Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESP 7900 Feature  (Read 54541 times)

sfblue

• http://
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »

Aaargh.  Any advice?  I have a new 7900 and I have turned auto nozzle cleaning off.   Still, when I send a print job sometimes it runs a cleaning cycle before printing.  The problem is that it sometimes does this again after just a few prints-- even while not doing the mk/pk switch.  After running a dozen or so sheets through, the lk is already showing "ink low."    Should I be patient and let my printer "settle in" as others have suggested?   Or do I need to call Epson?  Or am I doing something wrong?   Thanks.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:39 pm »

Quote from: sfblue
Aaargh.  Any advice?  I have a new 7900 and I have turned auto nozzle cleaning off.   Still, when I send a print job sometimes it runs a cleaning cycle before printing.  The problem is that it sometimes does this again after just a few prints-- even while not doing the mk/pk switch.  After running a dozen or so sheets through, the lk is already showing "ink low."    Should I be patient and let my printer "settle in" as others have suggested?   Or do I need to call Epson?  Or am I doing something wrong?   Thanks.

That doesn't seem right. I suggest that you call Epson.

I just hope you don't live in the UK as it took Epson over two months to respond to my 7900 problems!

Good luck

Ryan
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Doombrain

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:31 am »

Quote from: sfblue

have you installed the latest firmware from the Epson site?

sfblue

• http://
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2009, 12:46:13 pm »

Quote from: Doombrain
have you installed the latest firmware from the Epson site?

I did install the latest firmware right away when I got it.   Thanks.   Yesterday it did three cleaning cycles including a long one that markedly affected the level of inks.   Today-- after only printing a few prints-- nothing thus far.   Hoping it "settles in."

alexsar

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2009, 01:36:20 pm »

I have been the (mostly) happy owner of a 7900 for the past two weeks
the print count shows exactly 100 prints
the technical manager for Epson here in Athens told me right from the start to have the auto cleaning off and to await an eventual firmware solution;
having followed his advice I print before starting a printing session(ie once a day) a nozzle check
So far I have had  four occasions where cleaning was indicated by the test pattern
I have used the cleaning by pairs option and after having cleaned the first pair (with minimal ink consumption) three out of the four times the test pattern printed out fine;
also ,regarding settling in three of the four times  occurred during the first week
finally Athens being very dry , humidity has ranged from the low thirties to mid forties in my studio
print quality is superb both on harman baryta glossy, hahnemulle photo rag baryta glossy as well as hahnemulle photorag matte (super b&W) and daguerre canvas
however if the edges are twisted the printer chews them up, it is not forgiving at all so i tend to manually bend them backwards on the Harman

hope this helps

Alexandros

alexsar

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »

By the way I have never had the printer initiate a head cleaning on its own even after having switched inks

Alexandros

framah

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2009, 02:46:04 pm »

My 9900 is due into the store on Monday. I'm glad I read thru his thread and will keep my eyes peeled for these problems.

Mu 9600 has been one trusty machine and I could have it turned off for a month, turn it on and send a file to it and get a good print.
I might leave it in the store for a month or so just in case.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:17 pm »

Thought I would add my recent experience. This is in no way meant to bash Epson. I'm more looking to see if anyone else experienced the same install issues.

Just spent 1/2 of Sat and all day Sunday installing our 7900. If anyone else has networked their printer I'd be interested in to hear how it went for you. It took several installs and to basically ignore the supplied instructions before I could get communication between printer and PC.

Once set up I printed a couple of test prints and then compared them with our previous printer (7600) On the 7600 I was printing with Bill Atkinsons profiles, on the 7900 I used the supplied Epson profiles. The results I found are so marginal that I'm must admit to having purchase remorse. The one area I am happy with though is there is no longer that "3D/bronzing" affect in the paper white areas.

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2009, 10:48:44 am »

Hi all,

I would like to share my experience. My 7900 was bitten by the same problem, it was clogging very often, in the end sometimes even in 12hours.

I read through this thread and it was very helpful to me. I turned off the auto nozzle check and contacted Epson. They use external company here in .cz to do the service, called Dileris. I was pleasantly surprised how professional service I got.

