Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody remember the first cameras they owned?  (Read 16570 times)

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
Anybody remember the first cameras they owned?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 06:06:01 pm »

Funny actually... I went hunting for my old photographs from when I was a kid. I found my first SLR... Canon AV-1 with the f/1.8 50mm prime.
Gave it a clean up and found the lens and view finder to be in perfect condition, and the battery still had charge and it worked! The best bit was I found an old film in it, that had a few exposures left, got it developed... Three (and a half) exposures of horses in a distant field at an obscure angle, plus one of the sofa I photographed to see if it worked. It was a good learning camera.

Alexandre Buisse

• http://www.alexandrebuisse.org
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 03:13:53 am »

For me, that would be a Nikon D50, which I retired only last week.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:52:36 pm »

AE-1!

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 05:09:02 pm »

Quote from: NigelC
Something got me musing on how this all started out nearly 50 years ago. My first 3 cameras were a Box Brownie, Ilford Sporti 4, followed by a Halina 35X. I think my first SLR was a Miranda Sensorex, although I lusted after a Pentax SV

Vest Pocket Kodak. An old bellows camera taking 120 film. Did star trails with it mainly (circa 1960). Then Hanimex 35 mm, Exa with Angenieux 90mm lens, Pentax Spotmatic (superb), Minolta SRT-101, Canon A-1, Nikon D70, and finally back home to Canon!

John
Sackville, NB, Canada

mikeguil

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 09:25:46 pm »

I had various cameras 'handed-down' to me from my dad including a Baldix fold-up (120 film size) camera and a Yashica LM Twin Lens.  But the first SLR I purchased was a Canon Ftb.  Great camera.  I then moved to an AE-1, an EF (I really liked this camera), and then moved through a few F-1's and a T-90 (loved this one as well).  I still have one of my original F-1's sitting on a Shelf of Honour in my den.  When I turned pro, I had a Mamiya RZ67 for a while, then moved on to Hasselblads for most of my career until switching to Nikon for digital.  Kinda wish I hung on to that D1 - to sit it beside my F1.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 01:58:29 am »

Ahh, that was long ago, at my 12th birthday, an Olympus Trip 35 with a yellow filter, a couple of bw films and a Jobo drum for developing the films. The first SLR was a Canon AE-1.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:59:18 am by ThomasK »

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 06:53:20 pm »

In 1973 I saved money from my part time job in High School to buy a Canon FTb with 1.8 50mm lens. It was awesome first camera. I've been a Canon shooter ever since, except for a stint photographing weddings with Mamiya C330 twin lens 6x6 cameras from '79 to 81.

My current DSLR bodies are a 1DsMkIII and 40D.

Bud James
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:55:00 pm by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

vandevanterSH

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 07:14:28 pm »

Argus C3.

Steve

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 07:55:53 pm »

Leica IIIc sweet, a hand me down from my Dad. There was a quality to the film that I have never been able to reproduce in 35mm again.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Paul Sumi

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:55 am »

First 35mm film camera was a little Konica P&S when I was in Boy Scouts.  First SLR was an SRT-101.  First DSLR was the EOS 10D.  Latest (but not only) camera is a Canon G10.

Paul

dalethorn

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 06:10:50 am »

Minolta 16 - looks like a Minox but slightly larger - $15 from a PX in 1967. Followed that with a used Minox III in 1968. Shot a lot of Agepe FF. Years later a Rollei 35, then Leica M4.

Alex_B

• http://
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 07:46:22 am »

I do not really remember the camera brand or anything. All I know it was a 35mm rangefinder-ish camera, I was 8 years old or less, and I had to use a hand-held light meter.

Mike Normandeau

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

Bought a second hand Nikon EM back in the late seventies.  Although a bit beaten up after all those years, still works like a charm today

Mike
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:24:50 am by Mikenor »

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »

My 1st was a ricoh kr5 for my 11th birthday.... then ( the ricoh did not last long ) was a contax 137 in high school.

me with my contax around 1983.... notice the sexy britanica jeans and the calculator watch?

Then bought a used hassy 2000fc in cambridge england.... with a 110mm f2 and a 50mm f2.8..... used this camera until about a year ago with a phaseone h25 back.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 10:39:58 am »

Le Clic disc camera.  The (tiny) negatives were mounted on a little flexible disc.  I think the camera was supposed to b e a girls' camera, but i didn't care.  It was exciting to snap the shutter and get a 4x6 print!  I wish I could find some of those old negatives.  It would be interesting to see my "virgin" photographer's eye at work!

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »

Quote from: NigelC
Something got me musing on how this all started out nearly 50 years ago. My first 3 cameras were a Box Brownie, Ilford Sporti 4, followed by a Halina 35X. I think my first SLR was a Miranda Sensorex, although I lusted after a Pentax SV

My first camera was my roommates Pentax Spotmatic with screw mount Takumar lenses. I looked through the viewfinder and it looked so beautiful. He asked me if I wanted to buy it from him. I did. That is what propelled me into being a photographer. Those Takumar lenses were the first multi-coated. Pentax makes beautiful lenses. Years later it's now the 5DII after 3 Pentax slrs and 1 Pentax 6x7, 1 Nikon 8008 , Canon 1n slr and now my 4th Canon dslr.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 04:11:05 am »

This was my first camera, a Mamiya DSX1000. I bought it around 1974 I think. I still have it and it works like it did when I bought it.

but it's in fine photo taking shape...

And then I bought this off ebay for spare parts : seller had no idea if it worked or not...I got lucky...it's like freakin' new so I'm gonna use as is...cost, about 20 US dollars...

dalethorn

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 10:48:18 am »

We've had quite a selection of old cameras, but what would be really interesting would be one or two photos from the original camera, especially if taken early on, like the first few days.  If the photos aren't interesting, never mind.  Sometimes an early photo is more interesting than many of the later ones.

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 06:28:05 pm »

When I was in 12th grade, my dad took me to a mall camera shop and bought me a Minolta 5000i (way too much a camera for me), but we got cheapo Quantry lenses in a 'set'.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 05:03:09 am »

Quote from: witz
Then bought a used hassy 2000fc in cambridge england.... with a 110mm f2 and a 50mm f2.8.....
From the camera exchange shop (Campkins, I think) on King's Parade? I used to lust after the kit I saw in their window, but it was way beyond my means.

My first cameras were my mother's Brownie and a Kodak Instamatic (grain like wood shavings!). I graduated to a Minolta XE-1 when I started messing around in the darkroom at school.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up