Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can G10 Raw files be converted to DNG for Lightroom?  (Read 4179 times)

httivals

Can G10 Raw files be converted to DNG for Lightroom?
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:51:08 am »

Given that there's a new Adobe Camera Raw and DNG converter available which support the Canon G10, can Canon G10 files be converted to DNG to then be opened/processed in Lightroom 2.1, while we're awaiting Lightroom 2.2?  I suppose that, assuming this will work, that means there are no profiles available in Lightroom 2.1, so is it a lost cause?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:46:50 am »

Yes you can do that.

And if you install the DNG Converter it will also install profiles for the G10, which you can then use in LR 2.1. So there's no problem.
Eric Chan

httivals

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58:27 am »

Excellent!  Now I'll be able to better judge the G10's raw capabilities, especially in the chromatic aberration and highlight recovery departments (where DPP is completely lacking). . . .  Can't wait until I get home tonight to experiment with the files.

. . .  Eric: Does DNG converter install the G10 profiles into each converted file?

Quote from: madmanchan
Yes you can do that.

And if you install the DNG Converter it will also install profiles for the G10, which you can then use in LR 2.1. So there's no problem.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:36:35 am »

Only the default profile will be embedded (in this case, Adobe Standard, unless you've changed the default).
Eric Chan

httivals

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:37 pm »

Eric:  I just downloaded to the RAW upgrade, but I haven't upgrade to CS4 yet (still on cS 3).  I have updated to Lightroom 2.1.  Is there a way to just install the new DNG converter without the rest of the upgrade, while I'm waiting for Lightroom to be upgrade for the Canon g10?  Thanks,

httivals

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 11:39:23 pm »

I figured it out.  There's a different download site for the DNG converter.  As expected, Lightroom circles around DPP.  Now I need to download the Lightroom 2.1 tutorial videos so I get the most out of the upgrade.  Thanks,

Quote from: httivals
Eric:  I just downloaded to the RAW upgrade, but I haven't upgrade to CS4 yet (still on cS 3).  I have updated to Lightroom 2.1.  Is there a way to just install the new DNG converter without the rest of the upgrade, while I'm waiting for Lightroom to be upgrade for the Canon g10?  Thanks,
Pages: [1]   Go Up