Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone got a Hasselblad 50-110mm lens and thus opinions of it  (Read 7836 times)

sperera

Anyone got a Hasselblad 50-110mm lens and thus opinions of it
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:07:19 am »

Hi there, could anyone give me real-life - not MTF curves science - opinions on the Hasselblad 50-110mm lens preferrably used with H3D-31...thanks for your help.
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:27 am »

There are several threads about it.

I have one. I use it on a CF39(MS) and have used it with a 384. I find it an excellent lens. Heavy, really heavy which means it is not comfortable using handheld for longer periods of time.

Compared to primes in the same range it delivers almost the same quality, the difference is hardly visible. Basically only when you start testing for it specifically. It is slightly less than the 50prime (really slightly), it is better than the 80 (noticeably), it is less than the 100 (noticeably).

It is my favorite lens when working from a tripod. Together with the extention rings you have a really versatile close-up lens. I also use it upside down often (camera facing the floor), sofar my front element has not fallen out
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:19:06 am by Dustbak »

michael

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:27 am »

This is a superb lens. Everyone I know who has one swears by it. I find it as good as primes in its range.

But, it is bulky and heavy.

Some people (myself included) have also had mechanical problems with it (front element falling off). Since Hasselblad has been totally mum on the issues its hard to know if this was a single batch problem or not. I know of at least 20 people who have had this problem.

But I would still recommend the lens highly for its optical quality and versatility.

Michael

gss

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:48:32 am »

It is a bit heavy, but it has a nice balance for me, so I don't mind the weight.  As the others have said, it holds its own optically.  The only real disadvantage with it (in my eyes) is that it will not play as well with the HTS 1.5 ( http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx ) as the 50, 80 and 100.  I am not even sure if it could successfully be used with the tilt-and-shift beast.

Edit: Checked the fact sheet on HTS 1.5; the zoom will not work with it at all.  It is still a great lens.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:08:34 am by gss »

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58:03 am »

I have this lens...actually it was the first lens I bought along with the 80 for my Phase P45+ back on the H2.  It is an excellent lens however I found that it was too heavy and bulky for me to get consistently good shots without a tripod.  Because I had a two week trip over various parts of alaska last summer where using a tripod was not an option and because I have an Artarctica (national geographic) expedition in january I decided to take primes that I can successfully hand hold.  in place of the zoom I'm taking the 50 (excellent and slightly better than the zoom), the 80, at least comparable to the zoom) and the 100 which is absolutely incredibly sharp and contrasty.  eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:16:50 am »

Quote from: eleanorbrown
I have this lens...actually it was the first lens I bought along with the 80 for my Phase P45+ back on the H2.  It is an excellent lens however I found that it was too heavy and bulky for me to get consistently good shots without a tripod.

Weight stopped my purchase..

Im a hand holder

I can see it being ok on a pod though

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:32 am »

Quote from: sperera
Hi there, could anyone give me real-life - not MTF curves science - opinions on the Hasselblad 50-110mm lens preferrably used with H3D-31...thanks for your help.
A very good lens, I use it almost to replace my 50mm and 80mm, but it is really too heavy, and too big. I use it often in outdoor fashion work and often to mount a bron-color ring flash on the camera, together with the lens, camera, ring flash it is very tiring to shoot for a long day.  But, the quality is very good and something still more convenient than often to change the lens.  In the studio use, the slight problem will be the f stops varies when you zooms the lens and thus effect the lighting set up.

Regards, K

hubell

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 02:37:16 pm »

Quote from: gss
It is a bit heavy, but it has a nice balance for me, so I don't mind the weight.  As the others have said, it holds its own optically.  The only real disadvantage with it (in my eyes) is that it will not play as well with the HTS 1.5 ( http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx ) as the 50, 80 and 100.  I am not even sure if it could successfully be used with the tilt-and-shift beast.

Edit: Checked the fact sheet on HTS 1.5; the zoom will not work with it at all.  It is still a great lens.

Very good point about the HTS 1.5 and the zoom. I have used the zoom for the past two years and its performance is exemplary(no mechanical problems), but it is not something I would want to handhold. I use it on a tripod. Exclusively.  There are no doubt some photographers who do use it handheld, but I don't shoot anything handheld. I was quite happy to buy one zoom lens to replace the three prime lenses I would otherwise have purchased(i.e., the 50, 80 and 100 or 120). The HTS 1.5 blows up that strategy. I will now need to buy at least two primes to use with the HTS 1.5, probably the 50 and the 100. Thanks, Hasselblad. Smart strategy for selling more lenses. LOL. (A small amount of that pain is mitigated by the fact that I just received from Hasselblad a 25% off coupon on a new lens  if I buy by Dec. 31.)

kevinwilson

• http://www.kevinwilson.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 02:48:54 pm »

Quote from: sperera

Same as everyone else here. I find it an excellent lens, really needs to be on a tripod. I use it for wedding and portrait work where it produces top quality.
Kevin

Nick-T

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 03:32:18 pm »

The issue with the front elements has been resolved in newer iterations. if buying new I'd be very tempted to look at the HCD 35-90 F4 as an alternative. It's about 400 grams lighter and the AF is very fast. Last I heard the cost was pretty high tho'

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 04:57:15 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
The issue with the front elements has been resolved in newer iterations. if buying new I'd be very tempted to look at the HCD 35-90 F4 as an alternative. It's about 400 grams lighter and the AF is very fast. Last I heard the cost was pretty high tho'

Nick-T

I think the pricing is just under $7k...ouch.

