Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! - Bizarre Lightroom problem  (Read 4067 times)

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Help! - Bizarre Lightroom problem
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:31:15 am »

I must be loosing my mind.....

Eight previously edited and exported photos no longer display in the catalog I am working on. If I attempt to re-import them, I get the standard message that they are already in the catalog and that I should click "Show in Library" the make them appear. I do so. Nothing happens. I am loosing it....

Help!!?!

- N.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:58:42 am by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

francois

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:05:38 pm »

Quote from: ndevlin
I must be loosing my mind.....

Eight previously edited and exported photos no longer display in the catalog I am working on. If I attempt to re-import them, I get the standard message that they are already in the catalog and that I should click "Show in Library" the make them appear. I do so. Nothing happens. I am loosing it....

Help!!?!

- N.
Do you use any filter in the Library module?
Francois

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:09:49 pm »

Quote from: francois
Do you use any filter in the Library module?

All filters are off. (Checked that *many* times*)  
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

francois

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 05:10:18 am »

Quote from: ndevlin
All filters are off. (Checked that *many* times*)  
How about stacks or do you use the metadata browser?
I would try to test for library integrity and optimize it. If you still don't find your images, I would then select all the photos and export as catalog and see if you can find the missing photos in the newly created catalog.
Francois

sniper

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:58:44 am »

This is happening to a friend of mine as well.  Haven't figured out whats happening though.   Wayne

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:30:38 am »

Quote from: sniper
This is happening to a friend of mine as well.  Haven't figured out whats happening though.   Wayne
It might be database corruption issue. It would be interesant to see if Lightroom writes something to the console log.
Francois

richardr

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:53:08 am »

Are you using collapsed stacks? Most (all?) searches will not find images hidden in a collapsed stack. Only top of stack images will be found.

Richard

Tklimek

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:47:30 pm »

Francois.....

This "console" log that is mentioned; where is that located and how can you access it?  I'm guessing a transactional text file somewhere?  This could help to explain lots of problems when things aren't what they seem.  Can you explain how to access that?

Thanks!

Todd in Chicago

It might be database corruption issue. It would be interesant to see if Lightroom writes something to the console log.

francois

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 04:53:00 am »

Quote from: Tklimek
Francois.....

This "console" log that is mentioned; where is that located and how can you access it?  I'm guessing a transactional text file somewhere?  This could help to explain lots of problems when things aren't what they seem.  Can you explain how to access that?

Thanks!

Todd in Chicago
Todd,
Use the Console.app application. It's located in /Applications/Utilities. Once the application is running, you can browse through all the differents log files produced by the system or the applications.
When an error happens in an application, a message can be written to the log file (either system log or console log). It's not always the case. When you suspect that you have a problem, you can also leave the log window open and see the messages in almost real time.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:53:17 am by francois »
Francois

Tklimek

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:51:30 am »

Ahh....thanks Francois....I have a feeling that your suggestion is an OS level tool for MAC and not necessarily across the board.  Windows has something similar in an "Event Log"; but applications are not required to use it.

My guess is that there is probably a way to start LR with a "debug" switch or something like that that would write out a transactional log for use in troubleshooting etc.  Something like that could really help when someone is having some "weird" stuff happen within LR.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Todd,
Use the Console.app application. It's located in /Applications/Utilities. Once the application is running, you can browse through all the differents log files produced by the system or the applications.
When an error happens in an application, a message can be written to the log file (either system log or console log). It's not always the case. When you suspect that you have a problem, you can also leave the log window open and see the messages in almost real time.

francois

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:55:31 am »

Quote from: Tklimek
Ahh....thanks Francois....I have a feeling that your suggestion is an OS level tool for MAC and not necessarily across the board.  Windows has something similar in an "Event Log"; but applications are not required to use it.

My guess is that there is probably a way to start LR with a "debug" switch or something like that that would write out a transactional log for use in troubleshooting etc.  Something like that could really help when someone is having some "weird" stuff happen within LR.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago
Todd,
Sorry, I forgot to ask if you were using a Mac or a PC... You're correct, Console.app is for Macs only.
I'm not aware of a "switch" in Lightroom that you allow us to run in debug mode.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up