionality of these two tables.  Also, if anyone knows if they are the SAME table, but just rebranded by the two suppliers.

Sash

I have never owned but do remember using one such type of table about 15 years ago. For me such a stand is too rigid and limiting in what it can be used for and too permanent (it forever takes up valuable studio space). Kind of a gadget that looks cool but revealed its creative limitations real quick. I think less money can be better spent on some adjustable saw horses, a few sheets of gator board and plexi and some C stands.

TMARK

Shooting Tables
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 01:24:10 pm »

Sash

I have the Delta.  It works fine.  The plexi gets very hard to bend and requires serious force to bend it into place.  The thicker plexi is VERY hard to bend.  I broke a bunch of the 1/4" stuff.  I think I have 1/8", but its been a while since I fooled with it.  I don't really use it any more.  It is broken down in a closet.  I more often then not use some plate glass attached to C-Stands with Super Maffer clamps, or drape a roll of paper off of a Hollywood arm and over a table.  

Zachary Goulko

Shooting Tables
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:50:41 pm »

Sash

I bought the Delta table about 4 years ago, and returned it within a couple of days. The build quality was crap, and it was very heavy because it's steel and not aluminum. If you can afford a couple hundred more, go with the Bogen table. It's very light, easy to take apart, and has both matte and glossy sides to the plexi which comes in handy...
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Shooting Tables
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:48:01 pm »

I use the Elinchrom table which is really handy. I have taken off the regular plexi and have a number of different smaller plates that I can shove into the holders. These plates can be very easily set in all sorts of directions.

Pretty expensive table (though the newer ones are significantly cheaper) but for me it works, it is also a lightweight table and can be taken apart almost completely for storage.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:48:39 pm by Dustbak »

sash

Shooting Tables
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:28:53 pm »

Thank you everyone, for the valuable input.  Very helpful in making an informed decision, and much appreciated!

Sash

RobertJ

Shooting Tables
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:27:10 pm »

Shooting tables are useless, and a waste of money.  Are you trying to shoot things on a white background, or what?  Just wondering, because I hate shooting tables as much as I hate those shooting "cubes" that people use.  These are just horrible, horrible pieces of equipment that result in incorrect lighting techniques, IMO.

Zachary Goulko

Shooting Tables
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:00:28 pm »

Quote from: T-1000
Shooting tables are useless, and a waste of money.  Are you trying to shoot things on a white background, or what?  Just wondering, because I hate shooting tables as much as I hate those shooting "cubes" that people use.  These are just horrible, horrible pieces of equipment that result in incorrect lighting techniques, IMO.

Actually I agree...
A couple months after I bought my Bogen shooting table, I ended up cutting it up, and customizing it to my own needs.
It is now a modular, and flexible set of legs, with a piece of tempered glass on it. The tempered glass lets me light object from underneath, and swap backgrounds with ease. The legs and crossarms allow me to attach flexarms, and modifiers, which are very useful for precise lighting and positioning.

There is no perfect "off the shelf" solution, and you will have to get creative to accomodate your own shooting style.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Shooting Tables
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:04 pm »

Quote from: zachary_goulko
Actually I agree...
A couple months after I bought my Bogen shooting table, I ended up cutting it up, and customizing it to my own needs.
It is now a modular, and flexible set of legs, with a piece of tempered glass on it. The tempered glass lets me light object from underneath, and swap backgrounds with ease. The legs and crossarms allow me to attach flexarms, and modifiers, which are very useful for precise lighting and positioning.

There is no perfect "off the shelf" solution, and you will have to get creative to accomodate your own shooting style.

Zachary would you mind posting a photo? Ive thought about buying one the bogens minus the plexi....ive heard mixed things about the table and Ive considered customizing one for my own needs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:47:58 pm by klane »

Henry Goh

Shooting Tables
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 02:08:19 am »

Mine is a FOBA and for small products, I find it a must.  I think using any tool or in this case a shooting table is about workflow and productivity.  You can always make do with all kinds of tables, saw horse etc.  I eventually bought this FOBA because I had so much small items coming in for catalog shoots so it made good sense.

