Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ESP 7900 Feature  (Read 54549 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 06:34:58 am »

My 7900 had the same issue with random cleaning cycles. I called Epson service on Tuesday of this week . They sent me 2 boxes of parts wed. and the tech. came yesterday to service the unit. He changed the wiper assembly as well as several other parts. Updated the firmware then gave it a pretty good test. He disabled the auto nozzle check (At my request) and just told me to monitor it. My lk black cart that came with the unit was the first to go empty. I replaced it with the 700ml unit and it is down 10% all ready. (after 15 prints) That is cause for concern as I figured a set of 700 ml carts will last over a year for all I print. For those covering your printers . The tech told me any time I put any type of cover on a printer to turn it off. We will see how things wash out as I am looking to add the 9900 this summer .

Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery

mrkahn

• http://www.malcolmkahn.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 11:23:01 pm »

I had the identical experience...the tech was here in the afternoon and replaced my cleaning mechanism and electronics board.  My Lt Black is also being consumed at an alarming rate and LLB is not far behind.  Hopefully the new parts will help the clogging problem.

mrkahn

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 02:37:54 pm »

Not good news from the fouling front.  The tech was here on Friday and replaced the cleaning mechanism, including the cap.  I printed some pictures on Saturday...no problems.  Then did a pattern check on Sunday morning and 1 head was clogged on about 4 nozels.  I did a cleaning on that head (2 colors) and it cleared.  Frankly, this is worse than my 4800.  I intend to call them back on Monday.

Malcolm

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 11:35:25 pm »

Probably the last report on my status, unless things change.  My wife has been in the hospital since the 14th, so my printer has seen very little use.  Last tuesday I was at my office long enough to fire it up, print a nozzle check (no clogs), and print a test page (no cleaning required).  Today I did the same thing, with the same results.  Despite being off for one week, the machine worked perfectly.  It now appears to be operating much like I expected, based on my 11880.

For me Epson was extremely responsive, very concerned, and provided far more replacement ink than I lost in the excessive cleanings.

Excited now to get the wife healthy so I can make some prints.

mrkahn

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 11:44:49 pm »

Epson responded today and now suggests that the machine be turned off overnight.  I'm going to run this way and will report back.  I agree that Epson has been responsive.

Farmer

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:32 pm »

Sorry to hear your wife is in hospital, Wayne - I wish her a speedy recovery!
Phil Brown

mrkahn

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 07:20:21 am »

Well, I tried turning the machine off for a few days and after turning it on...yes, it actually didn't have any cloggs.  That's the good news.  I then printed maybe 5 prints and turned if off.  The next day on startup one of the heads was clogged yet again.  Needless to say, the concept of turning it off at night isn't the answer.  Note that this experience is after having the cleaning mechanism replaced 2 weeks ago.  Back to Epson Service today.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 11:05:20 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
Sorry to hear your wife is in hospital, Wayne - I wish her a speedy recovery!

thanks.  After 16 days in the hospital, she's finally home.  Once they got her through the initial problem she had a surgery which went well. It will change things a little in managing her condition, bringing some new challenges but overall I think it will improve our ability to travel a little and enjoy some places we would like to see.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:06:09 pm by Wayne Fox »

Farmer

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 01:41:22 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
thanks.  After 16 days in the hospital, she's finally home.  Once they got her through the initial problem she had a surgery which went well. It will change things a little in managing her condition, bringing some new challenges but overall I think it will improve our ability to travel a little and enjoy some places we would like to see.

That's good news - glad to hear that things went well!
Phil Brown

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2009, 09:12:59 am »

I've been reading this and related threads with much interest. I thought I'd add my 2 cents in case it might help someone. I've had the 7900 for about 2.5 months and initially it was doing the automatic cleanings very frequently. It never reported that a cleaning failed. I turned off the automatic nozzle check and found that after sitting unused for more than a day or two there would indeed be 30%-50% of the nozzles clogged (or maybe just no ink present there for some reason) on just a couple of colors, frequently yellow, less often orange and LK. The other colors would all be normal and clog free. So the automatic ink detection (AID) seemed to be working properly but there was still a problem. This pattern continued for quite a while. At about the time I was going to get Epson to send someone out to look at it the issue it vanished. Even though the printer would often sit (turned off) for one to five days the nozzle checks were always good. Now I'm just back from a 2-week trip and the printer was totally unused for about 2.5 weeks, and a nozzle check still shows zero clogs. I'm happy.

