Thank you! It looks much better now. The arrow keys work well in Safari on a Mac and the use of the up-arrow key is an unexpected bonus.
A few comments:
- I think you could use a smaller font for the navigation bar, and reduce the amount of space it takes up. The current font isn't unpleasantly large, but I think it's rather bigger than really necessary. You could make the text "(opens in a new window") even smaller, since it's not particularly important and that line is far longer than any other.
- I'm not really convinced that using red text in the navigation pane to indicate pages I've visited is a good idea. It looks rather loud, out of keeping with the nicely restrained design of the rest of the site. How about a paler shade of blue?
- Residence detection would be nice: you could then spell "colour" properly for those of us from England. (That's a joke, by the way.)
- I think you could reduce the space taken up (wasted?) by the masthead. I realise that a masthead of some kind is useful, but most of the time it's just wasting space. It's particularly true for your site when the gallery name takes up more than one line (the rock music gallery, for example). Those of us who are vertically challenged (and I'm referring to my laptop's monitor here, not me, although I've often felt that my BMI would be improved if I were to grow a couple of inches) have to scroll when viewing the individual photographs, which is less than ideal. Could you perhaps confine the masthead to the navigation bar area, leaving the display area full height?
- The tiny photo at the top left is intriguing, but I can't get information on it, which is frustrating. Making it a link would be nice.
Thank you (I think) for feeding my new website addiction. I'd have more time for photography if I could ever stop tinkering with the site, and if you stopped giving me good (sigh!) suggestions.
1. I have a test version in progress that will reduce the navigation font size (and still smaller for the "blog" footnote).
2. Chris_T suggested that distinguishing between visited and non-visited sites isn't important. So I will either go for the lighter shade of blue you suggested, or make "visited" the same as "non-visited". Do you have a preference?
3. Enogh of yor ouff-coulour jokes!!!
4. I have done some experiments, and I think I agree on the masthead issue. My test-site-in-progress has the full-width masthead only for the home page, and nestles it just above the navigation panel for all other pages. I think that will retain a sense of consistency without taking up so much space.
5. The little picture is a blanket. It will be a link in the next version, and it will have a page of its own to explain it. (Watch this space!)
6. I expect to have these revisions in place about February 1, so come back then and check it out.
I have been considering also having a small, vertical set of about three to five thumbnails to the right of each enlarged picture, to show you the next and previous ones. I may or may not have that working by February.
But thanks for the good ideas.
P.S. For the Residence detection, I will require you to wear an ankle bracelet with a GPS system so I can track your location at all times.