Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrade LR 2.0 to 2.1  (Read 1771 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
upgrade LR 2.0 to 2.1
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:41:40 pm »

I just updated my Lightroom to v. 2.1 and am dismayed to find that I can no longer control sliders via the wheel on my mouse. This was a great way to control precise, even increments  of changes. What gives? Is there a new a new preference somewhere I need to change? Or is the classic case of what Adobe giveth, Adobe taketh away? Or what Adobe creates, it then screws up?

Thanks, Nemo

Richowens

upgrade LR 2.0 to 2.1
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 04:32:13 pm »

Nemo,

You are correct. This was removed to correct the multiple undos some people were experiencing when using Ctrl/Command-Z. In many cases all adjustments would be undone on a photo. This could

happen if the mouse pointer was hovered over a slider when Ctrl/Command-Z was used. Therefore this neat feature was removed.

Visit the Adobe Forum for Lightroom and do a search for "mouse wheel". Some folks have found ways around it but none of them work on my mouse. What I do is hover over the slider and use the up-

down keys for minute adjustments. Hopefully Adobe will reinstate this in a future release.

Mouse wheel thread on LR forum

Rich

barryfitzgerald

upgrade LR 2.0 to 2.1
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:33:01 pm »

As time goes on, I get more and more frustrated with LR, this only adds to that. Minor indeed, but this was a nice little feature. Still waiting for the adobe folks to sort the noise reduction at base level out, frankly it's getting beyond a joke really..

They have the golden egg of photo software programs, but seem unwilling to tackle areas that clearly need attention. Stability is another point, I had some lock ups the other day, and a few crashes to desktop too. I don't expect perfection, but really..why break something else?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:33:36 pm by barryfitzgerald »

Victoria Bampton

• Lightroom Queen
upgrade LR 2.0 to 2.1
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:55:32 am »

Quote from: barryfitzgerald
I don't expect perfection, but really..why break something else?

Barry, I agree it can be frustrating, but the mouse wheel was never a documented feature, just a side-effect of something else - the Mac version didn't work like that - and the bug that removing it fixed was a huge data loss bug.  They will usually attempt at all costs to avoid breaking something that works, but this is real life - stuff happens!  If you were one of the people affected by the ctrl-z bug, you'd be saying it was worth the trade-off.  That said, add your voice to the crowd who want the mouse wheel function back via the Official Feature Request/Bug Report Form and your wish may be granted!

As far as the rest goes, it can be easy to forget that version 2.1 is very early days in terms of complex software programming.  Most of the performance and stability issues that you mention are incompatibilities with the huge array of hardware and software combinations out there, and that takes time to narrow down.  There are a large percentage of users who are working happily with LR, and it is continuing to improve dramatically with each release, because the small team of engineers are dedicated to make it as good as they possibly can - and I have no doubt will continue to do so.
Victoria
[url=http://www.lightroomqueen.

barryfitzgerald

upgrade LR 2.0 to 2.1
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:30:01 am »

The mouse wheel is a minor point.
However, the base level noise reduction on raw files, is a serious issue, and has been around for some time now. For those of us who use digital as a higher ISO tool of choice, the results from ACR are grossly inferior to even some free programs. And no sign that Adobe is taking any notice of it.
Hence the reason I keep talking about it ;-)

It needs to be fixed, ASAP please...LR is delivering poor quality for high ISO work. Huge issue to some of us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up