I'm not sure what caused the initial problems. The prints created then looked fine so I doubt there was air in the lines or something of that nature. I'm just about to change the first (LK) ink cartridge, so all of this happened on the initial set of inks.
- Dean

datro

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 11:57:48 am »

My experience was similar with my 7900...for the first 4-5 weeks it would do the Auto Nozzle Check and initiate an Auto Clean (which always reported "Automatic Head Cleaning Failed") every time I powered up.  I would always immediately print a nozzle check after this and most of the time everything was clean.  

The last clog I had which required a manual "Normal Cleaning" was a month ago.  Since then I have had zero problems, even after letting it sit for as much as 6 days between printing sessions.  It seems like the printer has settled in after the first month and for whatever reason is not having to run the Auto Clean each time I power up.  In any case, I am now keeping a log for each printing session to track the printer's behavior over time.

Note:  Epson America just released the latest firmware update for the 7900 (HN01692) and they have removed the "power up" execution of the Auto Nozzle Check.  This does not change the control panel settings for Auto Nozzle Check; they are still "ON: PERIODICALLY", "ON: EVERY JOB", or "OFF".  See the firmware update release notes for some other minor changes.

Dave

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »

Dave
What position do you have your nozzle check set at? I had mine off but may set it to periodic with the new firmware.
Dan Berg

datro

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 02:53:07 pm »

Dan, my Auto Nozzle Check setting has been on the default "ON: PERIODICALLY" since I've had the printer.

Dave

Ralph Eisenberg

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 08:11:49 am »

now to get the wife healthy so I can make some prints.

I hope that the after-hospital recovery is going smoothly ... and that you are making prints!
Ralph

kuau

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 06:16:53 pm »

Wow, I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new 9900, I use to own a canon IPF8000 for over 2 years  which was problem free for me. I could leave the printer off for a week then comeback and do prints with no problem at all. I do love the paper feed on the 9900 and the fact that it can take 700ml carts now, but.... If you have to clean the heads all the time and deal with clogs now I am scared and thinking about going with an ipf8100 instead and also save over 1000.00 $.
I primarily print on canvas, do some water color paper and like canon's photo rag.  Am i crazy to be nervous about the 9900?

Steven

52days

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 06:55:46 pm »

After installing 4 new ink cartridges my 9900 went in to what seemed to be an endless cleaning cycle, oozing ink in to the maintenance tank. I was unable to turn off the printer or enter the menu.

I called epson support and was told to pull the plug. Judging from the sound of the printer, I thought it was the vacuum pump failing. A technician showed up a week later, and told me that it was not a printer failure, but a cartridge failure and that epson have had this problem lately.

Inside a cartridge is a plastic bag with the ink, inside another plastic bag that fills with air provided by the vacuum pump. If the  outside bag leaks air, the vacuum pump can't provide enough pressure. That's why my 9900 went in to a trance.

snickgrr

• http://
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 07:29:54 pm »

Mine seems to work as promised.  Shortly after getting it and only after a half dozen prints I started over a month long project where the printer wasn't used.  Upon firing it back up I did one cleaning and it hasn't clogged since. I turn it off at the end of each session and print a nozzle check print upon turning it on again. I did turn off the automatic nozzle check option.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 01:52:46 am »

Quote from: Ralph Eisenberg
I hope that the after-hospital recovery is going smoothly ... and that you are making prints!

Thanks.  Her recovery is slow but seeing improvements daily.

Happily back at the office a few hours a day now, and working on some prints.  The 7900 still seems to be operating flawlessly since the last service call, Auto nozzle detect set to check every print, printer turned off each night and back on each morning.  Only 1 cleaning of 1 set of colors since the last repair.  Seems to operating as reliable as my 11880 now.

Happy camper.  I really like this printer.  

Ernst Dinkla

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2009, 04:20:40 am »

Quote from: 52days
I called epson support and was told to pull the plug. Judging from the sound of the printer, I thought it was the vacuum pump failing. A technician showed up a week later, and told me that it was not a printer failure, but a cartridge failure and that epson have had this problem lately.

Inside a cartridge is a plastic bag with the ink, inside another plastic bag that fills with air provided by the vacuum pump. If the  outside bag leaks air, the vacuum pump can't provide enough pressure. That's why my 9900 went in to a trance.

That risk has always been there since Epson introduced the air pressure assisted ink loading on the 10000 model.
If someone mentions problems like you describe or a printer error related to the air pressure sensor I usuallly answers to check the cart membrane which is the weak point of the system.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions
            www.pigment-print.com

Ralph Eisenberg

ESP 7900 Feature
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:30 am »

Thanks.  Her recovery is slow but seeing improvements daily.

Good news is scarce these days...   And this is good news indeed, may it continue unabated.

Ralph
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up