Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting in the businness of photography  (Read 2514 times)

r42ogn

Starting in the businness of photography
« on: August 25, 2004, 10:40:50 am »

[font color=\'#008080\']Hi, two books I found useful are "photos that Sell" by Lee Frost and "Photographs that sell and sell" by Roger Antrobus.  The former is more about Stock Photography whilst the later is more concerned with the basics.  Both are new enough to be pretty current although both are too old to cover digital well.  In the UK at least the big change over is happening this year  - 2 years ago few libraries etc would accept digital submissions, now more and more are insisting on it (so if you use film you have to scan it yourself).  You should be able to find the books in libraries.  Hope this helps.[/font]

nicroll

Starting in the businness of photography
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:15:05 pm »

[font color=\'#0000FF\']Hi all, my name is Nicolas, I live in the beautiful town of Quebec city.  I am a Ph.D. student in the paleolimnology.  As second source of income I have decided to set up my own company of photography.

I work occasionally for two agencies specialized in sports photography (team and individual photography of golf, football and baseball; sale of the photographs). I know that this work is not the funniest in the world but it give some money to buy professional equipment.  I am very interested by nature photography (Oh yes, another one !!!) and also photo journalism.  I read more than 100 times the book of John Shaw (business in nature photography) and now I need advice from professional such as you.  

Like a professional, would you accept a photographer during one week or two to help you in your business and to give him advise?  

Is it realistic for you to finance equipment over a period of 2-3 years (EOS 1DII or "3d", 70-200 f2.8LIS, and 500mm f4L) if this work would not be a full-time work. I currently have a EOS 3, EOS 500, 17-40 f4L, 300mm f4LIS, 35-105 f4.5-5.6, 550EX, macro 500D, Gitzo G1340 and Kirk BH3.

John Shaw wrote his book whereas digital was not so developed.  Do you know if magasines etc… always accept slides or if they prefer digital photographs of high quality?  

Do you know if those magsines etc… still accept to receive what John Shaw call the "dear photobuyer letter" to ask for their submission guidelines.

Do you know if a newspaper will accept to publish pictures from a no name guy if those pictures are interesting ?

If any of you can help me or give me advice I will appreciate

Thanks in advance
nicolas[/font]
Nicolas Rolland
Eos 20D, Eos 3, Eos 5
Pages: [1]   Go Up