Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne/Mamiya III batteries for Antarctica  (Read 2773 times)

pindman

PhaseOne/Mamiya III batteries for Antarctica
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:02:55 pm »

I'll be bringing a PhaseOne/Mamiya III (with a P45+ back) to Antarctica on Michael's expedition.  I'm bringing 4 batteries for the back, but am clueless about the best strategy for the body.  I'm thinking that lithiums would make the most sense because they're light, but I have no idea as to how many to bring.  Could also bring several sets of NiMH which are heavier but I wouldn't need as many.

Anyone have experience with this body in COLD climates?

Thanks,

Paul

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:36:58 pm »

Quote from: pindman
I'll be bringing a PhaseOne/Mamiya III (with a P45+ back) to Antarctica on Michael's expedition.  I'm bringing 4 batteries for the back, but am clueless about the best strategy for the body.  I'm thinking that lithiums would make the most sense because they're light, but I have no idea as to how many to bring.  Could also bring several sets of NiMH which are heavier but I wouldn't need as many.

Thanks,

Paul

I've had good luck with lithium batteries in cold weather in many types of gear. I've also used NiMH successfully, charging each night. But having done a fair amount of winter camping/climbing I'd be inclined to get the batteries close to my body whenever possible (or near a pocket warming chem-pack). That said, I'd have one of these: Mamiya External Battery Pack as an option in my kit.

Hope you have a fantastic trip. I'd love to go on a photo expedition to Antarctica some day.

Edit to add the Mamiya link.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:39:36 pm by DFAllyn »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 02:52:36 pm »

Thanks,

Paul

Couple of thoughts...  First, the AFDIII body sucks AA batteries fast, even the 2400maH NiMh and even in normal temps -- they last maybe 1-1/2 times as long as a fully-charged P45+ battery in the back will.  Lithiums will not last much longer even in extreme cold.  And while lightweight, the Lithiums are bloody expensive.  Personally, I would probably have four sets of fast-charge NiMh total with one of the 15 minute chargers that works off mains or auto 12V sources, and two sets of Lithiums for emergency back-up. At any time, I'd have one set of NiMh in the camera and a spare set in the bag, plus one of the lithiums for an emergency; the rest back in my room charged/ready to go.  

I'd definitely consider the PE401, but make sure the cord wont interfere with your camera/plate/tripod setup. The cord plugs into the base of your AFD body in the port that has the "open-jaw Packman" icon by it.

Cheers and enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:03:51 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 05:58:34 pm »

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, I do a fair amount of winter photography here in Canada with my AFD and P45+. I use rechargeable Duracell NiMH 2650 mAH batteries and have no problem even on the coldest days. I do keep two sets next to my warm body and one in the camera.

Having said that, I have been to Antarctica twice, once in February (mid summer) and once in November (early summer) and it really is NOT very cold on the Peninsula. The lowest temp on my Feb trip was -3C. We even had a BBQ on deck, just wearing heavy sweaters! You are on an unfrozen ocean, which allowing for its salinity, is no colder than about -4C.

The Nov. trip was colder, but never much less than -8C or thereabouts. This poses no problems for most cameras. I have used the AFD in Ontario on much colder days - like -20C!

Good luck - it's a fantastic trip and you'll want to return.

Bill

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:25:40 pm »

Paul I will also be going to Antarctica on a national geographic expedition that leaves about 3 days before your LL trip and will also be photographing with my P45+ but on an H2.  I have photographed in very cold weather, sometimes in heavy snow---in colorado using the regular Phase one batteries that came with the back and i've never had a problem.  I carry an extra in my jacket but usually don't have to change batteries while shooting.  I use the NiMh camera battery on my H2, and have never had a problem with that one running down either in very cold weather.  Even so, I carry a back up battery set of lithium in my coat just in case.  My question to you is...are you taking a tripod?! Eleanor

Thanks,

Paul
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:28:38 pm »

I don't know whether it applies to modern batteries/digital cameras but remember the old winter trick if your battery won't crank your car turn your lights on, the current draw from the lights warms the battery and in a few minutes you have enough voltage to crank the engine. NiMH and lithium's are different than lead acid batteries but keeping your camera on might improve battery life.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

pindman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:56:27 am »

Quote from: eleanorbrown
Paul I will also be going to Antarctica on a national geographic expedition that leaves about 3 days before your LL trip and will also be photographing with my P45+ but on an H2.  I have photographed in very cold weather, sometimes in heavy snow---in colorado using the regular Phase one batteries that came with the back and i've never had a problem.  I carry an extra in my jacket but usually don't have to change batteries while shooting.  I use the NiMh camera battery on my H2, and have never had a problem with that one running down either in very cold weather.  Even so, I carry a back up battery set of lithium in my coat just in case.  My question to you is...are you taking a tripod?! Eleanor

Thanks, Eleanor (and all that have responded).  Yes, I'm bringing a tripod, but I'm not sure how much use it will get.  I'm finding the video LLVJ 17 of Michael's expedition VERY helpful in planning what to bring.  It's here http://store.luminous-landscape.com/zencar...products_id=173 if you don't have it.  

Paul

mjrichardson

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:55:02 am »

Hi

I wouldn't get carried away with to much cold temp stuff to be honest, you will be on the peninsular in summer, average temperatures will be around 0c and warmer, it's doubtful that it would get colder than -5 to -10 as an extreme. If it does turn crappy then you probably won't want to be out shooting anyway. Take your normal kit, a set of batteries in the camera and a spare set in a pocket close to you, swapping round when you need to. Just because it's the Antarctic doesn't mean it's going to be cold, you won't be going far enough south to hit the really cold stuff.
Enjoy your trip.
Mat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up