Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Posting Photos for Crit  (Read 3661 times)

EdinburghGary

Posting Photos for Crit
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:14:26 am »

Hi Guys,

Is there a "Best Practise" for posting photos for crit here?  Have not been able to find rules on number of images, maximum size, etc.  I was planning to show maybe 10 or so images, mostly 100% JPEGS at 800px wide, or a few 1000px wide Pano's...

Not sure how you guys do it though.

Any help appreicated.

Gary.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:37:17 am by EdinburghGary »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Posting Photos for Crit
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:31:52 am »

Quote from: EdinburghGary
Hi Guys,

Is there a "Best Practise" for posting photos for crit here?  Have not been able to find rules on number of images, maximum size, etc.  I was planning to show maybe 10 or so images, mostly 100% JPEGS at 800px wide, or a few 1000px wide Pano's...

Not sure how you guys do it though.

Any help appreicated.

Gary.
No hard and fast rules that I'm aware of, but my sense is that you will get better feedback if you post one at a time. If you have a specific question (such as about cropping, composition, lighting, etc.) it will also improve the results you get.
So show us an image and see what happens!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

EdinburghGary

Posting Photos for Crit
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:37:19 am »

Quote from: EricM
No hard and fast rules that I'm aware of, but my sense is that you will get better feedback if you post one at a time. If you have a specific question (such as about cropping, composition, lighting, etc.) it will also improve the results you get.
So show us an image and see what happens!

Thanks for the reply Eric

I will post one of my favourites then.

Gary.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Posting Photos for Crit
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 01:30:40 am »

I think Eric's response is good.  Also keep in mind that not everyone has a high speed 'net connection, so really big files might be passed over by some people.  With the 'net there's no point in anything over 72dpi anyway.  And one image at a time, preferably in the 'User Critiques' section is a good idea.  Also keep in mind that everyone gets to have an opinion, but only you know what you were trying to express when you made the image.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Posting Photos for Crit
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 11:32:10 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I think Eric's response is good.  Also keep in mind that not everyone has a high speed 'net connection, so really big files might be passed over by some people.  With the 'net there's no point in anything over 72dpi anyway.  And one image at a time, preferably in the 'User Critiques' section is a good idea.  Also keep in mind that everyone gets to have an opinion, but only you know what you were trying to express when you made the image.

Mike.

The DPI setting of a photo is irrelevant for web posting (and for most other things too). Rather, the pixel dimensions are important. For best viewing, a photo needs to be displayed at 100% - one image pixel per monitor pixel. So, you should post images with pixel dimensions that are appropriate for the monitor resolutions that people tend to use. This varies, of course - I use 1920x1200 but most people use lower - and some higher. As a rule of thumb, you might make the long side of the images you want to post about 800 pixels (by resampling in your graphics program).

Cheers,

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up