Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900  (Read 4423 times)

jbm007

Epson 7900
« on: December 02, 2008, 03:38:48 pm »

The 7900  has hit the US coast line. Some West coast dealers already have them. The US roll out for the 7900 is the week of December 15.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:47:28 pm by jbm007 »

jbm007

Epson 7900
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:34:29 am »

Just received my 7900 last night.  Took 3 big burly guys to get it off the truck

Weighs just shy of 300 lbs on the skid. Box is huge.  30'  x 60' x 42"

Loaded the inks last night. trying to get the latest drivers from the Epson site.

Will have some input over the weekend.  The 7900 makes the 7800 look like tinker toy. Huge, built like a brick s***  h******

No comparison in terms of construction.  Need to get a new cover made.

Jim

Quote from: jbm007
The 7900  has hit the US coast line. Some West coast dealers already have them. The US roll out for the 7900 is the week of December 15.

Jim

richardhagen

Epson 7900
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:51:29 pm »

Just received my 7900 last night.  Took 3 big burly guys to get it off the truck

Weighs just shy of 300 lbs on the skid. Box is huge.  30'  x 60' x 42"

Loaded the inks last night. trying to get the latest drivers from the Epson site.

Will have some input over the weekend.  The 7900 makes the 7800 look like tinker toy. Huge, built like a brick s***  h******

No comparison in terms of construction.  Need to get a new cover made.

Jim

Good luck with your new printer. For the size of the skid, I take it you meant: 30" x 60" x 42".

Did they just leave the skid at your front door, or did they bring the skid inside, and then unpack it for you? I am thinking about buying one but will need help getting it in an elevator and then some stairs. After seeing the 7900 in person I was first impressed with its size relative to the 7880 and then I was worried about how the heck I was going to deal with it if it was simply drop shipped.

rh
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:52:23 pm by richardhagen »

jbm007

Epson 7900
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 12:15:54 am »

They were supposed to delivery it with a tail gate. (they didn't)

I was prepared. I had 2 extras bodies and shipping dollies. No trucking company will help you bring it in the front door. Dock or tail gate doesn't matter. The will bring it to the end of the truck and unload it on the street. or dock only. Once you unpack it, two strong people can move it around. We had to take it down aflight of stairs and two of us were caring it down. The main unit weighs about 175 lbs.

Quote from: richardhagen
Good luck with your new printer. For the size of the skid, I take it you meant: 30" x 60" x 42".

Did they just leave the skid at your front door, or did they bring the skid inside, and then unpack it for you? I am thinking about buying one but will need help getting it in an elevator and then some stairs. After seeing the 7900 in person I was first impressed with its size relative to the 7880 and then I was worried about how the heck I was going to deal with it if it was simply drop shipped.

rh
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:16:33 am by jbm007 »

jbm007

Epson 7900
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:23:44 am »

Initial thoughts and impressions.

Much faster then the 7800 and 7880
Much quieter
Much heavier
The unit doesn't rock back and forth

The cutter blade sounds like one of those ancient assemblies that cut peoples head off. Much louder and faster then the old blades.

Need new profiles.

The starter cartridges have about 40-45% ink left in them after intial charging of system.  Set of 350 mil will set you back an additional $1750.00  OUCH.

Need to get a new cover made. Anybody remember the company that made covers for these big guys??

Jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Epson 7900
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 05:01:49 am »

Need new profiles.

You didn't get profiles installed with the driver?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jbm007

Epson 7900
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 07:35:27 am »

Yes I did.

But I use also use Lexjet's Sumerset Satin paper and the current profile available for the 7800 7880 needs to be updated. It is a little bit on the bright side.

Quote from: digitaldog
You didn't get profiles installed with the driver?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Epson 7900
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:40:32 am »

Yes I did.

But I use also use Lexjet's Sumerset Satin paper and the current profile available for the 7800 7880 needs to be updated. It is a little bit on the bright side.

You'll have to take that up with Lexjet or roll your own.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

richardhagen

Epson 7900
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 01:10:38 pm »

They were supposed to delivery it with a tail gate. (they didn't)

I was prepared. I had 2 extras bodies and shipping dollies. No trucking company will help you bring it in the front door. Dock or tail gate doesn't matter. The will bring it to the end of the truck and unload it on the street. or dock only. Once you unpack it, two strong people can move it around. We had to take it down aflight of stairs and two of us were caring it down. The main unit weighs about 175 lbs.

Yes, it does sound like you were prepared! Even if I tried, I couldn't get the additional volunteer to help with the heavy lifting, so I have to rely on a service. I've been exploring options for purchase/delivery of this printer. B&H offer a white glove service. This is what their web site says when purchasing this printer:

[blockquote]"B&H White Glove Delivery
B&H's White Glove Deluxe Delivery service is available across the country. Avoid the hassle and inconvenience of struggling to set up your large plasma and LCD entertainment center. No more heavy lifting; let the experts handle it.

This premium service provides trained delivery professionals who will bring your purchase into your home, unpack it . . . ."[/blockquote]

This might be a good solution to my delivery problem.

rh

jbm007

Epson 7900
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 07:34:41 pm »

Quote from: richardhagen
Yes, it does sound like you were prepared! Even if I tried, I couldn't get the additional volunteer to help with the heavy lifting, so I have to rely on a service. I've been exploring options for purchase/delivery of this printer. B&H offer a white glove service. This is what their web site says when purchasing this printer:

[blockquote]"B&H White Glove Delivery
B&H's White Glove Deluxe Delivery service is available across the country. Avoid the hassle and inconvenience of struggling to set up your large plasma and LCD entertainment center. No more heavy lifting; let the experts handle it.

This premium service provides trained delivery professionals who will bring your purchase into your home, unpack it . . . ."[/blockquote]

This might be a good solution to my delivery problem.

rh

Just make sure thats a white glove service , not a rubber glove delivery.

Given the cost of the printer and what is involved, it may be a good idea.

Jim

jbm007

Epson 7900
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 07:36:22 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
You'll have to take that up with Lexjet or roll your own.

Email has already been sent.

Anybody have any poster board product  recommendations. Matte, or semi gloss finish?

datro

Epson 7900
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 06:11:12 pm »

Just make sure thats a white glove service , not a rubber glove delivery.

Given the cost of the printer and what is involved, it may be a good idea.

Jim

Took delivery of my 7900 today.  For anyone wondering about the packaging and how to move the printer:  You MUST leave the skid in place until you are ready to remove the box.  The reason is that the Styrofoam supporting the printer sits directly on the skid.  We used a large hand cart made for moving appliances (the type with a strap that goes around the item being moved) to move the box/skid combination and this worked really well.  And be prepared to get 3 or 4 of your friends to help lift the printer onto the stand after you put it together.  This thing is a tank!

Dave

jbm007

Epson 7900
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56:20 am »

Quote from: datro
Took delivery of my 7900 today.  For anyone wondering about the packaging and how to move the printer:  You MUST leave the skid in place until you are ready to remove the box.  The reason is that the Styrofoam supporting the printer sits directly on the skid.  We used a large hand cart made for moving appliances (the type with a strap that goes around the item being moved) to move the box/skid combination and this worked really well.  And be prepared to get 3 or 4 of your friends to help lift the printer onto the stand after you put it together.  This thing is a tank!

Dave

Great

For anyone needing a printer profile for Lexjet Sunset eSATIN 300g paper. I have it for the Epson 7900. Email me and I will forward on to you.

Jim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Epson 7900
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:28:50 pm »

Quote from: datro
This thing is a tank!

Got mine about a week ago .. I agree.  Solid.

Fast too

Pages: [1]   Go Up