Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D-70  (Read 6132 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nikon D-70
« on: February 22, 2004, 08:22:09 pm »

Hello William,

Few Nikon answers here, heee :-)

Assuming that the D70 behaves in a way similar to that of the D100, here is some feedback based on a 1.5 years exprerience shooting landscape with the camera:

- I have been using the sigma 17-35 v2.8-4, basically as an imterim lens, waiting for NIkon/Kodak/Fuji announcements to decide whether I would stay with Nikon or not. Since I mostly shoot at f11, the lens performs great, with only a slight distorsion problem. Flare is also not that great.

Otherwise, the lens stepped down is sharp enough. I guess that the 17-35 from Nikon would perform better but probably by a very small margin at F11.

The 12-24 is tempting, but it seems that it also needs to be stepped down to at least f8 to avoid light fall off at 12 mm.

- In terms of print size, I rarely go above A4 size but others D100 expert users (Thom Hogan for instance) claim that the D100 image quality is enough to print as large as A3 or A3+. I guess that it also depends on the type of landscape photography you do.

Personnally, I feel a slight lack of sharpeness when printing that large scenics containing a lot of fine details (like trees etc...), but the prints can nonetheless be used. At A4, you can print at 300 DPI, you have to go down to around 200 to print A3. I usually prefer avoiding interpolating since the Epson 2200 driver does a good job.

Besides, I feel that the use of a good tripod is mandatory if you intend to print larger than A4. At A4, I feel that the difference between hand held shots and trip shots can not be seen (I am of course speaking of day light shots where 1/500 or faster can used at 200 ISO).

- I haven't done stiching much, but it should work with the D70 just fine.

Best regards,
Bernard

Jack Worm

Nikon D-70
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 07:42:31 am »

Sigma got one 15-30 f3.5-4.5 I might try if I by the D70, wich I might. No vertical grip is a shame for a documentry-press-style-photographer...

Nikons 12-24 is a great range, but $1000 for a f4.0 isn´t in my taste, should be f2.8

DSLR and wide-lenses (that are bright and not toooo costly) isn´t a good mix yet

more info on tamron lens

Nikon D-70
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 10:58:12 am »

By the way, Tamron has several products lines, including SP (super performance), Di, and XR (apparently for extra refractive or high index).  Di line is speicifally identified as designed for digital.  SP is touted on their web page for digital, but they don't say much about XR.  Mine is not XR, but appears to be the predecessor to this model line.  The lens has the following notations:

AF-autofocus
Aspherical
LD-low disepersion
IF-internal focusing

it does not bear the
xr  (extra refractive) or
ad (anamolous dispersion)

designations of the current xr 28-300 lens

it is also a 3.5 to 22 lens, seemingly a bit slower than many of the lenses on the bridge digicams.

TomS

Nikon D-70
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 08:21:40 pm »

I'm just curious, after 822 hits to this topic, nobody has replied to the question I posted.  Is this considered to be too entry-level of a question for this forum, does nobody know the answer, or do those who have viewed this log just have better things to do than reply to this?

TomS

Nikon D-70
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 01:45:52 am »

Thank you for the replies.  I looked for the review of the 18-70 lens, but didn't see it there.  It looked like the D70 and the 18-70 lens were listed as scheduled for review in March, but I didn't see the reviews.  Did I miss them?

William633

Nikon D-70
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 07:39:54 pm »

I think that I will buy the new Nikon D-70, as an entry point digital camera...with it to become a probable back-up when the Fuji S-3 issues.

1) What lens other than the obvious Nikon 12-24 might rate well for wide angle photography with this camera? Tamron makes a 17-35 Ithink. And Sigma something similar, plus a 12-24 of their own, I think. Anyone got perspective on these or other possible wide angle lens for this camera?

2) May I safely assume that I can get 16X20 prints out of this camera's files? 20X24?  Will I have to interpolate one way or another? Will I be able to get pretty big panarama stitches out of this camera?

Please pardon my newbieness.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

WCC

Marshal

Nikon D-70
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 12:55:40 am »

A 5.5MP D1X can do fine(especially with an ED lens)up to 13X19. The D70 with a slightly higher MP count could do at least equally well I would think, when shot in RAW(NEF), and once again, ED lenses.  

I don't know how the D70 sensor or even the older D100 sensor compares at their lowest ISO of 200 compared to D1X at 125 or Fuji S2 at 100 ISO. And the new wrinkle is the sensor in the upcoming S3 at lowest ISO I believe of 100 again.

But as others have said here and elsewhere, it's more than just the megapixel count, but also the particular sensor and how it works as well as the software, which is also a very big variable.      

Out of curiosity if nothing else, I'm looking forward to seeing real world sample pics from Phil A and others with the D70 and S3. And of course Michael testing and evaluating the upcoming 1D-II.

TomS

Nikon D-70
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 10:41:38 am »

I own a Nikon FG body that I've had for many years and I purchased a Tamron 28-300 lens a few years ago.  Can this be used with a Nikon digital SLR like the D70?  As I read posts, I see that certain Nikkor lenses are or are not compatible.  How would I determine which lenses are or are not compatible with a digital SLR?  The Tamron web page seemed to indicate that some of their product lines are suitable for digital while others might not be?

TomS

Nikon D-70
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 11:00:28 am »

Sorry,
the last post was from me, and I accidentally entered a topic in the "name" space.

Scott_H

Nikon D-70
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 09:22:18 pm »

Like someone else said, there's not many Nikon users here, which decreases the sample space of people that might have the same lense.

I have heard good things about the Di lenses, but I think the 'for digital' line is as much marketing as anything.

DPR probably has the mounts that fit the D70.  You can make sure the lens will fit on the camera there at least.  I understand there are sometimes compatibility issues with new cameras and third party lenses, and that may be a concern.  You could probably take your lens into the store with you, and try it to make sure it works.
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Nikon D-70
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 09:58:52 pm »

I think I would look closely at the 18-70 lens that you can get with the camera.   Check out the review of this lens at www.naturfotograf.com.  It is quite impressive and costs about $300 with the camera.  There is a fairly good bundle at B&H with camera lens and 1 Gb card.

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Nikon D-70
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 08:31:49 pm »

It.s there but a bit hidden. Check the lens review page under zoom lenses.  It comes just after the review of the 18-35.
Pages: [1]   Go Up