Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any eperience with the G-Drive Q external hard drive?  (Read 3961 times)

Mark F

Any eperience with the G-Drive Q external hard drive?
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:40:22 pm »

I need to buy a 1 TB external HD for my iMac 24" and was planning to buy the Seagate FreeAgent when I discovered that it does not work properly with the iMac, or at least the more recent models.  It seems that the drive has its own built-in sleep mode that does not play nicely with the iMac's sleep mode, and the Seagate support staff has stated that this cannot be corrected. So in looking for another I researched Western Digital, Maxtor, La Cie, and Iomega and all have numerous complaints posted on the various web sites. But I've seen a couple of good comments about the G-Drive from a company I am not familiar with, G-Technology.

Does anyone have experience with the G-Drive and especially with their 1 TB Q model?

Thanks.

Mark
Mark

Catalyst7

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:14:21 am »

Quote from: Mark F
. But I've seen a couple of good comments about the G-Drive from a company I am not familiar with, G-Technology.

Does anyone have experience with the G-Drive and especially with their 1 TB Q model?

Yes, I received the 1TB model for Christmas (my wife reads my Amazon wish list...) and have it working with my MacBook Pro on the Firewire800 interface.  I know what you mean about the sleep mode problems.  I previously had purchased a Buffalo quad interface external 1TB drive (identical specs. to the G-Drive), but whenever it went to sleep, the Mac could not wake it.  The easiest way to fix it was to toggle the power switch - resulting in the "Unexpected Removal" warning - which was not a solution.

I now have Time Machine working fine with the G-Drive, and daisy chained the Buffalo unit on the Firewire800 interface (G-Drive contains two F800 connectors that allows a passthrough).  The only slight negative is that the drive generates more noise than the Buffalo, but it's really not much.  I located it under my desk on a hidden shelf, so that makes it almost silent.

Go for it!

Mark F

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:36:06 pm »

Unfortunately I had read a couple of postings from people who had problems with their Q model and could not get an answer from their support staff. So I wound up buying a 1 TB drive from an outfit called Other World Computing and am very happy with it. No problems, works fine with Time Machine, silent most of the time and when the motor is on it is still fairly quiet. Strange name for a company but it seems like a quality product and sales staff was very nice on the phone.

I'm glad it has worked out for you and I hope both drives last a long time.

Quote from: Catalyst7
Yes, I received the 1TB model for Christmas (my wife reads my Amazon wish list...) and have it working with my MacBook Pro on the Firewire800 interface.  I know what you mean about the sleep mode problems.  I previously had purchased a Buffalo quad interface external 1TB drive (identical specs. to the G-Drive), but whenever it went to sleep, the Mac could not wake it.  The easiest way to fix it was to toggle the power switch - resulting in the "Unexpected Removal" warning - which was not a solution.

I now have Time Machine working fine with the G-Drive, and daisy chained the Buffalo unit on the Firewire800 interface (G-Drive contains two F800 connectors that allows a passthrough).  The only slight negative is that the drive generates more noise than the Buffalo, but it's really not much.  I located it under my desk on a hidden shelf, so that makes it almost silent.

Go for it!
Mark

tcphoto

• Tony Clark Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:19:33 am »

I have owned three G Technology drives for the last three years and love them. I've not had one problem and would buy more when needed. The only other brand that I would buy is Weidenbach which I understand is the next move up in quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up