Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think of your Canon G10  (Read 3308 times)

thierrylegros396

What do you think of your Canon G10
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:30:56 am »

A week ago, I've bought a G10 and do many trials inside and outside.

For me the menus are not so intuitive in regard of A 400D for example.

ISO400 is just acceptable, but not more.
But I'me very deceived of ISO800 and ISO1600 results especially in dark areas !
The ISO3200 possibility (2MP JPG output) can be very interresting in some case where you cannot use the flash.

So Canon, can you do an upgrade of the G10 firmware with ISO800 and ISO1600 in a less resolution mode (4MP for example) ?!

More, is there any software that can output a JPG with less resolution from a RAW format ?!

Don't hesitate to put here your comment of your new G10 !!!

Thierry

jdemott

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 01:26:46 pm »

To answer your specific question first--most raw conversion software can produce a lower resolution jpeg file from a raw file.  The DPP software that comes with your G10 will do the job (click Convert and Save under the file menu and then complete the dialog settings for the desired size).  Adobe Camera Raw will also open files into Photoshop at various sizes which can be saved as jpegs.

With the G10, you already have the ability to shoot low resolution jpegs at any time should you find it useful to do so.  However, shooting a lower resolution file by itself does not solve the problem of high ISO noise.  If you shoot a high ISO image with the G10 (or any compact camera) there will be considerable noise.  That noise can be corrected (to a degree) with the use of noise removal software (either in-camera software or software on your computer).  Any noise reduction software will have the unfortunate side effect of destroying detail in the image  (the more you reduce noise the more detail you will destroy) so that the image after noise removal will have no more detail than if you had shot a noise-free image at lower resolution.  Some people might say that you should convert the file to a lower resolution file at that point, but I would prefer to leave it at the original size and simply print at a smaller size.  

If you want to get the best possible high ISO shots from the G10, I would suggest shooting in raw, converting the file at full resolution with your preferred raw converter, and applying noise reduction with a program like Noiseware Pro.
John DeMott

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:53:57 pm »

Quote from: jdemott
To answer your specific question first--most raw conversion software can produce a lower resolution jpeg file from a raw file.  The DPP software that comes with your G10 will do the job (click Convert and Save under the file menu and then complete the dialog settings for the desired size).  Adobe Camera Raw will also open files into Photoshop at various sizes which can be saved as jpegs.

With the G10, you already have the ability to shoot low resolution jpegs at any time should you find it useful to do so.  However, shooting a lower resolution file by itself does not solve the problem of high ISO noise.  If you shoot a high ISO image with the G10 (or any compact camera) there will be considerable noise.  That noise can be corrected (to a degree) with the use of noise removal software (either in-camera software or software on your computer).  Any noise reduction software will have the unfortunate side effect of destroying detail in the image  (the more you reduce noise the more detail you will destroy) so that the image after noise removal will have no more detail than if you had shot a noise-free image at lower resolution.  Some people might say that you should convert the file to a lower resolution file at that point, but I would prefer to leave it at the original size and simply print at a smaller size.  

If you want to get the best possible high ISO shots from the G10, I would suggest shooting in raw, converting the file at full resolution with your preferred raw converter, and applying noise reduction with a program like Noiseware Pro.

Yes understood, but I wanna know if a software exist that can do for example "mean of 4 pixels" to obtain a lower resolution but higher quality picture (4 time the pixel surface) !

G10 can also produce awfull JPG picture, see below, but shooting RAW allows you to greatly improve quality, 2nd sample !

Thierry

[attachment=10152:Awfull_JPG_G10.JPG][attachment=10153:RAW_JPG_G10.JPG]

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:28:01 pm »

Quote from: thierrylegros396
Don't hesitate to put here your comment of your new G10 !!!

Thierry

Good camera. Would be brilliant with a 6MP sensor based on the latest technology.

Cheers,
Bernard

flash

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:27 am »

I love this camera. Based on it's sensor size and body size it shoots well above its weight. I have no problems with the jpegs. I find them very sharp.

Things I would like to see on the G11

NO MORE PIXELS.
Articulating sceen
Wide angle converter that's acctually wide. <20mm.
Fisheye converter. Nikon did it on the P5000. I don't see why canon can build one.
An underwater housing that can have a wide converter lens attached.

Gordon
Pages: [1]   Go Up