Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscape photography magazine  (Read 8665 times)

Chris13

Landscape photography magazine
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:11:25 am »

Hello all,
Do you know some good magazines dedicated to landscape photography?
I already know Outdoor Photographer and Outdoor Photography magazines but check for new ones.
Thank you

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:29:12 am »

While not a strictly landscape photography magazine, you simply can't miss Lenswork IMHO.  You won't find it on newsstands anymore, but you can purchase single issues directly from their website.  The content and quality will amaze you.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:59:28 pm »

Quote from: Chris13
Hello all,
Do you know some good magazines dedicated to landscape photography?
I already know Outdoor Photographer and Outdoor Photography magazines but check for new ones.
Thank you

I second the Lenswork recommendation. Most issues have at least one portfolio that might be called landscape work, including artists like Alan Ross, John Sexton etc. in recent years.

I really like View Camera magazine, which probably has a good landscape portfolio about every other issue. It typically includes some discussion of æsthetic/artistic questions as well as technique. Some of the color landscape work highlighted has been beautiful.

Henry Rasmussen's Black & White magazine is another decent source; the quality of the portfolios varies all over the map from beautiful to what were they thinking?, but some are very worthwhile.

Dave Hall

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:14:19 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
I second the Lenswork recommendation. Most issues have at least one portfolio that might be called landscape work, including artists like Alan Ross, John Sexton etc. in recent years.

I really like View Camera magazine, which probably has a good landscape portfolio about every other issue. It typically includes some discussion of æsthetic/artistic questions as well as technique. Some of the color landscape work highlighted has been beautiful.

Henry Rasmussen's Black & White magazine is another decent source; the quality of the portfolios varies all over the map from beautiful to what were they thinking?, but some are very worthwhile.

In the UK 'Outdoor Photography' is a good read.

Philip Weber

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 07:07:41 pm »

I like Nature Photographer a lot.

It's a quarterly publication, and most of the images are by their "Field Contributors" which is anyone with a premium subscription to the magazine.

Phil

mikev1

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:26:25 am »

Lenswork is an excellent magazine ( it is almost a slight to call it a lowly magazine).  Just curious does anyone know why you can't find it in the stores anymore?   I suppose I could look it up on their website and maybe I will.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 08:12:52 am »

Quote from: mikev1
Lenswork is an excellent magazine ( it is almost a slight to call it a lowly magazine).  Just curious does anyone know why you can't find it in the stores anymore?   I suppose I could look it up on their website and maybe I will.

Brooks Jensen announced a few issues back that Lenswork was no longer going to be available at bookstores or on newsstands, but only by subscription. He stated that this was due to the waste of resources involved in newsstand sales, where generally half or more of a printing run ends up unsold as landfill. I presume that bookstore economics had something to do with it too; your local Barnes & Noble pockets at least half the profit from any publication they sell, while subscription sales go right to the Lenswork bottom line.

So by all means go to the website and order Lenswork if you like it; I'm also quite fond of the Lenswork Extended CD; they often include audio interviews with photographers which can be fascinating. I really enjoy hearing a discussion of working methods and aesthetic ideas from a photographer whose work I admire.

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:39:54 am »

I'll second the nod to "Outdoor Photography" the UK mag, it has readable articles and some interesting pictures.
The sister mag "Black and White Photography" is often a good read too.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:15:38 pm »

Quote from: pw-pix
I'll second the nod to "Outdoor Photography" the UK mag, it has readable articles and some interesting pictures.
The sister mag "Black and White Photography" is often a good read too.

I completely forgot about "Black and White Photography", even though I read it all the time!  Along with Lenswork, these are required reading for me.

By the way, you can order single issues of Lenswork through the site.  Just look for the Virtual Newsstand link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up