Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better Posts  (Read 7643 times)

jeremyrh

Better Posts
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 01:13:35 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy
Hey, it's not fair to "out" an individual so rudely. You should join the effort to translate it before it wins a prize. Let's start with "our species" becoming "we", "pecuniary methodology" can be "payment", and "with in [sic] the boundaries of the currently emotionally acceptable solution space" just makes you appreciate the elegance of colour management....

John
'Xcept, for example, "payment" is not synonymous with "pecuniary methodology". Seems that the writer's principal sin is to write in a way that you find hard to understand.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Better Posts
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:27 pm »

Quote from: BFoto
Absurdly-inflated style? Define this for me, or better, define how you think Orwell was trying to express it. Because, i don't think the posters comments you refer to are that inflated at all. Rather, i see them as being a little more intellectual (from the adjective meaning "involving thought and reason"), sure. However, far from absurd.
Inflated language such as that quoted is not "intellectual": it just pretends to that appearance. True intellect is reflected in clarity of expression, not in obfuscation.

I'm as fond of flowery writing as the next man (fonder, in fact; too fond, as some have pointed out) but to call a spade a flat-bladed manually operated agricultural earth-moving tool is too much even for me. The purpose of language is to express concepts, not to get in the way of comprehension. Text which is purposelessly hard to understand is simply badly written.

Jeremy

Rob C

Better Posts
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 01:31:27 pm »

What the hell is it with you guys? We start something perfectly innocent and possibly even quite amusing, and in moments it turns into a fight! Relax, it´s all in fun, there´s nothing to get excited about because none of us is going to alter a damn thing that´s going on in the world of gallery hype. At best, we can smile a wry smile in the understanding that it is people other than the photographers who usually engage in the game of emperor´s clothes, those blessed others who know how to turn a snap into a work of art.

Unless, of course, the real name of the game is getting threads closed down.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Better Posts
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 03:14:52 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
What the hell is it with you guys? We start something perfectly innocent and possibly even quite amusing, and in moments it turns into a fight! Relax, it´s all in fun, there´s nothing to get excited about because none of us is going to alter a damn thing that´s going on in the world of gallery hype. At best, we can smile a wry smile in the understanding that it is people other than the photographers who usually engage in the game of emperor´s clothes, those blessed others who know how to turn a snap into a work of art.

Unless, of course, the real name of the game is getting threads closed down.
I don't see how continuing a discussion which is directly related to the article to which you referred us all when you started this thread can be said to be "fighting": it's part of a spirited discussion and (I very much hope) couldn't lead to the thread being closed. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to robust argument which remains good-humoured to recognise that some people don't see things that way.

Michael quite reasonably closes threads when they descend into ad hominem attacks or personal abuse, and we're some way off that (as yet).

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up