Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arizona Welcome...  (Read 5708 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Arizona Welcome...
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

Jeez Michael, the light in this is just amazing...love it...a fabulous luminous landscape...

M

michael

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:28 am »

Thanks,

I just made the linked larger version even bigger, since the image really only can be seen properly when the incredible detail as well as the preternatural light can be seen.

Michael

francois

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:42 am »

Quote from: michael
Thanks,

I just made the linked larger version even bigger, since the image really only can be seen properly when the incredible detail as well as the preternatural light can be seen.

Michael
Michael,
Thanks for the larger version. It makes this photo even more fantastic.
Francois

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:27:25 am »

I think you caught it just right. It's a stunning image.

AdrianL

• http://
Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:31:14 am »

Wow!  Just beautiful.  You captured the moment..
Adrian

Pete Ferling

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:26:04 am »

Exceptional shot!  I can only emagine the "oh wow" feeling you must of had standing before it.   (Being there, that's the real prize).

dkeyes

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:44:13 pm »

A great, dramatic shot Michael, the best I've seen by you on this site. Love the wide format as well.

Cheers,
Doug

michael

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:46:11 pm »

The story is that when my alarm went off, about 90 minutes before sunrise, I could hear heavy rain, and a peek out the window into the blackness showed a totally overcast sky.

But, I firmly believe in serendipity and so I got up and drove out into the wet darkness.

Within a half hour though the sky started to brighten and just after dawn the clouds lifted, and for the next hour or so I was shooting in some of the most beautiful light and atmospherics that I have ever seen, including in either Iceland or Antarctica. I have several more shots from that hour that will appear here over the next week or so.

It was just a remarkable morning. When I got back to the ranch my wife was just getting up and asking – how was the shooting? All I could do was give a shit-eating grin and start to show her the files on the laptop. What a morning.

Michael

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 02:35:02 pm »

The light that occurs as a frontal rain system passes, especially if times close to sunrise or sunset is by far the most magical I've ever experienced. The light is also exceptionally dynamic and the ability to respond quickly to the changes is very important - sometimes the image opportunity is really down to a few seconds.

This is a great capture -  the use of light, as many of MR images that appear here do, fully justifies this web sites name!  I'd be really interested to see how it turns out as a print. Perhaps I should plan a visit to the gallery sometime soon!!
image examples are at my website  [url=h

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:58:27 pm »

Very nice photo Michael.  My initial thought was 'baroque.'  I guess because of the tones in the shadows.  I'll bet it was quite exciting.

Dave Chew

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:04:08 pm »

Simply beautiful!

don

erictoddjohnson

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

What a beautiful image - the light is reminiscent of an oil painting, and the wide format works particularly well.   [Was it stitched from multiple images, or just cropped to that size?]  

I'm sure it must be stunning on paper!

Eric J.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:11:37 pm by erictoddjohnson »

michael

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 04:10:49 am »

It's a single frame crop, not a stitch.

I have a 40" print which I made yesterday that will be up in the gallery later in the week. It holds up beautifully to that size.

Michael

Jay Kaplan

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 02:01:17 pm »

It looks more like a painting from the late 19th century that you would find in a museum.

Jay

larsrc

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 02:23:56 pm »

Quote from: erictoddjohnson
What a beautiful image - the light is reminiscent of an oil painting, and the wide format works particularly well.   [Was it stitched from multiple images, or just cropped to that size?]  

I'm sure it must be stunning on paper!

Eric J.

I totally agree. This is the first of MR's pictures in quite a while where I've really gone *wow* at it. A lot of his recent work has not been much to my taste, but this is astounding. The mist/haze combined with limited tonal range makes this look so golden age.

-Lars

Mark_Tuttle

Arizona Welcome...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 07:29:10 pm »

Yes, it was an interesting Thanksgiving day here in Tucson.  You were here for one of the more 'photogenic' moments, as usually it is boring sunshine  
Nice catch!
Mark

Quote from: michael
The story is that when my alarm went off, about 90 minutes before sunrise, I could hear heavy rain, and a peek out the window into the blackness showed a totally overcast sky.

But, I firmly believe in serendipity and so I got up and drove out into the wet darkness.

Within a half hour though the sky started to brighten and just after dawn the clouds lifted, and for the next hour or so I was shooting in some of the most beautiful light and atmospherics that I have ever seen, including in either Iceland or Antarctica. I have several more shots from that hour that will appear here over the next week or so.

It was just a remarkable morning. When I got back to the ranch my wife was just getting up and asking – how was the shooting? All I could do was give a shit-eating grin and start to show her the files on the laptop. What a morning.

Michael
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net
Pages: [1]   Go Up