Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Matte Paper For D-Max?  (Read 4616 times)

JimGoshorn

Best Matte Paper For D-Max?
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:03:46 am »

With the recent Epson printers, which matte paper(s) has the best D-Max?

Thanks!

Jim

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:56:50 pm »

Haven't worked with it for a while, but Epson Enhanced Matte (did the name change recently?) had a very good D-max using the standard Epson profiles.

However, there's more to the story...  It also did not have particularly good separation of tones in dark areas somewhat above D-max, the ability to achieve a relatively deep black was not without side effects.  There were other matte papers that had an overall better looking tonal quality in those darkish areas, in spite of a less-than-solid D-max.  You have to look at some of your images printed on various papers to know what you really want.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:07:47 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
However, there's more to the story...  It also did not have particularly good separation of tones in dark areas somewhat above D-max, the ability to achieve a relatively deep black was not without side effects.  There were other matte papers that had an overall better looking tonal quality in those darkish areas, in spite of a less-than-solid D-max.  You have to look at some of your images printed on various papers to know what you really want.

Based on Wilhelm's longevity numbers, Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the tonal separation issue.

Jim

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:27:46 pm »

So far in my tests, I have not found any matte paper that exceeds Epson Velvet Fine Art for dMax or for the difference between paper white and 100% black (using my Epson 3800 with its K3 pigment inks and the Quad Tone RIP Calibration page).  It has a lovely smooth response as well, with no indication of added brighteners.  I wish it were a little whiter anyway.  It's expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Aloha,
Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

JimGoshorn

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:09:43 pm »

Quote from: AaronPhotog
So far in my tests, I have not found any matte paper that exceeds Epson Velvet Fine Art for dMax or for the difference between paper white and 100% black (using my Epson 3800 with its K3 pigment inks and the Quad Tone RIP Calibration page).  It has a lovely smooth response as well, with no indication of added brighteners.  I wish it were a little whiter anyway.  It's expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the suggestion Aaron. Just so you know though, according to Wilhelm, both Epson Velvet Fine Art and Somerset Velvet contain some OBAs. Seems like matte papers without OBAs have a brightness rating of 90 or less.

Jim

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 04:18:13 pm »

The matte papers I've used with the best (apparent) dmax is Epson Velvet Fine Art and Optica One by Breathing Color. I prefer the in-hand feel of Photo Rag but have stopped using it specifically for it's lack of dmax.

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:32:55 am »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
Thanks for the suggestion Aaron. Just so you know though, according to Wilhelm, both Epson Velvet Fine Art and Somerset Velvet contain some OBAs. Seems like matte papers without OBAs have a brightness rating of 90 or less.

Jim

Of the papers I've tested, then, VFA has the least indication of OBA's, just to be clear.  If they are there, then they are very low, as compared to just about every other paper I've tested.  I doubt that sheet whiteness alone can be a reliable indication of brighteners.  That said, I'm not averse to brighteners.  

Aloha,
Aaron
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:56:29 pm by AaronPhotog »
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu
Pages: [1]   Go Up