After few days when the necessary parts arrived, technician came to my place, replaced the cleaning system and did few adjustments. I didn't get single clog since then, about two weeks now. (knock, knock on the wood ;-)) He was very generous and sent me ink cartridges as compensation for ink I lost in cleanings.

I am a happy Epson user again.

Mulis Pictus
--
http://mulispictus.cz

pindman

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2009, 11:18:16 am »

Quote from: Mulis Pictus
Hi all,

I would like to share my experience. My 7900 was bitten by the same problem, it was clogging very often, in the end sometimes even in 12hours.

I read through this thread and it was very helpful to me. I turned off the auto nozzle check and contacted Epson. They use external company here in .cz to do the service, called Dileris. I was pleasantly surprised how professional service I got.

After few days when the necessary parts arrived, technician came to my place, replaced the cleaning system and did few adjustments. I didn't get single clog since then, about two weeks now. (knock, knock on the wood ;-)) He was very generous and sent me ink cartridges as compensation for ink I lost in cleanings.

I am a happy Epson user again.

Mulis Pictus
--
http://mulispictus.cz

I have had my 9900 for 1 1/2 months and it is fantastic!  I was concerned about the set-up.  Spectraflow is in my area, and Julian Mussi came and helped set it up.  Absolutely no problems with the ink, and the prints are the best I've seen!

The only problem I am having now is with indentations on Harman Fb Al paper.  See thread http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=33141.  But this paper and printer combo is such that I wouldn't think of changing either.

Good luck!

Paul

josh perkins

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2009, 06:36:44 pm »

Well dreadfully, I've been following this post since prior to purchasing the 9900.  My 9900 came in last week and I too am having the Auto Nozzle Check & Cleaning issues.  Got a support tech coming in next week to look at it.  Argh.  I guess for now with Auto Nozzle Check off, I can print fine.  Just can't believe how widespread this issue is.  Thankfully Epson is on the ball with helping me resolve the issue.

fjmcsu

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2009, 07:42:41 pm »

I know this subject has been discussed but would like to relay my exasperating ordeal so far. By way of introduction, I photograph, print & sell my work using various cameras & have also used the Epson series 7000(converted to Piezo neutral),7600 color & now the 7900. I have been doing this for about 8 years now. I also profile my own paper,ink, printer combinations using Egrosoft GPS & output with StudioPrint; ......SO I  jumped into this new printer with great enthusiasm.I received the printer ,initialized the ink, & as many have reported received all the bad omens;Cleaning cycles which failed, resultant ink levels too low to print- I was stuck without replacement cartridges not knowing they should be mandatory(as well as maintenance tank filters) when purchasing the printer! In fact I am STILL waiting for  replacement cartridges(had printer now ~1 week),as they are not readily available in this area. So I finally was able to replace cartridges enough to load a paper & update the firmware! HOORAY- progress, I think. As I opened the front door to look at the print head while the printer was idle, the clip on the right side that keeps the door shut broke off. Now I have to wedge an eraser between the body & the door to prevent a "door open" error.
Well,as others have said, & what I have read, the output is wonderful, I just wonder sometimes at what cost. Oh well, someday my cartridges will arrive & I can start to really get into this printer!

deanb2010

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2009, 01:12:33 am »

It has been interesting following the issues with the 7900.  I got mine about 2 months ago.  It replaced a 7600 that I wanted to burn at the stake for all the ink I wasted trying to get a clean nozzle check. I was going to go for the HP because of my issues with the 7600, but decided to stick with the Epson when I saw the print quality.  My experience with the 7900 has been quite good so far.  The initialization went well and I have made many (10+) large 24x36 as well as a lot of smaller 8x10/11x14 prints.  So far I have only had to replace 2 of the baby cartridges.  (I'm going for the 350ml replacements).  

