Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading posted images  (Read 4683 times)

Mark F

Downloading posted images
« on: December 04, 2008, 10:28:48 am »

After posting images for the first time on any site I noticed this morning that each had been downloaded more than 20 times.   I guess it's a compliment that someone would want to download my image but I'm hoping there aren't lurkers here who download images and then use them for their own commercial purposes.  

Is this to be expected whenever images are posted, so I'm taking my chances or is there a way to prevent downloading?

Thanks.
Mark

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:35:04 am »

In order to be seen the images have to be downloaded.

Mark F

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:28:29 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
In order to be seen the images have to be downloaded.

Got it. So it's really a count of how many people have viewed the images and has nothing to do with downloading to their own computer.

Thanks.
Mark

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:35:06 am »

Quote from: Mark F
Got it. So it's really a count of how many people have viewed the images and has nothing to do with downloading to their own computer.
No, you did not get it; you misunderstand the term "downloading". There is no viewing the image without downloading it. How do you think it is creeping on your monitor?
Gabor

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 11:36:13 am »

After posting images for the first time on any site I noticed this morning that each had been downloaded more than 20 times.   I guess it's a compliment that someone would want to download my image but I'm hoping there aren't lurkers here who download images and then use them for their own commercial purposes.  

Is this to be expected whenever images are posted, so I'm taking my chances or is there a way to prevent downloading?

Thanks.

There is no way to prevent image downloading. But, if you resample your images to the low resolution that is appropriate for web display, the downloaded images will not be too useful to anyone. The chance of having your material (images or text) stolen are all part of using the web, and my advice is not to fret about it because there's nothing you can do, really - except pity the poor losers who need to steal the work of others!

Peter

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:54:33 pm »

If you don't want others to "steal" your images, the only option is not to post them online. If it is viewable on a browser, it can be very easily copied.

As suggested, post only in sizes you feel comfortable in freely distributing. You might also want to use a watermark (visible or not), or even go the Digimarc route - although all of these have questionable benefits other than informing the viewer where to find the copyright holder.

Mark F

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:41 pm »

PeterAit and feppe, thanks for the good advice.

I guess, Panpopeeper that not being a techie I did not understand the full meaning of downloading. I always thought that downloading a file is an actual transfer of that file that would now sit on my own hard drive.  Like when I download a software package or update. As for how I was viewing images on my own monitor, I thought that it worked the same way as viewing anything else on the net, say the replies to my post on this Beginner's Forum. Live and learn.
Mark

Panopeeper

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

I always thought that downloading a file is an actual transfer of that file that would now sit on my own hard drive.  Like when I download a software package or update
Off topic, but I think it's important enough to further explain it.

Almost everything, what you see in Internet has been downloaded to your own hard drive. For example all pictures you see as part of any page are downloaded and kept on the hard drive. Try this: you go to a new page and wait till everything is there, including images. Now enter another address, look at that and then press "back". The page you saw formerly will be displayed now instantly (there are exceptions). How come? The formerly downloaded content has been saved and now the same content is displayed again, without downloading it again.

The very same is happening, when you are explicitely downloading something., the difference is being only where the content goes. In case you explicitely download something you can (have to) specify the location where to store it. The implicite downloading goes into some folder(s), which you normally don't get to see. In Windows this is called Temporary Internet Files (lots of subfolders); no idea about Mac. If you fnd this place on your computer and can browse in it, you will be surprized, how much garbage is kept there; thousands and thousands of files of all types probably in gigabytes size.

The exceptions are: streaming video (displayed on the fly), and display with specialized programs of pictures, which get downloaded in pieces. Some of these programs prevent storing the image data. This does not prevent people from saving it, but it makes that more difficult.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:03:19 pm by Panopeeper »
Gabor

Mark F

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:25:35 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I have a better idea now of how things work.  

Quote from: Panopeeper
Off topic, but I think it's important enough to further explain it.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up