Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gammas 1.8, 2.2  (Read 4151 times)

mbalensiefer

Gammas 1.8, 2.2
« on: November 26, 2008, 02:56:19 pm »

Hi!
 I have profiled my monitor on Windows to 1.8. I have also selected the 1.8 Gamma setting on my scanner.
 I have profiled my monitor on my Mac to 2.2. I have also selected the 2.2 Gamma setting on my scanner, when connected to this computer.

Question:
 When I scan the same picture within both OS's with these settings applied; will each resultant .jpg look the same on the opposite OS as that OS's original scan?

Michael

stamper

Gammas 1.8, 2.2
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:01:32 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
Hi!
 I have profiled my monitor on Windows to 1.8. I have also selected the 1.8 Gamma setting on my scanner.
 I have profiled my monitor on my Mac to 2.2. I have also selected the 2.2 Gamma setting on my scanner, when connected to this computer.

Question:
 When I scan the same picture within both OS's with these settings applied; will each resultant .jpg look the same on the opposite OS as that OS's original scan?

Michael

I thought that the 2.2 gamma applied to windows and the 1.8 gamma applied to MAC? Am I missing something?

mbalensiefer

Gammas 1.8, 2.2
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:51:05 am »

Maybe I should change my monitor's settings. Should it be set at 5700k or 6500k?

Thanks,
Michael

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Gammas 1.8, 2.2
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:58:37 am »

IF you don't have an LCD with high bit, internal LUTs to do all adjustments, best to use Native Gamma and Native White Point.

There's little reason to force an arbitrary TRC gamma on a display. It is what it is, hence Native as an option.

There's no reason to force a display that's not anything close to 1.8 to 1.8 because its a Mac. And hopefully that will all go away in the future.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mbalensiefer

Gammas 1.8, 2.2
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:11:59 pm »

Ok. I changed my Gammas to read correctly; PC at 2.2 and Mac's at 1.8. Silly me.

How can I best (batch-file) my already-scanned, false-gamma'd, images UP .4 gamma?

Thank you,
Michael

David Good

Gammas 1.8, 2.2
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:20:37 am »

Michael,

Both platforms (monitors) should gamma 2.2, or as Andrew said, unless using high end LCD's, choose the Native settings. Whether scanning prints or transparencies you may have to rescan them to avoid any heavy lifting in your editor of choice.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up