Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiles  (Read 3360 times)

Hawkeye

Profiles
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:24:39 am »

Selecting a profile from the drop down list in CS3 can be quite confusing because of the vast number of profiles in the list that appear to be quite irelevant to the task in hand. Is it possible to tidy this list up - or maybe put the unnecessary profiles in another folder, and can profiles be deleted or renamed?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:25:25 am by Hawkeye »

whawn

• The Daily Photographâ„¢
Profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 01:31:58 pm »

Quote from: Hawkeye
...maybe put the unnecessary profiles in another folder, and can profiles be deleted or renamed?
In WinXP,  I've made an 'unused profiles' folder in the <C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool> directory.  That seems to keep them out of trouble, but still available.  You can simply delete them, if you like, but who knows when you might need one?  I haven't tried renaming in place.  Using left-click>uninstall profile seems to either do nothing or generate an error.

To reinstall a profile you've moved, left click>Install Profile.  That sends a copy to <C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color>, while leaving the original in place.

Color-think has what looks like a versatile and useful 'profile manager' included in their product, but it's not freeware.
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

Hawkeye

Profiles
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 04:06:04 am »

Quote from: whawn
In WinXP,  I've made an 'unused profiles' folder in the <C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool> directory.  That seems to keep them out of trouble, but still available.  You can simply delete them, if you like, but who knows when you might need one?  I haven't tried renaming in place.  Using left-click>uninstall profile seems to either do nothing or generate an error.

To reinstall a profile you've moved, left click>Install Profile.  That sends a copy to <C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color>, while leaving the original in place.

Color-think has what looks like a versatile and useful 'profile manager' included in their product, but it's not freeware.

Thanks for the info Walter - I've had a look at color-think, excellent software but it would be a very expensive way just to tidy up the profiles dialog!! I have found a possible freeware solution and will try that later today and will post my thoughts on what it will do.
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up