Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D3X  (Read 4134 times)

ctz

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Nikon D3X
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:30 pm »

Yep, I was waiting for someone to open a thread about this camera here. I'm depressed since I have a P25, paid 14K and now every kid in the block will be able to have something of similar caliber for $2.5k to $3k ... Otherwise it is good news for the rest of the world...

This is probably "it" for "35mm", no? they will be hitting the ceiling in terms of diffraction and optic envelop.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:23:08 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

ctz

Nikon D3X
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:27:55 pm »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
now every kid in the block will be able to have something of similar caliber for $2.5k to $3k ... Otherwise it is good news for the rest of the world...

not exactly.
the srp is about 7.5k.

on the other hand, if you mainly shoot people or action shots it's better to have 5fps instead of 1fps...
not to mention 1600 vs 400asa.

revaaron

Nikon D3X
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

I have a D3 and have no need for this camera. People have said that it has a 1-stop noise advantage over the D3/D700, but I don't really need that at all. I shoot a lot of ISO 6400 on the D3 and it's perfect. I never shoot below ISO 1600 anymore with my D3.

revaaron

Nikon D3X
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:43:01 pm »

and the comment of "every kid" is what my gf said about the D700 since the D3 was her "secret weapon"

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Nikon D3X
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:47:07 pm »

... and wait to see the D800 ...
Quote from: revaaron
and the comment of "every kid" is what my gf said about the D700 since the D3 was her "secret weapon"
[font=Comic Sa

Ben Rubinstein

Nikon D3X
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:27:13 pm »

Question? Why would any of you MF shooters buy this camera over a 5D mkII and if you need the pro build, why haven't you got a 1Ds mkIII already? If you survived without it till now do you still feel the need to spend that much?

Just interested as to who is going to suddenly decide they need 20+ megapixels in a DSLR and will be willing to pay that amount of money.

Carsten W

Nikon D3X
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:54 pm »

Quote from: pom
Question? Why would any of you MF shooters buy this camera over a 5D mkII and if you need the pro build, why haven't you got a 1Ds mkIII already? If you survived without it till now do you still feel the need to spend that much?

Just interested as to who is going to suddenly decide they need 20+ megapixels in a DSLR and will be willing to pay that amount of money.

... I suspect mostly existing Nikon owners, looking for a way to stretch their investment a bit. Not to detract from the camera, which is likely at least as good as the 1Ds3, and more "pro" than the A900, if no better in the IQ department (to be seen).
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

ctz

Nikon D3X
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 03:10:40 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
... I suspect mostly existing Nikon owners, looking for a way to stretch their investment a bit. Not to detract from the camera, which is likely at least as good as the 1Ds3, and more "pro" than the A900, if no better in the IQ department (to be seen).

it depends...
i'm a "nikonist" for 15 years, i use phase for the last 3 years, but if i have to choose a new dslr i guess indeed this 5d2 is very tempting...

revaaron

Nikon D3X
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 03:15:02 pm »

I've used the 5D a lot along with all my nikon gear.
I would choose a D700 over the 5DmII for color reasons.

pixjohn

Nikon D3X
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 03:18:39 pm »

I am going with a D700 because of the 3 - 4 month wait time to get a 5dII, and i also already own nikon glass. I was going to switch, but I don't have the time to wait for canon to deliver.

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
Nikon D3X
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 03:56:47 pm »

The D3x probably is an amazing tool, and Nikon finally arrived where they should be...but, I'm not going to buy the D3x this time.
I had a lot of Nikons, the latest being the D2x that is still doing the job, 95% of the Nikon jobs  (I still have a P25) are 100 Iso, sometimes i use Iso 800, and the Raws are still ok to me if used carefully. Never used Iso 1600 in the last few years, when I hang around in in clubs, at concerts (yes, it happens   ), my camera stays at home.
I will probably wait for a D800 with the same chip, I always loved these great Nikon flagship bodies F5, D1x,D2x, they are build to last, but I'm really thinking about getting the (let's call it semi-pro) D*00 series next time and have some money left to upgrade the digital back later. My photojournalist friends buy these flagship-pro bodies, a friend told me his 5d only survived 6 months in their world, I'm a gear-head, really, but I'm not sure if I'm going (back?) from a P25 to a Nikon...at this price.

Tom-

GregW

• http://
Nikon D3X
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 05:00:28 pm »

Quote from: pom

I would have thought the answer was very simple. Nikon shooters with a very similar profile to those with a 1Ds Mark III.

The is a real irony here is one of perception. If you look at the comments of working Nikon pros; as opposed to those who run websites/education services the response is very positive. After a long wait, a 20+ MP Nikon DSLR is now available. They didn't expect it to be cheaper than a 1Ds Mark III but they do expect it to have a better AF system and the Nikon color they love.

hauxon

Nikon D3X
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 04:53:18 am »

Quote from: GregW
They didn't expect it to be cheaper than a 1Ds Mark III but they do expect it to have a better AF system and the Nikon color they love.

Better AF than the 1Ds Mark III??  The 10 fps 1D III had problems but have never heard of AF problems with the 1Ds III.  Generally the AF system of the Canon 1-series cameras is highly regarded.  The Nikon D3X looks very nice though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up