Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edinburgh Castle at Night  (Read 2233 times)

EdinburghGary

Edinburgh Castle at Night
« on: December 02, 2008, 05:58:48 pm »

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate your thoughts on this image.  The technique involves a long exposure at night, and an exposure blend of two seperate white balance tweaks.  I wanted to emphasise the light pollution on the low level cloud and the seperation to the night sky.

Gary.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:20:59 pm »

The lower part of the image looks rather good to me. The top part, with its strong magenta, appears to be over the top (pardon the pun). I think that going back to a more natural-looking dark blue would help. I would also warm up a bit street lights, especially those that appear cold greenish-blue, so that there is a logical connection between the "light pollution" in orange and the street lights that create it. Do not get me wrong, even as-is, the picture is quite interesting and well composed, but since you asked for my thoughts, there you go...

EdinburghGary

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:05:24 am »

Quote from: slobodan56
The lower part of the image looks rather good to me. The top part, with its strong magenta, appears to be over the top (pardon the pun). I think that going back to a more natural-looking dark blue would help. I would also warm up a bit street lights, especially those that appear cold greenish-blue, so that there is a logical connection between the "light pollution" in orange and the street lights that create it. Do not get me wrong, even as-is, the picture is quite interesting and well composed, but since you asked for my thoughts, there you go...

Thanks very much.  I am definately in the "honest crit camp"  so fire away.  I like my crit to be harsh and to the point otherwise I might never learn.  Perhaps I need to look at a more natural version.

vorlich

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:17 pm »

Hi Gary,

I'd echo slobodan's comment on the sky. I have a thing about weird unnaturally coloured skies, I recognise the orange as traditional in UK urban areas, but can't help thinking a deep inky blue would be a better [more realistic] top third. Don't get me wrong, it's something I continue to make an arse of in my own photos,  but I am conscious of it and try to resist the temptation to make it colourful just to add interest.

So, if we're trying to add interest, [there's plenty in the middle ground ] maybe a flash or other light source [torch?] to provide a touch more detail to the Calton Hill foreground thingy, rather than taking the more silhouetted approach. [Take this with a pinch of salt, I'm viewing this on a crappy laptop screen.]   This leaves the upper sky to act as a backdrop to a glorious cityscape.

Hope this doesn't seem to harsh, feel free to get your own back on my Loch Achray shot.  

EdinburghGary

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:54:06 am »

Quote from: vorlich
Hi Gary,

I'd echo slobodan's comment on the sky. I have a thing about weird unnaturally coloured skies, I recognise the orange as traditional in UK urban areas, but can't help thinking a deep inky blue would be a better [more realistic] top third. Don't get me wrong, it's something I continue to make an arse of in my own photos,  but I am conscious of it and try to resist the temptation to make it colourful just to add interest.

So, if we're trying to add interest, [there's plenty in the middle ground ] maybe a flash or other light source [torch?] to provide a touch more detail to the Calton Hill foreground thingy, rather than taking the more silhouetted approach. [Take this with a pinch of salt, I'm viewing this on a crappy laptop screen.]   This leaves the upper sky to act as a backdrop to a glorious cityscape.

Hope this doesn't seem to harsh, feel free to get your own back on my Loch Achray shot.  

Thats mild mate   One of my close photographer friends says "Looks fake as f***"   I like my crit harsh as I want to learn loads!!!

Off to find your shot
Pages: [1]   Go Up