Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: papers that print best with Vivera inks  (Read 3856 times)

Stephen Lux

papers that print best with Vivera inks
« on: December 07, 2008, 02:06:46 am »

I would like to hear from people using PS CS3 soft proofing and 8 color Vivera inks (HP B9180). I am looking for recommendations for a paper and profile suitable for fine gallery exhibition in both color and B&W. Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks Steve.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:33:36 am »

Quote from: Stephen Lux
I would like to hear from people using PS CS3 soft proofing and 8 color Vivera inks (HP B9180). I am looking for recommendations for a paper and profile suitable for fine gallery exhibition in both color and B&W. Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks Steve.

HP's professional satin is highly optimized for their Vivera inks. You'll get a very deep d-max for black & white, together with a very good gamut for color prints. The surface quality is also very nice, a subtle semi-gloss without any objectionable texture. I don't think you can beat it for image quality. The only downside is that it's a plastic/synthetic feeling 'paper', rather like Epson's premium luster (only with a much nicer surface). If your prints are going to be matted & framed so hand feel won't matter, I think this is your best choice. HP's canned profile is really quite good.

If you're looking for a 'fiber-gloss' paper with a nice hand feel as well, I'd consider Crane's silver rag, which works very well with HP's inks, as does Hahnemuhle's photo rag pearl. Both have a much more obvious surface texture than HP pro satin. But you'll probably have to spring for a custom profile (circa $75 - $100 max) for these papers.

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:09:16 pm »

I have tried samples of about 12 different papers. I like the Cranes Silver Rag - for a glossy paper; because, though I think the HP Pro Satin is excellent tonally, I do not like the RC like paper surface.

My favorite paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin (Do not use gloss enhancer with it) - because of its lovely paper surface sheen - but it will not give as deep blacks as a glossy paper.

I am using a Z3100 printer.

Howard

Stephen Lux

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 02:55:10 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
HP's professional satin is highly optimized for their Vivera inks. You'll get a very deep d-max for black & white, together with a very good gamut for color prints. The surface quality is also very nice, a subtle semi-gloss without any objectionable texture. I don't think you can beat it for image quality. The only downside is that it's a plastic/synthetic feeling 'paper', rather like Epson's premium luster (only with a much nicer surface). If your prints are going to be matted & framed so hand feel won't matter, I think this is your best choice. HP's canned profile is really quite good.

If you're looking for a 'fiber-gloss' paper with a nice hand feel as well, I'd consider Crane's silver rag, which works very well with HP's inks, as does Hahnemuhle's photo rag pearl. Both have a much more obvious surface texture than HP pro satin. But you'll probably have to spring for a custom profile (circa $75 - $100 max) for these papers.

Geoff... Your advise is invaluable to me, especially at this point in my development. I recently tried the Ilford Gallery gold fiber silk and was disappointed with the results. I was unable to accurately match my print to the PS, CS3 canned profile soft proof. I later found out that the paper and Vivera inks are incompatible from Ilford Tech Support, although they do provide a HP B9180 profile? Go figure.
I ordered both the Pro satin and Crane's silver rag for tests. Will report back later with the results and possibility a question or two. Again, thanks for the reply, Steve,

Stephen Lux

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 03:00:41 pm »

Quote from: howseth
I have tried samples of about 12 different papers. I like the Cranes Silver Rag - for a glossy paper; because, though I think the HP Pro Satin is excellent tonally, I do not like the RC like paper surface.

My favorite paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin (Do not use gloss enhancer with it) - because of its lovely paper surface sheen - but it will not give as deep blacks as a glossy paper.

I am using a Z3100 printer.

Howard

Howard... Your advise is invaluable to me, especially at this point in my development. I recently tried the Ilford Gallery gold fiber silk and was disappointed with the results. I was unable to accurately match my print to the PS, CS3 canned profile soft proof. I later found out that the paper and Vivera inks are incompatible from Ilford Tech Support, although they do provide a HP B9180 profile? Go figure.
I ordered both the Pro satin and Crane's silver rag for tests. Will report back later with the results and possibility a question or two. Again, thanks for the reply, Steve,

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 04:51:25 pm »

Stephen - I just made several prints on my Z3100 (this past hour) and I am getting a close match between my screen color/contrast and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin.  I soft proof with Photoshop CS3 (I do "hardware" calibrate my screens (Samsung  214T, I use Photoshop CS3 on a Mac G5) The close match also includes the reds - (that some people have complained about with the Z3100 - so far, I have not had a "red" problem.)  

I use "Thick Fine Art>250 as my paper type. for the Rag Satin - Gloss Enhancer off. That is, of course, for an HP Z3100 printer - Maybe different paper setup for a B9180. Keep in mind the Rag Satin is unusual paper - it won't lay ink, or sheen, in the white highlights and less inky sheen in other very bright areas - this gives it it's unique surface look.

Howard

walter.sk

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 06:35:20 pm »

I print on the HP Z3100.  The 4 papers I use after trying several others are:

1) HP Premium ID Satin, which gives a nice dynamic range and is not too glossy.