My observations so far.  1) Print quality is amazing. 2)Because I don't trust automatic anything (like the nozzle check,) I turned it off early in the game - and have not been sorry.  Early on I was having significant clogs - actually I think they were "ink outs" or bubbles in the line because of the size of the missing patches.  I have kept every nozzle check I have run on this printer because I am parinoid about clogs and I wasn't going to put up with the issues I had with the 7600, the nozzle checks are my evidence.  My suggestion is that those who are getting large patches of missing ink in the nozzle check, is to be patient until the ink flow settles in.  I print about every 3rd day of so, I live in a dry climate <20% average humidity (18% right now), and so far this printer has been what I think it should be.  In the last month, I have only had 3 colors that were clogged in only one spot (position or whatever) each.  The head pair cleaning solved the issues (see next observation). 3) The head pair cleaning does not work as Epson implies (see the head pair cleaning thread) so don't be deceived.  I wish it did work like it should, and I hope Epson fixes it. 4) Don't panic when the printer says 10% used in an ink cartridge.  I've had multiple cartridges at 1% for a lot of prints. The ink volume counter does not seem to track well at all. My suspicion is that Epson wants you order ink early; if you get 1 million cartridges ordered early...look at the cash flow for them.  I'm just cynical enough to believe this is a marketing play by Epson. 5)I have only switched from Matte black to Photo Black once...I was disappointed in the ink used, but it was not way out of line like some have reported. 6) I have had so few cleanings that my "diaper" cartridge has gone from a low of 42% back up to 46% available.  I have no idea how Epson comes up with that one...I really doubt the firmware is accounting for evaporation.  I think it goes along with the bad reporting of ink usage.

I have been patient because, honestly, I don't want a support tech touching the printer unless I abolutely have too. From experience (with other products) a piece of equipment is likely to come out of the factory better set up than a lot of service people could reset or fix. No offense to the techs out there...but they typically don't have enough training or enough of the right tools to really do it right.  If you get a good one, do all you can to keep 'em.

There are some things that Epson needs to fix...hopefully they will, but so far so good.  (I do have a wood desk, and yes, I am knocking on it).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:21:53 am by deanb2010 »

arcman

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2009, 10:35:19 am »

Quote from: goldmember
That's great news Wayne.  

I've heard that the humidity where the printer lives has a huge impact on clogs - what's your climate like where you have the printer?

I'm skeptical of claims about low humidity having an affect on print head clogging.  The 'pump/cap' assembly looks like it's designed to seal off the head from outside dry air.  The pad is always soaked in ink (if you use the printer at all), which creates its own humid environment.  I'm in Wisconsin and I have two 9800's sitting side by side. The one closest to a heat duct has never had a clogged head.  The one further away has lately had mucho nozzle clogs.  The Windex trick has helped a bunch on that one.  The other one now has a new problem. (see new post)

fjmcsu

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2009, 10:46:32 am »

Quote from: deanb2010
It has been interesting following the issues with the 7900.  I got mine about 2 months ago.  It replaced a 7600 that I wanted to burn at the stake for all the ink I wasted trying to get a clean nozzle check. I was going to go for the HP because of my issues with the 7600, but decided to stick with the Epson when I saw the print quality.  My experience with the 7900 has been quite good so far.  The initialization went well and I have made many (10+) large 24x36 as well as a lot of smaller 8x10/11x14 prints.  So far I have only had to replace 2 of the baby cartridges.  (I'm going for the 350ml replacements).  

My observations so far. I print about every 3rd day of so, I live in a dry climate <20% average humidity (18% right now), and so far this printer has been what I think it should be.  In the last month, I have only had 3 colors that were clogged in only one spot (position or whatever) each.  The head pair cleaning solved the issues (see next observation). 3) The head pair cleaning does not work as Epson implies (see the head pair cleaning thread) so don't be deceived.  I wish it did work like it should, and I hope Epson fixes it. 4) Don't panic when the printer says 10% used in an ink cartridge.  I've had multiple cartridges at 1% for a lot of prints. The ink volume counter does not seem to track well at all. My suspicion is that Epson wants you order ink early; if you get 1 million cartridges ordered early...look at the cash flow for them.  I'm just cynical enough to believe this is a marketing play by Epson.
I have been patient because, honestly, I don't want a support tech touching the printer unless I abolutely have too. From experience (with other products) a piece of equipment is likely to come out of the factory better set up than a lot of service people could reset or fix. No offense to the techs out there...but they typically don't have enough training or enough of the right tools to really do it right.  If you get a good one, do all you can to keep 'em.

There are some things that Epson needs to fix...hopefully they will, but so far so good.  (I do have a wood desk, and yes, I am knocking on it).

