Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power of YouTube  (Read 5566 times)

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
Power of YouTube
« on: December 07, 2008, 12:12:59 pm »

The Hitler/D3X video is glorious. Another topic for a YouTube parody that just cries out to be done is the megapixel arms race and assured overkill. Perhaps based on footage from Dr Strangelove.

We all know that point&shoots have long been going downhill in IQ due to the single-minded emphasis on ever more megapixels at the cost of ever more noise and therefore worse high ISO and DR capability. If a YouTube parody helps bring this issue to the attention of Mr & Mrs Consumer, that in turn might influence the consumer research of the manufacturers.

Ben Rubinstein

Power of YouTube
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:57:31 pm »

Quote from: Dale_Cotton2
The Hitler/D3X video is glorious. Another topic for a YouTube parody that just cries out to be done is the megapixel arms race and assured overkill. Perhaps based on footage from Dr Strangelove.

We all know that point&shoots have long been going downhill in IQ due to the single-minded emphasis on ever more megapixels at the cost of ever more noise and therefore worse high ISO and DR capability. If a YouTube parody helps bring this issue to the attention of Mr & Mrs Consumer, that in turn might influence the consumer research of the manufacturers.

The line about Ken Rockwell really did have me on the floor!  

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Power of YouTube
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »

Or the line where "May PC always hangs anyway".    

Ray

Power of YouTube
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:37:54 pm »

My favourite part was the long, thoughtful pause from Hitler after one of his generals reported that Nikon had already announced the Dx3 at an RSP of $8,000, followed by the explosive tirade against Nikon.

I think we all need to take a reality check now and again on so many issues with which we so often get obsessed.

However, I find it difficult to agree with Dale_Cotton2 that the obsession with increased pixel count lends itself to the same sort of satire. The technological trend towards greater miniaturisation applies across the board to anything related to computers. It means that today's laptop can have the power of yesterday's desktop workstation.

I'm all in favour of miniaturisation and look forward to the day when 20mp P&S cameras have fast autofocus and frame rates, and in-camera auto-merging to HDR of bracketed exposures.

dalethorn

Power of YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:02:50 pm »

Quote from: Dale_Cotton2

1. Youtube already has had this video for quite some time, for everything from floor wax to urological surgery.

2. Are you saying that P&S cameras of today make worse quality images than those of a year or two ago?  From my experience with several (Panasonics mostly), and from a number of reviews such as Steve's, DPReview, and Michael here at LL, the opposite seems to be true.  Where are your examples of several, or most digicams of today producing worse images than a year or two ago?  This sounds complete off-base to me.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Power of YouTube
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:14:40 am »

Replying to the power of censorship...

"This video not available in your country."

That's the message I'm now getting when I hit the link...I did see this clip on Saturday with no problems. I wonder why that's changed. Perhaps Bruno Ganz and the film company were made aware of it and complained to youtube?...so maybe now it is verboten in european countries?...at least right now here in France I can't view it anymore...

Whoever put it together really did a nice job with the subtitles...and jeez, after the furor over the d3x price when announced it really hit home...I kept thinking of Bernard for some reason...read his thoughts about the d3x pricing here and at dpr...along with the Michael's, Thom Hogans, etc...

Ray

Power of YouTube
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:03:10 am »

Quote from: momo2

That's the message I'm now getting when I hit the link...I did see this clip on Saturday with no problems. I wonder why that's changed. Perhaps Bruno Ganz and the film company were made aware of it and complained to youtube?...so maybe now it is verboten in european countries?...at least right now here in France I can't view it anymore...

Whoever put it together really did a nice job with the subtitles...and jeez, after the furor over the d3x price when announced it really hit home...I kept thinking of Bernard for some reason...read his thoughts about the d3x pricing here and at dpr...along with the Michael's, Thom Hogans, etc...

That's a bit disturbing. Are you sure you haven't got an optional 'country filter' set? I can still access this YouTube video in Australia. Try this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0

At the same time, I can appreciate that Nikon would view this video as extremely negative advertising for the DX3, but it seems a bit incredible they could get it censored.

francois

Power of YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:14:40 am »

I'm still able to watch that video... and I'm just 10 km from the French border.
Francois

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Power of YouTube
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:07:50 am »

Quote from: Ray
That's a bit disturbing. Are you sure you haven't got an optional 'country filter' set? I can still access this YouTube video in Australia. Try this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0

At the same time, I can appreciate that Nikon would view this video as extremely negative advertising for the DX3, but it seems a bit incredible they could get it censored.

Hi Ray, thanks for the link, but I still get the pink band up at the top of the page saying it isn't available. It was Saturday and Sunday I was able to get it fine. I tried ditching the youtube cookies but that didn't help.

Hey, Francois, where are you?

I went back to the dpr links I was able to access over the weekend and they don't work anymore. Someone is censoring the link. Not sure how that works. I thought I lived in a 'free' country. What's that claptrap, Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité, blablabla...

francois

Power of YouTube
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:57 am »

Hey, Francois, where are you?

I went back to the dpr links I was able to access over the weekend and they don't work anymore. Someone is censoring the link. Not sure how that works. I thought I lived in a 'free' country. What's that claptrap, Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité, blablabla...
I'm near Geneva and I can see Evian-les-Bains from my office.
Francois

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Power of YouTube
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 08:29:22 am »

Quote from: francois
I'm near Geneva and I can see Evian-les-Bains from my office.

Kinda weird...I wonder if there was some complaint to Nikon France?...could they ban a video on youtube?...didn't think it would be possible here unless it could be considered something that would lead to hate crimes or something...I don't know, I can get all kinds of demented, distasteful, excrement on youtube, just not this...I may open an account on youtube, maybe send in a question...see if someone responds...

Maybe I should move to Geneva :-)

francois

Power of YouTube
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 08:35:10 am »

…Maybe I should move to Geneva :-)
Well, Geneva is not as sunny as southern France :-(
Francois

Rob C

Power of YouTube
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 10:45:52 am »

Link still works in Mallorca...

Rob C

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Power of YouTube
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 11:19:34 am »

Quote from: francois
Well, Geneva is not as sunny as southern France :-(

Not sure the sunshine and palm trees are worth missing out on adolf/bruno knocking Nikon's lights out, though in the end he is hankering for his F2...

I did a bit of reading and the block could be via my ips, could be the clip with the Nikon info steps on some business agreement in France...maybe youtube is just having a bad day...whatever...unless the landscape changes between now and 15 January I'm still gonna get myself a D700 and its measly 12mp sensor...I know it ain't 20 something,...I'll have to live with the shame :-)

Rob C...good you can still get this in Spain...hmmm, I haven't been to Spain in over eight years...maybe time for a visit...although first I think I'm heading to London to see the Rothko exhibit at the Tate...

kind regards...

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Power of YouTube
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:21:37 am »

Still works fine in UK.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Power of YouTube
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 11:27:34 am »

I did a bit of reading and the block could be via my ips, could be the clip with the Nikon info steps on some business agreement in France...maybe youtube is just having a bad day...whatever...unless the landscape changes between now and 15 January I'm still gonna get myself a D700 and its measly 12mp sensor
Here is information on recent landscape changes in Europe!      
European info
 Details
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:29:16 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up