Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!!. Having problems calibrating Canon IPF5100  (Read 11381 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Help!!. Having problems calibrating Canon IPF5100
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:34:28 pm »

Hi everyone
This is my first taste of the forum. I have recently purchased a Canon IPF 5100 A2 Printer.
I got ICC profiles for the paper I use for images from a professional camera store. I have used them before for profiles for my previous printers and know they are reliable. I print in photoshop using the Canon plug in which allows me to print in 16bit.

I set the following settings.
I select my custom ICC profile for my output profile
Matching method is set to perceptual
I select photo paper Pearl as my media type. Is this ok? My paper is Hahnemuhle fine art pearl
There is no option to turn of colour management using the plugin. You do not go from a CS3 menu to a canon menu so there is no conflict.

Because the prints are way to dark I have to increase the brightness manually in the page setup. I increase it to +15. In case you are not familiar with the program 30 is the maximum

I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I know my screen is calibrated. I also used a spyder 3 pro to do my own profile but the results are the same.

Can you please help.

Kind regards

tony field

• http://www.tphoto.ca
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:04 pm »

I assume your comments are related to the "Soft Proof"  (CTL/Y) being too dark.

One thing I have found out is that many folks set their monitor to be quite bright.  This gives a sensation that the prints are too dark.  My solution to this problem is to set the monitor brightness so that a white background (such as the white on NotePad or other word processor) is sort of a pearly white - not a glaring white.  When this is done, very often you can get a good match between the screen and print.  In my case, on the new HP2475 monitor, the print-to-screen match is virtually perfect.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:53:18 pm by tony field »

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:39:44 pm »

Quote from: tony field
I assume your comments are related to the "Soft Proof"  (CTL/Y) being too dark.

One thing I have found out is that many folks set their monitor to be quite bright.  This gives a sensation that the prints are too dark.  My solution to this problem is to set the monitor brightness so that a white background (such as the white on NotePad or other word processor) is sort of a pearly white - not a glaring white.  When this is done, very often you can get a good match between the screen and print.  In my case, on the new HP2475 monitor, the print-to-screen match is virtually perfect.

The soft proof only changes the brightness slightly. If I did not manually change the brightness in the printer plug-in the prints would be around 2 stops too dark. Black and whites come out the worst.

Enda

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:13:06 pm »

Quote from: Enda Cavanagh
I select photo paper Pearl as my media type. Is this ok? My paper is Hahnemuhle fine art pearl
There is no option to turn of colour management using the plugin. You do not go from a CS3 menu to a canon menu so there is no conflict.

Because the prints are way to dar...
I think your problem lies in your choice of media in the printer driver or in media used when the ICC profiles were made. Check the (lousy) User's Manual for what media setting is best for that paper. As for the ICC profile, find out exactly what settings were used when the profile was made.
~ CB

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:55:59 pm »

Enda, this Canon-large-format forum... http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/list/FAQ ...should be helpful to you.

BTW I too have a new 5100 and am struggling a bit with profiles, etc..

EdLev

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 07:04:58 pm »

Hi everyone
This is my first taste of the forum. I have recently purchased a Canon IPF 5100 A2 Printer.
I got ICC profiles for the paper I use for images from a professional camera store. I have used them before for profiles for my previous printers and know they are reliable. I print in photoshop using the Canon plug in which allows me to print in 16bit.

Because the prints are way to dark I have to increase the brightness manually in the page setup. I increase it to +15. In case you are not familiar with the program 30 is the maximum

I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I know my screen is calibrated. I also used a spyder 3 pro to do my own profile but the results are the same.

Can you please help.

