Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crane Museo Silver Rag vs Harmon Glossy FB AI  (Read 3972 times)

PhillyPhotographer

Crane Museo Silver Rag vs Harmon Glossy FB AI
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:35:13 am »

Has anyone used both ? Which do you prefer ?

agavephoto

• http://drewmedlin.com
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:00:17 pm »

I have used both, but I have not used either extensively . . . yet. With my limited use, I prefer the Harman FB Al (both regular and warmtone versions) to the Museo papers. The FB Al Warmtone is closer to the colour of the Museo paper, with the FB AL being noticeably whiter when they are placed side by side. I like the surface texture more, and to my eye, at least, the blacks just look darker with the Harman paper.  I suspect much of my future printing will be using the Harman FB Al glossy papers. I hope this was useful.

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:04 pm »

A friend just gave me a couple of 8.5 x 11 sheets and I'm impressed. The anti curl is great and the prints are sharper than the Museo Silver Rag. I really don't see any difference in the DMAX between the two but since i make warm tone prints I can't accurately make a decision until I compare the Crane with the FB Warmtone.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:28:22 pm »

[quote name='PhillyPhotographer' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:35 AM' post='240805']
[c/quote]
c
I have used both. The Crane is okay but I still got some gloss differential. Much less with the Harman. In favor of the Crane: tough paper - no problems with scratching, denting or mounting, I believe it also has no OBA's.
Harman: higher D-max. Just prints gorgeously. Much more delicate and requires dry mounting to keep from developing "waves" once framed. A small amount of OBA's which I believe is acceptable.
The real decision maker for me was which one has the least gloss differential and best D-max.
But I'm waiting for the new Hahnemuhle Baryta to arrive to test, because several on this forum have been raving about it.

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »

Any particular reason the warm tone is so much more ?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:34:27 pm »

Silver rag suffered GD.  On the other hand it was a joy to print with.

The best prints I've ever made (a low benchmark) were on the Harman.  Was a living hell to print them.

I'd use the Harman for everything if my B9180 liked it better.

colinm

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:37:58 pm »

Quote from: PhillyPhotographer
Any particular reason the warm tone is so much more ?

Because in most sizes, the short-count warmtone is sold in packs of 25 instead of 15. Why Harman decided this I don't know, especially since matte is packaged identically in either color.
Colin

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 05:42:39 pm »

Quote from: colinm
Because in most sizes, the short-count warmtone is sold in packs of 25 instead of 15. Why Harman decided this I don't know, especially since matte is packaged identically in either color.

I didn't even notice the sheet count difference. LOL

colinm

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:50:28 pm »

It's easy to miss, especially if you've already looked at the other three flavors of Harman paper.

Who's going to think "Oh yes, warmtone gloss will break the trend and have 10 extra sheets!"?
Colin

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 06:36:21 pm »

Quote from: PhillyPhotographer

It depends on the printer you're using and the look you're going for. I've used both papers on my HP Z3100, and they produce completely different viewing experiences, neither of which really met my needs.

The Crane silver rag has a lovely hand feel, an extremely deep d-max with fine shadow detail, and no virtually gloss differential. On the other hand its paper base is a bit warm, so I can't print a black & white image with the kind of toning I prefer (slighly warm shadows and slightly cool highlights) without it looking weird. It basically compels you to print B&W prints warm toned. Of course, this might work great with your beautiful bridge photographs. Finally its surface texture is just a bit too obtrusively artificial or 'non-organic' if you know what I mean.

The Harman gloss FB AI has a very similar extremely deep d-max, and it does a better job of rendering very fine details, especially in the highlights. On the other hand, at least with HP's inkset, the gloss differential is a bit more evident. I also find the paper base just too intensely blue, and it has a boatload of OBA's to maintain that superbright blue/white. The paper's texture is extremely subtle, and is overwhelmed by its glossy reflectance so you don't even notice it; I find it just too shiny. Finally it feels a bit thinner and lighter than its 'grammage' would indicate, and the surface is absurdly fragile. Just brush it with the corner of another print or a fingernail and it's visibly marred.

I've been a lot happier printing on Hahnemüle's photo rag pearl, which simply works better for my photos. However, lots of folks rave about the Harman paper when using Epson printers. I think the only way to figure it out is to have a couple of your favorite images printed on each paper to see what works for you.

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:11:06 pm »

I got a sample pack of the warm tone so I could now make an accurate comparison. I showed the three prints to five other people and four of them preferred the overall look of the Museo Silver Rag and four out of the five noticed the increase of sharpness in the Harman after i said to take a closer look. A side note is the warm tone Harman didn't seem as sharp as the non warm tone. Also the warm tone paper isn't as warm as the Crane. Since I make warm tone prints I find the Crane to be a better choice as did everyone else for my photography but if I did neutral b&w the Harman would be my paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up