Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loch Achray, Ben Venue Scotland  (Read 5180 times)

vorlich

Loch Achray, Ben Venue Scotland
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:05:03 pm »

Hi all,

Although I've been shooting for around 18 months, this photo is a first for me in terms of all the pieces seeming to come together, resulting in an image I'm pleased with, rather than the usual disappointments. However, sometimes it's hard to evaluate objectively when you've worked on it from start to finish.

Anyway, thanks in advance, fire away.

[attachment=10089:achray.jpg]

Canon 350D
Exposure:0.3 sec (3/10)
Aperture:   f/22
Kit Lens @25 mm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:08:32 pm by vorlich »

erictoddjohnson

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:37:42 pm »

I'd say it came together very well!  Good composition, and I really like your processing.

Eric J.

Silver Birch Studio

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverbirchstudio/
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:59:01 pm »

Gorgeous, love the soft texture on the clouds.
~ Julie

Happy shooting!

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 12:20:28 pm »

Beautiful.  My good monitor died, so I'm viewing on a poor monitor, but it appears that the reflection is noticeably brighter and yellower than the actual scene.  It may be a small point, but it appears a little unnatural. The photo is beautiful nonetheless.
Dean Erger

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 01:32:31 pm »

Quote from: vorlich
Hi all,

Although I've been shooting for around 18 months, this photo is a first for me in terms of all the pieces seeming to come together, resulting in an image I'm pleased with, rather than the usual disappointments. However, sometimes it's hard to evaluate objectively when you've worked on it from start to finish.

Anyway, thanks in advance, fire away.

[attachment=10089:achray.jpg]

Canon 350D
Exposure:0.3 sec (3/10)
Aperture:   f/22
Kit Lens @25 mm
I think I like it, but it's a bit difficult to tell - could you post a larger version, please?

Jeremy

vorlich

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:46:12 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I think I like it, but it's a bit difficult to tell - could you post a larger version, please?

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

If you click the small version, you should get a 500pixel version in a pop-up window.

thanks

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:01:02 am »

Hi Jeremy,

If you click the small version, you should get a 500pixel version in a pop-up window.

thanks
I know. Maybe my ageing eyes are failing, but I find even a 500-pixel version rather small for any meaningful assessment. Huge shots (raw-file size) don't work either, but I think it's safe to say that most people reading this forum have monitors which are at least 1024x768 and probably very much larger. Could you post a version say four times the size (that is, each edge doubled) of the one you have put up already? If copyright is a concern, add a watermark.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:02:29 am by kikashi »

vorlich

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:19 am »

Quote from: kikashi
I know. Maybe my ageing eyes are failing, but I find even a 500-pixel version rather small for any meaningful assessment. Huge shots (raw-file size) don't work either, but I think it's safe to say that most people reading this forum have monitors which are at least 1024x768 and probably very much larger. Could you post a version say four times the size (that is, each edge doubled) of the one you have put up already? If copyright is a concern, add a watermark.

Jeremy

Ah OK. There's a larger version over at my flickr page.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 07:09:46 am »

Ah OK. There's a larger version over at my flickr page.
Much better, thanks! Now I can see it, my initial impression is confirmed: I do like it!

You can put shots up on the forum here by adding a link, you know. They appear full-size inline. I've not tried it myself, as I prefer the thumbnail approach (with a large shot behind the thumbnail).

Jeremy

vorlich

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 03:13:33 pm »

Thanks all. dmerger, you're absolutely right, I overcooked it in my efforts  to warm the scene, I have now rectified it, the result is a much more balanced image.

[attachment=10161:Ben_Venu...h_Achray.jpg]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:15:14 pm by vorlich »

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:08:19 pm »

Thanks all. dmerger, you're absolutely right, I overcooked it in my efforts  to warm the scene, I have now rectified it, the result is a much more balanced image.

[attachment=10161:Ben_Venu...h_Achray.jpg]

Simply a gorgeous image. I like the darkness all around and the light up on the peak (and in the reflection thereof). Your edits have corrected my only concerns and I don't think there is anything left to nitpick about either. Very nice all around.

I bet this would work very well as a print (probably even better than online here).

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 09:17:31 am »

Pretty spectacular--not much else to say about it, you definitely surpassed the mark here.
-Sean [ we

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 09:25:37 am »

A beautiful image - the light is superb, giving a muted, almost watercolour feel to it. It would have been so less interesting had the sky been clear; sometimes a dreich day is just what you want.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 03:58:13 am »

What a wonderful picture. Its images like this that make the spine tingle, that feeling you get when you just know you've nailed the perfect shot.
Pete Truman
Pages: [1]   Go Up