2) Epson Premium Luster, for great dynamic range and color.  Sometimes I love the surface, sometimes I don't.

3) HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art Paper.  For a matte paper it gives good color, blacks as deep as could be expected, and the prints look great.  I use the 310gsm weight.

4) HP Hahnemuhle Textured Fine Art Paper.  While a textured surface is not for everyone, I love this paper.  It has great color and the dynamic range is wide for a matte paper.  My favorite textured paper had been the Bergger textured inkjet paper, PN33, but I could not find it in rolls.  Now I like the HP Hahnemuhle TFAP, in the 310 gsm weight even more than the Bergger.

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:05:40 am »

I have a page with a summary of the papers I have tried her: HP B9180

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:04 am »

Hi Stephen-

You have gotten bad, outdated advice. GFS works with the z3100, with the latest firmware, using the hp Baryte preset. It's the only one that apparently applies enough GE. Print's beautifully .

Bill

I later found out that the paper and Vivera inks are incompatible from Ilford Tech Support, although they do provide a HP B9180 profile? Go figure.
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

Stephen Lux

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 03:15:44 pm »

Quote from: William Morse
Hi Stephen-

You have gotten bad, outdated advice. GFS works with the z3100, with the latest firmware, using the hp Baryte preset. It's the only one that apparently applies enough GE. Print's beautifully .

Bill

Greetings Bill, Thank you for the information. It is been a long and expensive story. I won't go in to all the details, but HP recently sent me a replacement printer under the extended warrantee. Refurbished, and equipped with the latest driver. My work strategy now adds Lightroom 2 to the mix. 1st. for the raw processtng. 2nd, to PS CS3 for the soft proof adjustments and 3rd, back to lightroom for the print. Lightroom appears to produce a slightly sharper print than PS CS3?

Through trial and error, I've found that using the Ilford profile for GFS in the lightroom print dialogue; Then in the printer driver, under "paper Type/Quality", specifying HP Advanced Photo Paper Glossy; now produces a much better print. Blacks are now rich and the color is good. No more faded blacks with a yellow green cast!

Given my level of experience, I really do not comprehend why this appears to work and I don't want to spread misinformation... I don't how to access my firmware and the Baryte preset... I would like very much to hear from you again and try the Baryte preset in the firmware as you suggest. Afterall it is all about the print and making beautiful prints is my goal. Thanks again, Steve.

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 03:30:15 pm »

Hi Steve-

You'll have to go to the z3100 wiki (http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/) and read up on how to update the firmware and install paper presets. It's too much for me to go into here. After you have done that, and you have specific questions, come back and ask them.

Bill

Greetings Bill, Thank you for the information. It is been a long and expensive story. I won't go in to all the details, but HP recently sent me a replacement printer under the extended warrantee. Refurbished, and equipped with the latest driver. My work strategy now adds Lightroom 2 to the mix. 1st. for the raw processtng. 2nd, to PS CS3 for the soft proof adjustments and 3rd, back to lightroom for the print. Lightroom appears to produce a slightly sharper print than PS CS3?

Through trial and error, I've found that using the Ilford profile for GFS in the lightroom print dialogue; Then in the printer driver, under "paper Type/Quality", specifying HP Advanced Photo Paper Glossy; now produces a much better print. Blacks are now rich and the color is good. No more faded blacks with a yellow green cast!

Given my level of experience, I really do not comprehend why this appears to work and I don't want to spread misinformation... I don't how to access my firmware and the Baryte preset... I would like very much to hear from you again and try the Baryte preset in the firmware as you suggest. Afterall it is all about the print and making beautiful prints is my goal. Thanks again, Steve.
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

timowen

• Photo Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 06:12:55 pm »

I recommend the following 2 papers for the B9180:

Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta

Neil Snape wrote a great review of this paper:
http://www.neilsnape.com/HPR_Baryta_review.htm

I have tried numerous papers with the B9180 and this one immediately became my baryta favorite. I also loved the Harman Gloss FB AI, but could not get consistent results. Primary problem was head strikes, as others have encountered. The Hah Photo Rag Baryta has worked flawlessly (knock on wood).

HP Professional Satin

This paper is ideally suited for the B9180. It just works. To my eyes, it does not have the same pop (for certain prints) as the HPRB, but it always delivers. I'm not a full-time photographer or printing pro. So whenever my printer drivers, PS CS3, Canon DPP, Qimage, custom paper profiles, etc permutations/combinations decide they want to battle each other for the domination of my confused HP printer and all hope seems lost - I do the following: Insert HP Pro Satin into B9180 specialty paper tray. Set Printer ICC to "Let Printer Manage Colors". Set Paper Profile to "HP Advanced Photo Paper, Satin Matte". Press Go button. Wait a few minutes (go get nice cup of freshly brewed coffee). Return. Pick up nearly perfectly color matched print from output tray. Frame and display. Enjoy rest of day.  

-Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up