Good to hear your experience has been positive & I am hoping for that too.I was a bit chagrined after having to replace 2 starter cartridges that when I did one nozzle cleaning(I finally turned off auto clean) that my 350 ml cartridge was already @ 95%! As per your experience,perhaps the measurements is not that accurate! Hopefully all well settle out in time. I just don't remember having very many issues with the 7600;clogs were present periodically but easily fixed. I too live in an arid climate(currently 16%). At first was using a humidifier but found  that it was really impossible to keep the humidity significantly higher with the machine I had & with hard our water , buying ionized or filtered water just became a   expense I didn't need.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2009, 06:08:47 am »

A thought for this old thread.

My new 7900 had an "automatic head cleaning failed" message today right after I installed a new light black cart and the printer ran an automatic cleaning cycle.  I printed out a nozzle check and I noticed two things.  First, just one black nozzle was not firing and second there appeared to be a small piece of ink-soaked lint on the surface of the nozzle check pattern.

I suspect that as this is a new printer, maybe a speck of loose lint or other material was impacting on the cleaning.  Second and possibly of more general relevance, I believe that a print head clean can cause temporarily blocked nozzles that will clear of their own accord if left for a little while, and that was what was happening here.  I found with my old 7600 that if I had a persistent blocked nozzle, just letting the printer sit for an hour or even less time often solved the problem - maybe it needs time for small bubbles caused by the cleaning cycle to dissipate?.  The same seems to be true with the 7900.  I left it for a short while and now the missing nozzle is firing with no further cleaning.  I have therefore turned off automotic print head cleaning.

Quentin
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:10:33 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2009, 12:24:46 am »

Quote from: Quentin
A thought for this old thread.

My new 7900 had an "automatic head cleaning failed" message today right after I installed a new light black cart and the printer ran an automatic cleaning cycle.  I printed out a nozzle check and I noticed two things.  First, just one black nozzle was not firing and second there appeared to be a small piece of ink-soaked lint on the surface of the nozzle check pattern.

I suspect that as this is a new printer, maybe a speck of loose lint or other material was impacting on the cleaning.  Second and possibly of more general relevance, I believe that a print head clean can cause temporarily blocked nozzles that will clear of their own accord if left for a little while, and that was what was happening here.  I found with my old 7600 that if I had a persistent blocked nozzle, just letting the printer sit for an hour or even less time often solved the problem - maybe it needs time for small bubbles caused by the cleaning cycle to dissipate?.  The same seems to be true with the 7900.  I left it for a short while and now the missing nozzle is firing with no further cleaning.  I have therefore turned off automotic print head cleaning.

Quentin

Several of us have noted that cleaning heads often result in more clogged nozzles.  Using lower level cleans seems to help with this.  I've never had to let the printer "sit" to clear a nozzle, just used a less aggressive clean in service mode.

Not sure what you mean by turning off Automatic print head cleaning.  You may want to review some of the threads, because you can't just turn this feature off.

The printer allows you to disable an auto nozzle check before it prints a print.  There are 3 options, check before every print, check before some prints, or never check.  However, turning this off does not disable nozzle checks/cleanings from other functions.

Every time the printer finishes a clean ( full clean or just a color pair), it will do an Auto Nozzle Check and if that fails, it will try to clear it.  If the ANC circuitry detects a problem it will clean again.  I'm not sure if it tries twice or three times, but if at some point if it continues to fail, it will inform you it failed and ask if  you want to try it again. Often the nozzles are fine, the circuitry is either defective or is just being too picky.  In addition, any time you do a black ink switch the printer will perform an auto nozzle check.  You cannot "disable" these nozzle checks.

However, you can use service mode cleans to bypass these checks and cleans.  If you start the printer in service mode, the cleaning menu gives you 4 levels of cleans (CL1 to CL4) and you can perform any one of these on the entire head or just color pairs.  In service mode the ANC function is not employed, so you can verify the nozzles by printing a nozzle check pattern (which you have to print from the host computer if you are in service mode).  CL1 appears to only use about 1 to 1.5 ml per nozzle to clean, and nearly all of the time this is enough to clear a color.  Also if you switch blacks while in service mode there is no nozzle check and automatic clean. (To get into service mode, hold down the center(menu) button, the down (paper advance) button, and the right (menu) button simultaneously while powering the printer on.)

Murph

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2009, 11:06:55 am »

Wayne best wishes for her speedy and complete recovery.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up