Then again if you dont need anything longer or wider (like maybe on the hd3 31?)    1 lens could do it all...

pixjohn

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 05:56:37 pm »

Thats a lot of $$$ for a lens that will not cover the new sensor sizes.

Quote from: klane
I think the pricing is just under $7k...ouch.

Then again if you dont need anything longer or wider (like maybe on the hd3 31?)    1 lens could do it all...

Was this offer an email or mail offer? I am looking to get the 50-110 and would buy new with the 25% off deal.

Quote from: hcubell
I just received from Hasselblad a 25% off coupon on a new lens  if I buy by Dec. 31.)

hubell

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 07:13:07 pm »

Quote from: pixjohn
Was this offer an email or mail offer? I am looking to get the 50-110 and would buy new with the 25% off deal.

E-mail yesterday. I imagine that a secondary market in these vouchers could develop!
Try going to the Hasselblad site and click on "Care Plan" at the top of the Home Page. The offer appears to apply to all owners of H series cameras, not just H2Ds and H3Ds.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 07:34:03 pm »

Wow if you guys think this is too heavy to hand hold at 1650 grams,  I'd better stay away from the Rollei/Hy6/AFi zooms -  Their 60-140 weighs 2400g !
Rolleiflex USA

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 07:35:45 pm »

buy new if you can afford it.
i bought a used 50-110 with only a few hundred shots on its counter for 2200usd , and the shutter went very soon after. it cost me 1500 usd to repair.

its been fine since.

paul
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:37:34 pm by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

hubell

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Wow if you guys think this is too heavy to hand hold at 1650 grams,  I'd better stay away from the Rollei/Hy6/AFi zooms -  Their 60-140 weighs 2400g !

I saw that Rollei lens at Photo East last year. It was like a smallish torpedo. I could not believe that anyone would actually use it without a Sherpa. OTOH, I bet it comes with a nice, real leather case. LOL.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 02:19:18 am »

Quote from: pixjohn
Thats a lot of $$$ for a lens that will not cover the new sensor sizes.

Not so...

(Info copied from previous thread on this subject)

The Hasselblad HCD lens line (28mm, 35-90mm zoom) has been designed to deliver outstanding lens performance (high resolution, low lens errors) on a Medium Format sensor area, in a lens design that is relative compact and light. In the process of optimizing design for all the performance criteria Hasselblad has carefully chosen its design elements with the following logic.

We have chosen a target sensor format of 36 * 49mm for the optimization of the lens performance for the HCD lens line in order to achieve a compact design with fast focusing as well as high performance. Top performance is reached even with sensors larger than 36 * 49mm. The only restriction is that a marginal crop is introduced with the HCD28 and the HCD35-90 in 35 mm setting. On a full frame 60 Mpix camera, the crop will result in an effective pixel count of 55 Mpix and a focal length factor of about 1.1. This means that the HCD28 will be equal to a 31 mm lens and the HCD35-90 will be equal to a 38-90 mm.

We have chosen to allow a level of basic optical imperfections (color aberration, distortion and vignetting) within the capability for our DAC lens corrections to handle it afterwards. We can therefore make a better design compromise and concentrate on minimizing optical errors that cannot be corrected by DAC, for example edge to edge sharpness. The results will not be as good for film use, which we therefore have excluded.

Our estimate on benefits with regards to size, weight and price are as follows: Compared to using the original full 645 film format (41.5 * 56mm) we are able to deliver a lens design that is around 30% more compact, and 30-40% less expensive.

To support the achievements of Hasselblad’s HCD lens design please compare the HCD28mm with other Medium Format lenses of the same focal length. Check the image detail and lens performance at the edges. Add to the comparison that all HC/HCD lenses include internal AF motor (fast, accurate focus), central lens shutter (flash sync at shutter speeds up to 1/800), and manual focus override. The difference in price between the HCD28 and the main competitor’s product is currently a 40% advantage for the HCD28.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 02:24:52 am »

David,

What is with the obscene price level of the new 35-90? Was it that expensive to develop or do you expect so few to be sold? I am sure it is a terrific lens but it seems.... euh... overpriced somewhat?

Is it that much better than the 50-110 (aside from the focal length range which I assume is harder to achieve)?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 02:38:34 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
David,

What is with the obscene price level of the new 35-90? Was it that expensive to develop or do you expect so few to be sold? I am sure it is a terrific lens but it seems.... euh... overpriced somewhat?

Is it that much better than the 50-110 (aside from the focal length range which I assume is harder to achieve)?

It has a very large complex Aspherical front element which contributes towards this.  It is the only lens in the H range which needs individual tooling for this element so therefore the production costs are higher.

It is however an amazing lens... some compensation I hope.

Best,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

pixjohn

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 03:17:05 am »

Technically I am right,  the new lens does not cover full frame. On another note, will the 35 to 90 work on an H2?  

Just as a side note, how much of a difference in cost would it have been to cover a smaller range maybe 35 to 60. If someone already has the 50 - 110 why do they need to over lap the same range.

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Not so...

We have chosen a target sensor format of 36 * 49mm for the optimization of the lens performance for the HCD lens line in order to achieve a compact design with fast focusing as well as high performance. Top performance is reached even with sensors larger than 36 * 49mm. The only restriction is that a marginal crop is introduced with the HCD28 and the HCD35-90 in 35 mm setting. On a full frame 60 Mpix camera, the crop will result in an effective pixel count of 55 Mpix and a focal length factor of about 1.1. This means that the HCD28 will be equal to a 31 mm lens and the HCD35-90 will be equal to a 38-90 mm.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up