Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF View Camera Idea !  (Read 2220 times)

jvora

MF View Camera Idea !
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:01:41 am »

Hello All :

In a moment of eureka ( well, sort of ), I came up with this - Would like to know your thoughts !

Currently, we have Leaf Digital Backs that are able to rotate from Landscape to Portrait ( and vise-a-versa ) positions without "detaching" the entire back and achieving this feat simply by turning and external wheel which is connected to the base of the sensor, thus rotating only the sensor inside the back.

How about if manufactures of digital backs were to extend this feature and permit the sensor inside the back to be controlled so that it can be Tilted, Swung and, if the any vertical space is available, even Shifted over the appropriate axis !

Employing the above feature with Tilt-Shift lenses one just may have a fully functioning MF View Camera !!

To aid in the above approach, the Blad already has an adapter which makes most of their lenses Tilt-Shift lenses - Others can follow this approach if necessary !

Yes, some changes to the camera body will have to be made ( i.e. body made shorter so that the shutter blades do not rub/hit the tilted/swung sensor, etc. ) and possibly several other modifications.

One additional hurdle will also need to be overcome and that being the ability to view the effect of the tilt, swing or shift of the sensor through the viewfinder - This mostly will not be possible - But this issue could be mitigated through a live view function so that what the image as "seen" by the sensor is seen on the backs LCD display or if the back is tethered to a computer.

What say - do-able ?? Do photographers really miss view camera functions in current MF systems ?? I sometimes do when shooting Still Life !

Jai
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:32:03 am by jvora »

michele

MF View Camera Idea !
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 06:10:41 am »

Well, you'd need a very big camera for this kind of possibilities, because you need space where you can move the sensor on the back, so you need lenses with a bigger coverage. With a big camera it's very difficult to design a good short focal lenght like a 35mm or a 28mm (take the Afi as exemple) and it would be very expensive... Naturally you need to see what it's happening to the image, that's why in a view camera we still have a ground glass, so you need a very good live-view and all the problems we know... Actually, it seems a good idea have the tilt and shift capability direct in the back, but it's very complicated and very very expensive. I think that a view camera it's not good just cause of the movements, but also for the possibility of using those terrific schneider and rodesntock lenses...
I, indeed, was told by a PhaseOne dealer that it's very probable that phaseone and schneider will make an union and one day, i hope not very far, i could be able to use schneider designed optics on my PhaseOne 645...who knows...

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
MF View Camera Idea !
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:18 pm »

I think Ive suggested this before

the sensor could even go forward backwards for AF !

And up and down to 'VR'

and up and down to shake of dust

Its about time the MF makers came up with something interesting

add an ability to shoot a 25/30 FPS 1/4 resolution then I would be wide awake

if the camera had no mirror because it was live view creation of wide angle lenses would be more possible

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

jvora

MF View Camera Idea !
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:13:33 am »

Hello Morgan :

I wish I had read your post - I was not aware of it -

Seems like we were independently thinking alike !

Yep ! There are some hurdles, but maybe, just maybe sometime in the near future !!

Thanks for your thoughts !

Jai

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
I think Ive suggested this before

the sensor could even go forward backwards for AF !

And up and down to 'VR'

and up and down to shake of dust

Its about time the MF makers came up with something interesting

add an ability to shoot a 25/30 FPS 1/4 resolution then I would be wide awake

if the camera had no mirror because it was live view creation of wide angle lenses would be more possible

S

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
MF View Camera Idea !
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:20:36 am »

Quote from: jvora
Hello Morgan :

I wish I had read your post -

dont worry no one reads my posts !

Moving the sensor is a great idea IMO such possiblilities for reducing the mechanics of body and lenses

with possibilities for reduced costs, size etc

however a gimballed floating sensor is surely en engineering challenge of the highest order

but maybe not - we can buy an VR lens for $1000 one assumes that they are gimballed - Ive never takan a VR lens apart - and wont be

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MF View Camera Idea !
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:56:09 am »

I do, Sam!

Thierry

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
dont worry no one reads my posts !
S
Thierry Hagenauer