Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arizona in December  (Read 4268 times)

bohngy

Arizona in December
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:33:44 pm »

Hi Peeps, I really like the picture of the Coronado National Forest, Arizona that can be seen on the home page today. I'm from the UK, and am heading to Arizona for a month from Dec 10 to Jan 10. I admit to knowing next to nothing about this area. And I'm hoping to chase the good light... and a few photos like Mr. Reichmann snapped for today's home page.

Any "must go here, mustn't go here" recommendations? Anything useful would be much appreciated. As I'm sure you can imagine, my itinerary is very flexible.

I'm sure I'll be going to Grand Canyon etc, but anything unusual would be great (maybe that's a bit unfair: to ask you to divulge your secret photo spots)

Thanks in advance,

vandevanterSH

Arizona in December
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 04:02:16 pm »

Quote from: bohngy
Hi Peeps, I really like the picture of the Coronado National Forest, Arizona that can be seen on the home page today. I'm from the UK, and am heading to Arizona for a month from Dec 10 to Jan 10. I admit to knowing next to nothing about this area. And I'm hoping to chase the good light... and a few photos like Mr. Reichmann snapped for today's home page.

Any "must go here, mustn't go here" recommendations? Anything useful would be much appreciated. As I'm sure you can imagine, my itinerary is very flexible.

I'm sure I'll be going to Grand Canyon etc, but anything unusual would be great (maybe that's a bit unfair: to ask you to divulge your secret photo spots)

Thanks in advance,

Are you free to travel for the whole month?  Is your #1 priority photography or sightseeing?  If you have never been to that part of the US, you might think about expanding your travel beyond Arizona. Do you enjoy driving..if so,  this is a good time for long drives in the West..gas prices are way down.  I am headed West in the AM.

Steve

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Arizona in December
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:24:17 pm »

First welcome to Arizona and second is this your first visit.  

Here’s some ideas (coming from a person living in the Tucson area)

•   Saguaro National Park (Tucson area great sunsets)

•   Organ Pipe National Monument (Southwest area of AZ)

•   Ft Huachucca and/or Bisbee area (Southeast area of AZ)

•   Chiricahua National Monument (Southeast area and great chance of sunrise images)

•   Coronado National Forest (Tucson area)

•   Prescott (the entire area)

•   South Rim Grand Canyon – you’ll be able to drive to a lot of the places that are normally closed to private vehicles.  Start at Hermit’s Rest and drive east to the Desert View (Watch Tower) near the east entrance.  December is the great as there’s a lot less people there.  (We’ll be there 12/14 to 12/17).

•   North Rim while really great will in all likelihood be closed due to snow. If you decide to go you can try to go out to Toroweap for great images but be careful of the 60 mile dirt road (you’ll need a high clearance vehicle).  The road going out to Toroweap is great for sunset images and you don’t need to drive that far.

•   If you’re this far north you might also want to visit the Petrified Forest (I-40 Eastern AZ).

•   You’ll also want to consider Canyon de Chelly Nat’l Monument (far north eastern area of AZ.)

•   If you love watching western movies you owe it to yourself to take the time and go to Monument Valley (sits in the Navajo Nation and splits the border between Arizona and Utah).  This is a great area for both sunrise and sestet shots; you just can’t see this area and not think of 2 of the greatest John’s – John Ford and John Wayne)

There’s a hell of a lot more to visit and see but hopefully the above will help you out.  Good luck and have fun.  Remember, while Arizona isn’t really a huge state however we do offer a vast weather system; the weather might be warm in the Tucson area and at the same time be snowing in the South Rim area.

Cheers

don

bohngy

Arizona in December
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:04:01 am »

Hi don,

thank you so much for such a generous post. Sorry it's taken me so long to acknowledge it. My friend and I are in San Francisco at the moment but flying to Vegas today, and will be staying for 4 days before hiring a car and heading south.

