Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1dsmkII  and 100mm macro 2.8  (Read 2891 times)

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
1dsmkII  and 100mm macro 2.8
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:09:39 pm »

Reproductions of what?

oeleke

• www.raoulsomers.lu
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 03:07:39 pm »

sorry, i need to make reproductions of old photo's. 700x
50x60 cm b&w.
I bought today the lens, first results look intresting.
Made a studio set up with my cambo camera stand, 2 flash lamps left/right.
the problem with this size of photo's the camera hangs high in the air, so i need to step up and down a stairs.
but when everything is set i hope to go on shooting.
I'll work in raw on my 1dsMKII, do a 10 sharpening in acr, and the rest with photokit.
don't now yet the best workflow on sharpening and converting to b&w.
any help is welcome.

raoul.

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:07:37 pm »

Now that you have the lens, I would do a test to find the sweet spot in terms of aperture. Probably in the 5.6 to 11 range, but that will depend on the lens and the distance from the subject. The 100 2.8 is a very sharp lens, even wide open, but it's good to know. You might also want to try processing in C1. In every comparison I've made, C1 had lower noise and slightly finer resolved detail, when compared to even the latest version of ACR. The choice, however, is yours to make. Shooting old photos, you may or may not want to retain any age coloring they have, but you certainly won't need any plugins for making them neutral black and white. Good luck, this sounds like a tedious project.

oeleke

• www.raoulsomers.lu
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 04:38:33 pm »

Anyone is using this combo?
I would like to use it for reproductions, is this a wise investment?

Kind regards,

Raoul.

David R. Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 04:19:26 pm »

I used this combo to shoot small valve parts on seamless white background paper. Client was very happy with sharpness, color etc. Pics were used for catalogue, but had potential to make posters, should the client desire. I used manual focus and exposure, bracketed 1/2 stop either way, after using camera histogram to determine basic exposure. Camera on tripod, and lighting was open shade in client's garage with garage door open, shading from direct sun. Nice soft unidirectional lighting.
Dave

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 06:02:08 pm »

The 50mm f/2.5 macro lens is also highly regarded for its sharpness and flat field. You may find it useful for the larger works. Also, if you use the camera tethered to a computer, you can adjust the settings and release the shutter from the computer and avoid lots of trips up and down the ladder.

For B&W conversion, I highly recommend the Convert To B&W Pro plugin from theimagingfactory.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up