Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P25, 1Ds3, 5D2 Comparison  (Read 2851 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
P25, 1Ds3, 5D2 Comparison
« on: November 28, 2008, 04:52:28 pm »

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29821

At least on the web samples look pretty close to each other. To my eyes the P25 is best but for an amount closer to nothing.
What are your comments. What flaws do you see in this comparison
Thanks
Eduardo

samuel_js

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:21:35 pm »

Quote from: uaiomex
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29821

At least on the web samples look pretty close to each other. To my eyes the P25 is best but for an amount closer to nothing.
What are your comments. What flaws do you see in this comparison
Thanks
Eduardo

The first and only thing I'm going to say to this guy about this (always pointless) kind of test:
If you don't know how to focus with a Hasselblad, please don't use it for this kind of comparisons. You're just going to get a pile of BS over you.

So, good luck with your testing...

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:52:41 am »

Quote from: John Schweikert
I just picked up my 5DII today from our local pro shop. They only got 7 bodies in today. More next week.

Anyway, I haven't shot anything worthwhile yet. I have some personal art projects for the next few months and client work this coming week to try it out.

What I notice, and this is from looking at files in DPP, 5DII files at 100 ISO are nice, but my Leaf Aptus22 at 100 ISO almost looks cleaner. I never have liked DPP and haven't used it for years, but it was the quickest thing to look at some files.

What I can add is that my 2 year old version of Photo Mechanic (fastest culling/editing app for Canons hands-down) reads the files just fine, so no update needed there. Lightroom 2.2 should be out in the next few weeks at latest. Then I can run the Canons and Leaf through LR.

The 5DII will be a good camera, a good tool. It's not the end all be all. I mean people have been shooting with 1DsIII cameras for a year now so other than the video feature, there's not much new here (a few good user features, non image quality related). Do expect utter chaos in quantity of posts across the web from new 5DII owners. That will be the real 'noise' in all this.

I'll certainly try to do my own comparison to get a feel between Aptus22 and 5DII because the Canon is a hell of lot easier to use, quicker and same file size, just different framing.

Added: Pulling up the shadows on the 5DII is impressive, nicely clean in relative terms. I would equate it to opening shadows on my Aptus22 set at 25 to 50 ISO. I have a feeling in print these two cameras won't look any different in image quality with only frame proportions or depth of field subtleties to be all that's evident.

I just got my 5D, after having used my friend's 1DsMkIII last week.
One thing to note: LIVE VIEW ROCKS.
10x zoom in to check focus?
I can't count how many times my Leaf's resolution has been wasted on poor focusing through a crappy viewfinder. even a slight fraction off means a loss of resolution.

This 5D is going to be a perfect complement to my kit.

httivals

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:27:34 am »

You can read the 5Dii files in Lightroom 2.0 or greater now.  Use the DNG converter that just got put on the Adobe website to convert the files to DNG.  This also incorporates the Adobe (and Canon equivalent) profiles into the DNG.  Lightroom then reads them perfectly.  I know because I'm doing this with my Canon G10 files until Lightroom 2.2 comes out.

Quote from: John Schweikert
What I can add is that my 2 year old version of Photo Mechanic (fastest culling/editing app for Canons hands-down) reads the files just fine, so no update needed there. Lightroom 2.2 should be out in the next few weeks at latest. Then I can run the Canons and Leaf through LR.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 12:33:40 pm »

I have to believe that it must be it. It doesn't make sense that it could match the IQ of a sensor twice the size. I haven't seen one single sample from a 12mp aps sensor camera match the quality of a 5D. Not my testing though.
Eduardo

Quote from: samuel_js
The first and only thing I'm going to say to this guy about this (always pointless) kind of test:
If you don't know how to focus with a Hasselblad, please don't use it for this kind of comparisons. You're just going to get a pile of BS over you.

So, good luck with your testing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up