Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imaging a hard drive  (Read 2539 times)

mbalensiefer

Imaging a hard drive
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:16 pm »

Hi!

I just finished completely restoring Vista on the PC; plus all updates and installs. With the issues I had to go through this time around I think I'd rather not have to again.
 Is anyone here familiar with "imaging" a hard drive? I would like to make an immediate backup, on hard drive, of what I have now on my 320-gig (only on a 500-gig hard drive), but I have never performed an image before.
 Will this effectively take care of the start/boot sectors as well? Which software is easiest/most recommended?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you,
Michael

dmerger

Imaging a hard drive
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:11:04 pm »

MirrorFolder is easy to use and inexpensive.  It will do every type of mirror or back up that you could ask for.  You can download a free trial version.

http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/index.php
Dean Erger

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Imaging a hard drive
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:29:19 pm »

If you are running Vista Business, or Home Premium - you can image any drive on your computer:

Another *great* imaging utility is g4u - http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ .  It support backing up / restoring  disks / partitions to another disk/partition ot even a network ftp share.  It is slow but works great - totally OS agnostic
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:36:18 pm by Joh.Murray »

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Imaging a hard drive
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:43:52 pm »

In my PC days I used an application called Norton Ghost, it took care of all the boot sectors/serial numbers etc. A 100% image of your old system.

-Nik

Quote from: mbalensiefer
Hi!

I just finished completely restoring Vista on the PC; plus all updates and installs. With the issues I had to go through this time around I think I'd rather not have to again.
 Is anyone here familiar with "imaging" a hard drive? I would like to make an immediate backup, on hard drive, of what I have now on my 320-gig (only on a 500-gig hard drive), but I have never performed an image before.
 Will this effectively take care of the start/boot sectors as well? Which software is easiest/most recommended?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you,
Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up