Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista/Monitor Calibration bug...  (Read 4474 times)

Paul Wright

Vista/Monitor Calibration bug...
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:59 am »

Cross Posted

A few photographers & designers I know have had highly irritating issues with Vista and monitor calibration. What happens is you run the calibration, (using EyeOne Display2 or similar) save the profile and everything is sweet….until you turn off and turn on again for your next session. The new profile is nowhere to be seen and the system reverts to the generic default monitor profile. So each time you start up, it’s out with the puck for a quick calibration. Sure, it’s fast and simple, but totally not-on in the real world. Each of these photographers lost a day evaporating Vista, installing XP32 plus all the programs & settings etc. Mind numbing stuff.

I currently run XP64 on a very fast machine, but frankly it has been a disappointment, nowhere near as stable as XP32, very buggy and in spite of having access to a substantial percentage of the 8Gb of memory, seems no more productive than my older XP32 machine.

To get the best out of CS4 and LR2, a 64 bit OS environment is essential. XP64 requires a dodgy registry hack to run CS4 properly, which brings us back around to Vista 64. Has Microsoft delivered a patch with the recent Vista service pack to address the issue of the disappearing monitor profile?

Thanks & regards,

Paul Wright

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:07:04 pm »

I'm running Vista64 Ultimate and I've never had my monitor profile disappear, I'm not sure what could cause that but it sounds suspiciously like user error or a misunderstanding of some sort.

There _is_ a bug where when UAC activates the "secure" desktop, the LUT's in the video card get reset. The fix is to re-run the profile loader (which will re-load the LUT's), or disable UAC. My monitor has hardware LUT's so I don't have to worry about this though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:07:29 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:10:16 am »

I had the problem with the monitor profile disappearing upon recovery from a "Sleep" session when I was using the original calibration software that came with my Eye-One Display 2 puck.  That stopped being happening when I switched to the NEC Spectraview II calibration software.  Spectraview II is an excellent product that is worth the ~$100.  Runs fine under Vista64.

But except for the "Sleep" issue I never had any problems with my calibrated profiles loading correctly on a normal bootup with either of the software packages on XP32, XP64, or Vista64 machines.  It could be your video card manufacturer's ever-so-helpful utility application is doing you the favor or resetting your LUT's sometime after your calibration loader runs.  For instance if I invoke the Nvidia Control Panel and make the slightest adjustment, it completely blows up my calibration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up