Your suggestions are all excellent, there's a good chance we will find ourselves near the South Rim around 12/14, maybe we could buy you a beer or two, as thanks for divulging all your secrets?

I've gained much inspiration from your Iron Creek website, whilst planning this trip - it would be great to put a face to the URL  

thanks once again,

Ben

ooh and thanks to steve too - I think we might head over to white sands, NM.... that's a bit further isn't it!

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Arizona in December
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:08:13 pm »

Ben

You’re very welcome!  If you happened to see a 6-9 guy using a Cambo RS then please stop by and say hello.

There’s some good places near Las Vegas – never been there but you might want to look at a state park to the Northeast called Valley of Fire.  Also depending on how long a drive you’re willing to do you might also check out Death Valley as you’ll only be a couple hours away.

Thank you very much for the kind words about our website.

Good hunting

don

camilla

Arizona in December
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:48:14 pm »

hi
I dont know what plans you have already made but one option would be to go north from Vegas to St George and from there to Springdale and visit Zion National Park. _ From there to Bryce (cold up there...make sure you have appropriate clothing..) you can stay at Ruby's Inn--

from there via Kanab to Page, Arizona on Lake Powell----where you can do so many day trips! I stay at the Days Inn across from Walmart. Great people and reasonably priced- a cpuple of miles from the hotel you can park and you can walk a little ways to Horseshoe Bend (awesome), then you have Antelope Upper and Lower as well. You may stop in Kanab on your way to Page to see if you can get the permits for The Wave...from the BLM Office-- on 89 you have a great little stop to shoot the Toadstools.

You can hire a guide in Page( I use Overland Tours, Jackson Bridges) and have him take you to Alstrom Point. An amazing amazing spot and so is the lay of the land getting there. All of Lake Powell is gorgeous. There are infinite possibilities near there, infinite...take 89A to the Vermilion Cliffs area, Navajo Bridge etc,

From Page take 98 to Kayenta and Monument Valley. You can stay in Kayenta or in Bluff which has cheaper hotels than the ones in Monument Valley itself. A new hotel has been built by the Navajo Nation on the rim of Monument Valley and besides that one you have the only other option there, Goulding's Lodge which is expensive even in low season.

Great great photographic possibilities in that location and surrounding area. If you want a guide I have been using Daniel's Tours for over 25 years.. (435)7273227

Visit the surrounding area, Muley Point, Goosenecks, Valley of the Gods. Unforgettable places and rock formations. You will pass Comb Ridge on your way to Bluff. In Bluff I usually stay at the Desert Rose Inn and Cabins. Look them up online.
If you have time you can take a trip to Durango and the San Juan Mountains in Colorado. Great ruins at Hovenweep-----
Watch your schedule for meals in the Monument Valley area----as all the available restaurants...2 or 3...close very early...

If not towards Durango and Silverton, you can go south to Canyon de Chelly. You need to hire a guide to take you in. That's done at the Visitor's Center in Chinle. You can stay at the Thunderbird Lodge or the Holiday Inn...
From there take any road south to 40 West and stop at the Petrified Forest National Park. Awesome rock formations...

If you don't go to Petrified then you go to Kayenta from Monument Valley, from there to Tuba City, from there to Cameron and to the Desert View entrance to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Do whatever you want to in the area. You may be lucky to find accomodations inside the park! When you are done then you go back out and take 89A to Sedona.

To Sedona, Arizona. The most gorgeous of places, a little touristy but not at this time of the year and great shots if there is some snow on the famous Red Rocks. Don't forget to go down to Red Rock State Park to see Cathedral Rock at sunset..
you won't want to leave....

From there you can continue on to Phoenix, Tucson and whatever else you want to do. This itinerary pretty much rakes up all of your available time but..you will never forget it!
This is a short commentary. If you want more info email me or call me anytime on my cell 516 526 9373 and leave me your number.
Take care

Pages: [1]   Go Up