Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The airline business  (Read 2238 times)

John Camp

The airline business
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:03:03 pm »

The Kiboko thread in this section inspired me to add this note, and I put it here because it didn't seem to fit elsewhere.

Photographers and others who travel with expensive gear really need to encourage the airlines to come up with a solution for transporting it. They won't insure it, and even if they would, they certainly wouldn't insure a whole photo trip that goes bad because your gear is stolen. I think we should perhaps be willing to pay to transport heavy, high-value carry-on gear -- perhaps pay by the pound -- that would be locked in a special section in the passenger compartment, or even in a special individual locker like those found in airports. The lockers might replace one seat, perhaps, and anyone who signed up for a locker in advance would be allowed an extra carry-on, would put it in the locker himself, and would retain the key until landing. With all due respect for Michael and his technique of sneaking an extra 100 kilos on board, there's got to be a better way. They might even structure the charges so that they'd average more income from the lockers per flight than they would from a passenger, so that the airlines wouldn't lose anything.

JC

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
The airline business
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:26:59 pm »

Hi JC,

While I concur it would be great for the airlines to come up with a better solution the fact remains that us photographers represent a small portion of their traveling public.  I've traveled extensively over the years and notice more often than not that I'll be the only individual getting on board with a bag of camera gear.

For me it hasn't been a problem.  I like Michael and many others travel with a photo vest and should my bag be overweight (less likely with my Kiboko bag now) I take a camera and/or lens and put it in my vest.  Problem solved.  

I think as long as we are the ones creating the problem, we need to be the ones to solve it.  For me I think I have until such time the airlines change the rules again and reduce the carry one weight and/or size (which is unlikely as the more bags that have to get checked the higher their labor costs go up to handle it all).

Kelly

John Camp

The airline business
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:41:19 pm »

It's not just photographers -- it's many classical musicians, surveyors carrying total stations, all kinds of medical instruments, even lawyers carrying papers. All kinds of  high-value stuff gets carried on, and sometimes, for long distance travel, the lack of a secure facility can be a problem. I don't really know how they'd implement it -- they had enormous trouble doing something as simple as putting in a bullet resistant door to a flight deck, something that you can actually buy at Home Depot, for your house -- but I'm sure they could. And they could charge for it. Like you, I'm a little pessimistic about the prospects -- airline management has demonstrated about as much foresight as General Motors'.

JC

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
The airline business
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:59:35 am »

A lot of what the airlines do comes from an origination called ICAO (International Civil Aviation Origination) which is part of the UN.  ICAO came about during the waning months of WWII when most of the Allies saw the future of aviation industry and wanted to standardize it as much as possible (think of the rail system at the time and the difference between Spain and the rest of the Continent).

As I said, ICAO's purpose was to standardize as much as possible and at first concentrated on tarmac lighting as well as an "international language".  ICAO has grown into a major role of what now consists of groundwork of over 90% of the countries in the world and all of their respective airlines with laws that govern not only how an airport will provide security but the security of airlines, and in this case baggage and the limitations of liability. Put in a simpler manner, ICAO sets forth the minimum standards that is acceptable to the member countries (they're called States) and those countries pass them on to their airprots and airlines.  While most countries provide a higher standard there are a few that just squeak by with the minimums.  

So while it would be really nice of the airlines to raise their level of liability it just won't happen in our lifetime as they all feel that they are doing what's required of them (and to a point they are).  The better way to get the liability raised is through individual government action which again is a hit or miss thing.

There's a heck of a lot more on this subject however it normally took about a 2 to 3 hour block of instruction.  Just to let you know I'm not speaking through my as. err hat ...  I know about this first hand as at one time before I retired from the federal government I was listed at ICAO as an aviation security expert and also taught aviation security both domestically and internationally among other things.

What do I do when I fly?  First the only airplane I've been on since retiring in 2003 was a bush plane in Alaska; however we do have a plan of sorts to visit a country we can't drive to and when that happens I plan to use UPS or FedEx.  

I will also say that I like Michael's point of view.

Cheers

don

flyingwithfish

• http://www.flyingwithfish.com
The airline business
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:54:24 am »

John,

The airline industry is unfortunately under no obligation to provide any insurance for photographers, or anyone else. As a flyer, under the terms of agreement for accepting your airline ticket, you are the flyer agree to follow the airlines rules and regulations.

You, as a flyer, can choose to pack your gear in Pelican cases and check it, or find solutions to bring it on board.  There are many creative solutions for carrying gear on board flights.  For a year I flew approximately 15,000 miles per week with a Think Tank Airport Addicted backpack loaded around 60+lbs.

In the United States, the TSA specifically allows photographers to travel with 1+1+1, this is one full-size carry on, one full-size photographic carry on, one personal item. The problem with this TSA allowance is that the airlines are in no way required to accept or adhere to this allowance. in face some airlines specifically state in their standard operating procedures for gate agents that this rule not be accepted.

While airlines are not liable for any electronics you may check, this rules does NOT apply to 'valet' checked bag (bags left at the stairs of regional jets or turbo props).   The problem here however is proving the gear was damaged by the airline and then suing the airline.

If you are interested in finding solutions to these issues, and other issues related to traveling as a photog, feel free to visit the blog I have maintained over the past two years to help photogs fly easier, smarter and with less stress at http://www.flyingwithfish.com

While I do not have the Federal Gov't experience like Don above, I study these topics in detail, and have often been quoted as an expert on many related topics by Popular Photographer, as well as having been featured on Good Morning America, recently sought out by CFO Magazine for my input on the business travel market, as well as quoted and referenced in a number of international newspapers.   At this time I've even got a restructuring international airlines picking my brain.  

Happy Flying

-Fish
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:58:06 am by flyingwithfish »
Steven Frischling
Photographer & Travel Strategist
Info For Travelling Photogs: www.flyingwithfish.com
Travel Photography Boot Camps: www.comeflywithfish.com
The Photos I Shoot: www.stevenfrischling.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up