Kind regards

Hello,
This is my first time to any forum and I just started learning photography and printing.  Recently, I purchased the Canon 6100 and I too am having problems with prints much to dark, but only in the shadow areas.  That is, the mid-range on the light areas look excellent and match on both my calibrated monitor and the print.  But the dark areas do not match and are way too dark.  I am using the profiles generated by Canon at their digital learning center.  I am currently working on this problem.  Now, I am using CS2.  What I usually do, is to convert my images directly to the color space specified by the paper-printer profile.  This is done in photoshop CS2.  The reason I do this in CS2 is that many of the profiles are now produced to a new standard that the Canon export module will not process.  Then after this conversion I use the export module, specifying no color management.  Now this method should be superior to converting the image to say Adobe RGB and then letting the export module do the conversion from say Adobe RGB to the printer-paper profile. That is, this method requires one conversion whereas the Canon recommedation requires a double conversion.  When I called Canon about my dark image problem, they said I was doing it all wrong.  The claimed that I had to have the the image associated with either Adobe RGB or sRGB before entering the plug-in.  Then specify the ICC profile, along with the media setting in that module.  I said I will do it, but it should not make a difference and in fact my method was superior because it avoided the double conversion.  But it did make a difference.  The shadows areas were better matched to the monitor although still way too dark.  I am currently having custom profiles done and I will try and get to the bottom of this problem; it is very frustrating.  By the way, when these images are viewed outside in very bright daylight, they look terrific.  So there may be an additional problem pertaining to black points or luminosity (of the monitor).  

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 03:09:57 pm »

Quote from: EdLev
So there may be an additional problem pertaining to black points or luminosity (of the monitor).

Your probably right there.

I would suggest you go here.

http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html

And download the profile test images. You can then compare them to what you images look like on the screen and compare to your printed images. That will give you a good idea where to start in making proper color management decisions.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 07:55:31 am »

I contacted Hahnemuhle
They have just got in a 5100 and are going to do tests on it. They will get back to me with the results and hopefully let me know where I'm going wrong. I'll let you all know when I hear back from them

wenkoff

• http://www.josephwenkoff.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:28:09 am »

Hello there,
Did they ever get back with a proper setting? What did your final workflow end up being. I am having similar problems with darkness. even after calibrating my monitor and soft-proofing. Any knowledge you picked up would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

I contacted Hahnemuhle
They have just got in a 5100 and are going to do tests on it. They will get back to me with the results and hopefully let me know where I'm going wrong. I'll let you all know when I hear back from them

mattwade

• http://www.mattwadeart.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 04:55:53 pm »

I have an ipf6100 and have had similar issues with dark prints compared to the monitor. I did discover one thing that helped me. In Photoshop CS3's soft proofing window (View > Proof Setup > Custom) I UNCHECKED the Black Point Compensation box. The rendering intent is set to Relative Chromatic. Now when I am soft proofing in Photoshop the darks and lights I see on the monitor match the darks and lights in my prints. Before, the prints were always way darker than what I saw on my monitor. My monitor was calibrated with an Eye-One Display 2. I hope this helps.

gardnerdw

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 10:27:08 pm »

May daughter purchased an IPF5100 and the prints were dark after profiling with an x-rite pulse.  Custom profiles made by 2 venders did not help. When I posted on other forums most responses have blamed the monitor profile.  When I purchased a 6100 in Oct. my prints were also dark.  First profiled with x-rite pulse did not help.  I worked out how to lighten before printing but did not fix problem.  When pulse failed I purchased spider3elete and spider3print.  Still had dark print.  I soon realized when I compared pure colors and printed colors, the colors were the same color but printed patches were much darker.  When I adjusted the brightness by + 12 before creating the profile (trial and error) I was able to get excellent match between screen and print. I have used test images from several sources to be sure it was not how I was processing the images..  
When I applied this to my daughter’s  5100 printer, I get similar improvements.
It is my conclusion, after reading numerous posts on several forms that the IPF x100 series printers print significantly darker than the IPF x000 printers and that profiling does not help this problem. (Including custom profiles from reliable sources)
PS: I have had problems with numerous papers and paper settings, including canon papers using canon settings and have calibrated the printer colors several times to be sure the printer was calibrated.

David Gardner

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:19:15 pm »

Quote from: gardnerdw
It is my conclusion, after reading numerous posts on several forms that the IPF x100 series printers print significantly darker than the IPF x000 printers and that profiling does not help this problem.
I have profiled hundreds of iPF x000 and x100 printers and can say without a shadow of a doubt that this is not the case. Like all fine art machines these profile fantastically well and conform nicely in a color managed workflow. If your prints appear to be too dark then the printing procedure is either incorrect or, more likely, the print viewing luminance is darker than the display's luminance.

Think about matching display whites to paper white. If they don't match then the display isn't properly calibrated. If paper white looks a lot darker than the whites on your display then the rest of the tonality is going to look dark as well. Is this not the case with your daughter's setup? What lighting are you viewing your prints under? Are you printing with the driver or plug-in? Exactly how are you printing your profiling targets?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up