Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i view media pro, catalogue sets  (Read 3943 times)

annesophieheist

• http://www.annesophieheist.com
i view media pro, catalogue sets
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:40:34 am »

I am helping out a photographer who is doing some DAM work and we are creating different catalogues for each job which we will merge into a master catalogue at the end of the year with iview media pro. i am still trying to get my head around but have one question so far.  
I was wondering if there is a way that I can copy, import catalogue sets I have already created?
If any one of you can help me it would  be greatly appreciated ....

many thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:43 am »

You'd be better advised to put the pictures into the master catalogue now. But you could always coy the master catalogue, removed all images from the copy catalogue, and then use copies of it each time you start a new catalogue.

La'akea

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 02:54:52 am »

Quote from: annesophieheist
I am helping out a photographer who is doing some DAM work and we are creating different catalogues for each job which we will merge into a master catalogue at the end of the year with iview media pro. i am still trying to get my head around but have one question so far.  
I was wondering if there is a way that I can copy, import catalogue sets I have already created?
If any one of you can help me it would  be greatly appreciated ....

many thanks

Hi - yes, its actually very easy to do. I simply create a new catalog, then File > Import Items > From Catalog File. Or I just select the images from one catalog and drag and drop them to a new one.

La'akea

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:56 am »

Oh - and I agree with johnbeardy that its much easier to simply dump all your images into a single master database then extract the images that you want/need.

annesophieheist

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:35:14 am »

Quote from: La'akea
Oh - and I agree with johnbeardy that its much easier to simply dump all your images into a single master database then extract the images that you want/need.

In having only one master database wouldnt that slow down the application when opening up in any way? is there any limit to that database?
hmmm,..... maybe we need to rethink that

annesophieheist

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:58:49 am »

Quote from: La'akea
Hi - yes, its actually very easy to do. I simply create a new catalog, then File > Import Items > From Catalog File. Or I just select the images from one catalog and drag and drop them to a new one.

I just tried to copy the catalogue sets from one catalog to another and did file- import items- from catalog file but nothing changed. the new catalog set folder stayed empty.

right now we have created a catalog template where i have added all the catalog sets i could think off, saved it as that without importing any images into that catalog and so i always open that first and then drag and drop the folder of images into that . is that the right way to do?

annesophieheist

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:00:40 am »

i am talking about the catalog sets which are in the organise panel of iview.
hmmmm, i am confused...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:05:08 am »

The limit on a single catalogue is 128000 items, or a 2Gb ivc file , though effectively that's 1.5Gb. To get the most images into the catalogue, don't set the import previews option, and set the thumbnails size to something like 320 pixels and at medium quality.

iView is there to organize and control your picture collection. Breaking it into smaller catalogues is breaking up that organization and control, so you'll inevitably hit issues just like you are doing now. If it slows down a bit, it's a small price to pay - and less than the time you'll waste trying to keep multiple catalogues in sync.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:06:19 am by johnbeardy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up