Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tobacco barn hanging  (Read 4961 times)

button

• http://
tobacco barn hanging
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:48:22 pm »

Hey everyone,

I really need some feedback on this one.  I'm going to print it at around 17" or so at 320 dpi on glossy paper for my father.  This barn is falling apart and holds sentimental value for him.  I have a much larger file from which I can re-crop if necessary.  This capture was made at around 6:30 am a few days ago using a Canon 40d, 10-22 lens at 10mm, and a Nodal Ninja 5.  9 "stations" total at multiple exposures.  Stitched using PTGui, blended/edited in PS4, final tweaks in CR.  The crop is 4x5.  Your opinions appreciated.

John

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
tobacco barn hanging
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:16:29 am »

John,

I like the photo. Nice work with stitching, something I have never done.  You might try cropping in from the left to remove the branches and "hanging chad."  They lose me a bit and I think the crop makes the vertical lines stronger.  Could be a good B&W candidate- I think you could bring out some nice texture.  Here's a quick example, cropped and split toned 40/7 (both highlights and shadows) in LR.  The tone curves would need some work.

Dave Chew
[attachment=10003:ibvoex_3.jpg]

button

tobacco barn hanging
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:33:41 am »

Quote from: dchew
John,

I like the photo. Nice work with stitching, something I have never done.  You might try cropping in from the left to remove the branches and "hanging chad."  They lose me a bit and I think the crop makes the vertical lines stronger.  Could be a good B&W candidate- I think you could bring out some nice texture.  Here's a quick example, cropped and split toned 40/7 (both highlights and shadows) in LR.  The tone curves would need some work.

Dave Chew

Thanks for the critique, David.  I agree, that stuff on the left needs to go.  I'll edit and repost soon.

John

button

tobacco barn hanging
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:27:35 am »

Recrop and edit:

What do you think?

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
tobacco barn hanging
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:33:15 pm »

Yeah, I like that crop better.  The color and shadows looked better in the first one, at least to me.  Seems like the contrast has increased.  With glossy media there may be too much contrast.  This is obviously personal preference.  

One comment about cropping:  I noticed you are sticking to 4x5 or 2x3.  I used to stick to the common ratios, 4x5/8x10, 2x3, 5x7, 11x14, etc.  Last year I took Michael up on his Printing One-on-One session and spent a day with him (highly recommended for anyone, by the way, he's a fascinating person and marvelous teacher).  He managed to liberate me from those constraints. Nature isn't cropped, and although one could argue certain ratios are more pleasing than others, I believe the subject should determine the ratio.  

Perhaps you are limited by a pre-cut matte board, but other than that, let random cropping begin!

This barn looks like one of many I saw in Eastern TN when I was there a few years ago.  Where is it?

Dave Chew

button

tobacco barn hanging
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:39:36 pm »

Yeah, I like that crop better.  The color and shadows looked better in the first one, at least to me.  Seems like the contrast has increased.  With glossy media there may be too much contrast.  This is obviously personal preference.  

One comment about cropping:  I noticed you are sticking to 4x5 or 2x3.  I used to stick to the common ratios, 4x5/8x10, 2x3, 5x7, 11x14, etc.  Last year I took Michael up on his Printing One-on-One session and spent a day with him (highly recommended for anyone, by the way, he's a fascinating person and marvelous teacher).  He managed to liberate me from those constraints. Nature isn't cropped, and although one could argue certain ratios are more pleasing than others, I believe the subject should determine the ratio.  

Perhaps you are limited by a pre-cut matte board, but other than that, let random cropping begin!

This barn looks like one of many I saw in Eastern TN when I was there a few years ago.  Where is it?

Dave Chew

Thanks again, David.  The barn is located on our family farm in Clarksville, TN (northwest central TN).  When I was recropping this image, I definitely limited myself to standard ratios, both for framing reasons and because it seemed like the "right" thing to do.  But, I have to agree with you, nature isn't cropped, and if one cares enough about a photo, its subject should dictate its frame.  I've been recently studying the classic rules of composition in order to improve my images, and they've made a difference- those rules have arisen for a reason.  

With respect to the increased contrast: I partially blended a B/W version in "linear light" mode, with some selective masking.  You're probably right- the contrast is a bit much (good thing I saved the original).  When I saw the tobacco leaves at that perspective, they looked pretty creepy.  I am trying to make the barn look like a halloween monster, with the leaves as teeth in a giant mouth.  Hopefully, I'll get that look when I'm done.

John

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
tobacco barn hanging
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:33:55 pm »

Nice.  I didn't realize you were going for a sinister look.  The added contrast makes more sense.

I'm heading to Cookeville for Christmas; my wife's family moved there.  Looks like you're in a great spot.  Here's a structure I found in NE Tenn.

Ciao,

Dave Chew
[attachment=10009:DChew_051227_0065.jpg]

button

tobacco barn hanging
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 07:50:26 pm »

Nice.  I didn't realize you were going for a sinister look.  The added contrast makes more sense.

I'm heading to Cookeville for Christmas; my wife's family moved there.  Looks like you're in a great spot.  Here's a structure I found in NE Tenn.

Ciao,

Dave Chew
[attachment=10009:DChew_051227_0065.jpg]

That's cool- it looks very similar to a farmhouse not far from this barn on our property.  I have an aunt in Cookville, and I actually quite like that town (even if it was voted one of the best places to retire    ).

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up