Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7880 and Imageprint RIP or 7990 and no RIP ?  (Read 5223 times)

DLC

Epson 7880 and Imageprint RIP or 7990 and no RIP ?
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »

I need to get a new 24" printer sometime soon. I am familiar with the Imageprint on the X800 Epson printers and have had wonderful, hassle-free results with it.  But it turns out that a 7880 plus the full version Imageprint RIP is about equal in cost to a 7900 with no RIP. In fact, it appears that no Imageprint RIP yet exists for the 7900, probably because it is so new. I know the Imageprint Phat Black option is not needed on the 7900 to avoid wasting loads of ink when swapping black inks as it is on the 7800 and 7880. But the RIP and its profiles give beautiful results that some say are very difficult to achieve otherwise.

Given about $4000, what would YOU do, and why? Any and all comments welcome.

tony wyeth

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:59:30 pm »

I have a new 9900 and print through Qimage with first class results. I could go on at length about the 9900, so many improvements in all areas, no ink clogs yet. it just does a little clean on its own,and paper handeling both cut sheets or rollpaper etc.Print quality is excellent.
From my experiance I would definitely go with the 7900.Please ask.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 02:23:12 pm »

IF you're not doing CMYK cross rendering OR printing Postscript/Vector art, there's no reason for such a RIP. For workflow capabilities, just print out of Lightroom (far less money).

I'd go 7900/Lightroom for sure.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:23:56 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DLC

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 07:42:32 pm »

Thanks very much for the replies!

I'm definitely leaning toward the Epson 7900, assuming I can get it to where it needs to go in my house.

I need to move it through around a corner in a hallway and it won't fit lengthwise.

Does anyone know if it's possible to stand these printers vertically on end, without the stand, to maneuver it into the room? There would obviously be no ink in it and although it would be unboxed whatever Epson does to secure things inside would still be in place.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 07:55:27 pm »

Quote from: DLC
Does anyone know if it's possible to stand these printers vertically on end, without the stand, to maneuver it into the room? There would obviously be no ink in it and although it would be unboxed whatever Epson does to secure things inside would still be in place.

Well I just got a 7900 and it was a real job to just get it inside the door with 2 people. It is really heavy and bulky and I think it would be a real job to attempt to stand it on end. It wasn't boxed like the earlier printers which had a short sided bottom to the box (which was easy to slide through the doorway so I thought 2 people could do it). This one comes on a skid with a large box top. Large styrofoam pieces all over the place.

I'm now trying to get three other people over here to help set it up...

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:29:23 am »

I'm definitely leaning toward the Epson 7900, assuming I can get it to where it needs to go in my house.

I need to move it through around a corner in a hallway and it won't fit lengthwise.

They are not designed to be stood on their end - you may well have problems if you do it and anything bends or moves out of position on the rail (for example).  They are aligned with extreme precision and their structures are just not designed to bear weight at such an angle.

Whether or not you will have problems would only be discovered by doing it, but my guess is your local Epson may have issues with warranty if you do that to it - I would *definitely* get their OK on it before doing it.

Have you considered putting it through a window?

You may not believe this, but I'm aware of a user in Sydney who wanted a 7900 and like you would not have been able to get it into her home where she wanted it (6th floor apartment).  Her method of resolution?  She moved :-)  I kid you not!
Phil Brown

DLC

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:51 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
They are not designed to be stood on their end - you may well have problems if you do it and anything bends or moves out of position on the rail (for example).  They are aligned with extreme precision and their structures are just not designed to bear weight at such an angle.

Whether or not you will have problems would only be discovered by doing it, but my guess is your local Epson may have issues with warranty if you do that to it - I would *definitely* get their OK on it before doing it.

Have you considered putting it through a window?

You may not believe this, but I'm aware of a user in Sydney who wanted a 7900 and like you would not have been able to get it into her home where she wanted it (6th floor apartment).  Her method of resolution?  She moved :-)  I kid you not!
I checked this out with Epson. The following is my question to them and their reply for others facing the same issue.

Question: In order to get the 7900 to the room I'd like to put it in, I need to move it around a corner in a hallway. It will not fit lengthwise. Assuming careful handling, will it damage anything if we stand the printer (without the stand) vertically on end to maneuver it around the corner? There would obviously be no ink in the printer yet, and although it would be unboxed, whatever Epson does to secure things inside would still be in place.

Epson's Answer: Thank you for taking the time to contact Epson. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry. That is fine. Just know that if you ever need to move the printer out, you'll likely need to have all the ink drained from the system.

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:24 pm »

I checked this out with Epson. The following is my question to them and their reply for others facing the same issue.

Question: In order to get the 7900 to the room I'd like to put it in, I need to move it around a corner in a hallway. It will not fit lengthwise. Assuming careful handling, will it damage anything if we stand the printer (without the stand) vertically on end to maneuver it around the corner? There would obviously be no ink in the printer yet, and although it would be unboxed, whatever Epson does to secure things inside would still be in place.

Epson's Answer: Thank you for taking the time to contact Epson. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry. That is fine. Just know that if you ever need to move the printer out, you'll likely need to have all the ink drained from the system.

Interesting.  That's good news for you!  Keep a copy of that email, because if someone goes wrong and you need warranty coverage you'll be relying on that.

I would recommend that anyone wanting to do this also contact Epson directly to obtain a response.  The printers really aren't designed to be handled in that manner :-)
Phil Brown

DLC

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:58:04 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
Interesting.  That's good news for you!  Keep a copy of that email, because if someone goes wrong and you need warranty coverage you'll be relying on that.

I would recommend that anyone wanting to do this also contact Epson directly to obtain a response.  The printers really aren't designed to be handled in that manner :-)

I agree about keeping the response email from Epson. It comes with an "incident number" in the subject line for reference.

tony wyeth

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:57:06 am »

I had to do a similer manoeuvre with my 9900. The end is not strong but the bottom edge is,so make sure that you keep the weight on the corner and you should be OK. I had a bit of carpet to spread the load, the 9900 is a fair bit heaver than the 7900. Go for it, I have had some wonderful prints today.All the best.

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:21:44 pm »

Quote from: tony wyeth
I had to do a similer manoeuvre with my 9900. The end is not strong but the bottom edge is,so make sure that you keep the weight on the corner and you should be OK. I had a bit of carpet to spread the load, the 9900 is a fair bit heaver than the 7900. Go for it, I have had some wonderful prints today.All the best.
I have taken 9800's up in lifts in nearly vertical position several times without a problem. It helps to have some polystyrene to hand to spread the load away from anything that sticks out or has a sharp (ie fragile) edge.
 taking out all the inks and paper reduces the weight
 taping down the doors or removing them is a good idea too.
the plastic bits clipped on the bottom are the most likely to get caught on something while manouvering.
you need a couple of people to help put it in the lift and another 2 to help you out if there isnt enough room in a small lift for 3 people and the printer
(reminds me of the How do you get an elephant in a fridge question)

edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Doombrain

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 06:01:44 pm »

You'll be OK as long as you're very careful, the units not charged and the head lock's still in place.
Oh and don't rest it on it's side as it's a heavy printer and could break.

PS, lol at having to drain the ink out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up