Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FlashTrax from SmartDisk  (Read 4210 times)

BruceK

FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« on: July 31, 2003, 02:41:23 pm »

Bud:

I recently purchased one to replace my MindStor (company went Tango Uniform...). It does what it says it will. It takes about 6-7 minutes to take the data off of a 512MB CF card so I transfer the data over when I won't be moving around for that amount of time.

Pros: Insert a CF card with the unit closed up, press the Copy button and it will transfer the data automatically. Does a nice job of creating separate folders for each CF transferred.

Cons: The Copy LED is VERY hard to see in normal ambient light. More than once I've removed a CF card in the middle of a transfer because I thought the unit was finished. It wasn't. Haven't lost any images, though.  :)  

Battery life: Haven't run it dry yet. I figure I can get 4-6 512MB transfers on one charge. Enough for one day's shooting.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 03:57:04 pm »

I heard back from SmartDisk tech support. They confirmed that the unit is able to view RAW files from the Canon 10D.  He didn't know about files from the Canon 1Ds.

Bruce, what kind of files are you working with?

Thanks.
Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

budjames

FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 04:48:26 am »

Bruce,

Why did you stop using the MindStore and buy the FlashTrax?

Bud
Bud James

budjames

FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 09:09:24 am »

Thanks. I think that they went out of business anyway. I do see their products available used on eBay.

Bud
Bud James

budjames

FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 05:52:37 am »

I read in the new issue of PC magazine about the FlashTrax multimedia device from SmartDisk. Below is the product information from SmartDisk's web site.

The device looks like the new GameBoy which has a PDA look with a hinged display that closes to cover the controls (clamshell design). The screen is much bigger (3.5" diagonal) that the NixVue or other CF download devices I've seen. The specs. indicate that it also can display "some" RAW files. I e-mailed SmartDisk for a clarification on this.

Any comments from users?

Bud James
Lansdale, PA

FlashTrax is an innovative handheld device that allows you to expand the use of your digital camera and multimedia files. With simple controls and high-speed transfers, FlashTrax allows you to store, view, and play all sorts of media files, all in one palm-size, portable device.

FlashTrax wins Innovative Digital Product Award sponsored by the Digital Imaging Marketing Association. < read more >

Transfer digital pictures from flash memory cards to FlashTrax -TOP-
Why carry piles of flash media with you? When you’ve filled up your media card, just copy it to FlashTrax, erase it, and keep on shooting! When you’re done, just connect FlashTrax to your computer to view, print, or store your pictures.

View pictures on the 3.5” color LCD or TV
With its large, vibrant screen, FlashTrax is great for previewing your digital images or sharing them with the world. Whether you’re spot-checking on the site of your latest shoot or sharing your photo album with Grandma, FlashTrax has everything you need.

Listen to MP3 music
With its massive storage capacity, FlashTrax has more than enough space to take your entire MP3 collection with you on the road. The convenient MP3 control panel on the side makes it incredibly easy to carry and listen to your music anywhere.

Transfer files to your computer
Unlike other devices that require custom drivers or complex interface software, FlashTrax was designed to be as friendly with your computer as possible – just plug it in and use it like a USB 2.0 hard disk! You can even use your FlashTrax to transfer data between computers.

Features: -TOP-

Pictures - Store JPEG photos on integrated 30GB hard drive (over 20,000 typical JPEG images). View stored photos on large 3.5” color LCD, with ability to zoom, pan and rotate.
Music - Portable MP3 “jukebox”, with a total capacity of over 7,000 songs.
Video - Watch videos with audio soundtrack – compatible with the video formats created by the “movie” mode of many digital still cameras. View pictures or videos on a TV monitor with included video cable and infrared remote control.
Connect to your PC - Transfer and backup photos (or video, music, voice, etc.) from Compact Flash media, through built-in reader and simple one-step “Copy” button. Easily connect to your PC through high speed USB 2.0.

Technical Specifications -TOP-
Storage:

30GB Hard Drive
Compatible Flash Media:
CF type I, II Compact Flash, IBM Microdrive
Other flash media (SM, MS, SD, MMC, xD) can be used through use of a Compact Flash Adapter, sold separately.
Display:

LCD: 3.5” (diagonal) color TFT LCD with CCFL backlight
TV monitor output: NTSC or PAL, Composite video
JPEG format viewing, with hardware zoom in/out, pan/scroll, rotation support. (Some RAW format as well as GIF and BMP files can also be viewed.)
Video: Motion JPEG picture decoding,
up to 320 x 240 x 30 frames/sec or 640 x 480 x 10 frames/sec
Can view simple text files (*.txt)
Audio:

Stereo analog line out or earphone jack
Built-in speaker
MP3 and WAV formats. Plays MP3 files encoded up to 320 kbps bit rate; can play VBR encoded files
User interface:

Navigation disk, plus seven user interface keys
Five audio control/transport keys, for simple MP3 jukebox operation
Operation status indication LED
Battery status indication LED
Infrared remote control accessory for slide show operation
Power:

Internal power: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery (2200 mAh capacity)
External power: 5V output AC/DC adapter
PC connectivity:

USB 2.0 (USB1.1 compatible)
Size and weight:

5.63 in X 3.62 1.26 in (143mm X 92mm X 32mm)
12 oz (340g)
System Requirements (for PC connectivity): -TOP-

Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, XP (Win 98SE requires downloadable driver)
Mac OS 8.6 or higher
In all cases, an available USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 port
Bud James

Joe Hardesty

FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 03:48:13 pm »

Battery life: Haven't run it dry yet. I figure I can get 4-6 512MB transfers on one charge. Enough for one day's shooting.

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

I am considering one of these units, but want to use it to preview images in the field. Have you used the LCD preview feature and do you have any idea how it affect battery life?
Thanks for the memories!

BruceK

FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 04:04:11 pm »

Joe:  IMHO the LCD preview is worthless. I can get a far better idea of the photo's quality looking at the LCD on my 10D. I don't know how using the LCD affects the battery as I don't use the unit that way.

Bud: I have a 10D so I don't know whether or not 1DS images can be previewed. I _think_, but am not sure, that what the unit really previews are the JPGs that are saved along with the RAW image.

Bruce

BruceK

FlashTrax from SmartDisk
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 08:29:12 am »

Why did you stop using the MindStore and buy the FlashTrax?

I was always having problems with the MindStor's batteries. They wouldn't charge, wouldn't hold a charge, etc. I was carrying around 3 battery packs just trying to get through a day's picture taking.

Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up