Zachary Goulko

Shooting Tables
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:03:03 pm »

Quote from: klane
Zachary would you mind posting a photo? Ive thought about buying one the bogens minus the plexi....ive heard mixed things about the table and Ive considered customizing one for my own needs.

Hi Klane,

I will take a picture later today, when I'm in the studio, and post it for you...
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Zachary Goulko

Shooting Tables
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44:33 pm »

Quote from: klane

So, here is what I did after chopping up the Bogen table...

[attachment=10253:_B5S5055.jpg][attachment=10254:_B5S5056.jpg][attachment=10255:
_B5S5057.jpg][attachment=10256:_B5S5058.jpg][attachment=10257:_B5S5059.jpg]
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Shooting Tables
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 10:03:53 pm »

Ah...very cool. I might consider doing that myself....

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Shooting Tables
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 01:46:10 am »

Ha!

I did pretty much the same thing with my Elinchrom table

carl dw

Shooting Tables
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 07:48:34 am »

Sash

Manfrotto (Bogen in the USA I believe) can supply all the fixings and tubing separately - called the "Multiclamp System"

They have a sea of different connectors, clamps, feet. wheels etc. with tubes up to 6ft long.

Just mix and match ..... build your own bespoke table rather than pay for and hack up an off the shelf job.

Cheers,

Carl

Zachary Goulko

Shooting Tables
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:25:54 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
Ha!

I did pretty much the same thing with my Elinchrom table

Interesting,

Can you post a couple of pics?
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

BJNY

Shooting Tables
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 09:51:14 am »

Quote from: carl dw
Manfrotto (Bogen in the USA I believe) can supply all the fixings and tubing separately - called the "Multiclamp System"

They have a sea of different connectors, clamps, feet. wheels etc. with tubes up to 6ft long.

Just mix and match ..... build your own bespoke table rather than pay for and hack up an off the shelf job.

Cheers,

Carl

I wish BogenImaging did import/distribute the modular ALU system here in the USA.
Guillermo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Shooting Tables
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 11:31:22 am »

Quote from: zachary_goulko
Interesting,

Can you post a couple of pics?

Sure, have a bit of patience. I will make some tomorrow (I normally photograph what is on the table, not the table itself )

I can relate to the fact the the standard thing might not be ideal but it was a  very good start for me at the time I was not sure what I wanted from a table. I might do it differently if I would start over, with the knowledge I gained while using it and adapting it for several years.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:42:38 am by Dustbak »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Shooting Tables
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 08:54:45 am »

Some images of my altered table. The standard plates are removed. I have various plexi plates that I use in the holders, varying from transparant up to white (the type that allows the least of light through) and various levels of opacity. The plates slide in pretty easy, each holder can take up to 2 plates which comes in handy sometimes.

The plates can be tilted and set at different heights easily (heights with a bit more effort). I use autopoles and clamps to built a cage around it to attach all sorts of stuff, I sometimes need it and sometimes not. No need to have it around all the time even more so because my space is limited.

I still have the arms that can bend the longer plate somewhere but in most cases I just grab a sheet of PVC (like the one you see attached with the clamps behind the table). That way it takes up a lot less space.

I guess the search for the most comfortable operation with the best results is a never-ending quest
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:56:13 am by Dustbak »

E_Edwards

Shooting Tables
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 09:31:17 am »

Dustbak,

I like your set up, it's very practical and lends itself to the restricted space.

Just one question, can you put some weight on the top without the arms that hold the top perspex sloping down?

Also, another slight inconvenience is that if you need to spend time setting up, it will probably mean that your posture won't be so good, as you can't put your legs under the table, though I guess you can always remove the bottom perspex whilst you are setting up, and then slide it in when you are ready to shoot.

I am manic about keeping a good posture, years of neglect have left me with a painful back if I'm not careful.

Edward
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:36:55 am by E_Edwards »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up