Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got the NEC 3090: Need Help!  (Read 5181 times)

walter.sk

Got the NEC 3090: Need Help!
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »

I set up my new monitor (NEC 3090WQXi) and have 2 problems.  I am using a Dell XPS 730 with WinXPPro and a pair of nVidia 9800 GT video cards that came with basic configuration of the computer.  I have tried them with and without the SLI (which allows both GPU's to run in parallel when selected, mainly for my MS Flight Sim addiction).  I also have 4G of DDR3 1330 RAM, and am using CS4 and Lightroom 2 for my photographs.

The first problem:  The monitor is supposed to be run at its native resolution of 2560x1600 @60Hz.  The video cards can produce that using DVI-D output.  However, the monitor says it is getting 1270 x 760 (not sure of the exact figures).  In Display Properties Advanced tab I was able to get the nVidia software and make a custom resolution of 2560x1600, which then appeared as one of the choices in the usual Display Settings dialogue.

However, the display is now much smaller than my desktop, and I have to move the cursor to any of the 4 sides to get to the beginning or end, top or bottom of the desktop, which moves everything else off screen.  In other words, the actual display is only a small window onto what should fit within it.  I've tried all to size adjustments as well as the "auto" adjustments, and nothing seems to work.

The second problem is that on a white screen I saw two dead pixels.  Three different pixels showed up as dead, or stuck, with a black screen, and a couple with each other solid color screen, totalling about a dozen.  All are in prominent places.  

How many such dead, stuck, and partially stuck pixels are acceptable in a $2K Plus monitor?

I would appreciate any input into the first problem, and also an idea of how many other good displays are being used that have several dead pixels.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:05:33 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
I set up my new monitor (NEC 3090WQXi) and have 2 problems.  I am using a Dell XPS 730 with WinXPPro and a pair of nVidia 9800 GT video cards that came with basic configuration of the computer.  I have tried them with and without the SLI (which allows both GPU's to run in parallel when selected, mainly for my MS Flight Sim addiction).  I also have 4G of DDR3 1330 RAM, and am using CS4 and Lightroom 2 for my photographs.

The first problem:  The monitor is supposed to be run at its native resolution of 2560x1600 @60Hz.  The video cards can produce that using DVI-D output.  However, the monitor says it is getting 1270 x 760 (not sure of the exact figures).  In Display Properties Advanced tab I was able to get the nVidia software and make a custom resolution of 2560x1600, which then appeared as one of the choices in the usual Display Settings dialogue.

However, the display is now much smaller than my desktop, and I have to move the cursor to any of the 4 sides to get to the beginning or end, top or bottom of the desktop, which moves everything else off screen.  In other words, the actual display is only a small window onto what should fit within it.  I've tried all to size adjustments as well as the "auto" adjustments, and nothing seems to work.

The second problem is that on a white screen I saw two dead pixels.  Three different pixels showed up as dead, or stuck, with a black screen, and a couple with each other solid color screen, totalling about a dozen.  All are in prominent places.  

How many such dead, stuck, and partially stuck pixels are acceptable in a $2K Plus monitor?

I would appreciate any input into the first problem, and also an idea of how many other good displays are being used that have several dead pixels.

Did you download and install the latest drivers for you nVidia card?  I had a similar issue and that solved it.  

Good luck!

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:02:52 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Did you download and install the latest drivers for you nVidia card?  I had a similar issue and that solved it.  

Good luck!
Thanks, Jack:

I have been debating with myself about getting the latest driver.  I've always had problems (on older computers than what I've got now) with nVidia drivers and often had to deinstall the latest and go back to an earlier version.  I just got this computer a few weeks ago from Dell, and have not noticed a new version of the driver on the Dell website.  I'm a little hesitant to try directly from nVidia based on problems in the past, but I'll bite the bullet and try it.

This "user friendly" stuff can make  you crazy!

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:43:59 pm »

If the system is that new, then I would agree the driver is probably not the issue, but you never know...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:34:15 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

juicy

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:47:59 am »

Hi,
This is probably too obvious but are you using the cable that came with the Nec? Just had a similar problem with an 30" display because of a wrong (single-link) dvi-cable. When the cable was changed to a proper dual-link version everything was normal.

About stuck pixels: You should check the warranty terms from Nec. Most of the display manufacturers specify the number of broken pixels allowed in a new display.

Cheers,
J

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:11:28 am »

Quote from: juicy
Hi,
This is probably too obvious but are you using the cable that came with the Nec? Just had a similar problem with an 30" display because of a wrong (single-link) dvi-cable. When the cable was changed to a proper dual-link version everything was normal.

About stuck pixels: You should check the warranty terms from Nec. Most of the display manufacturers specify the number of broken pixels allowed in a new display.

Cheers,
J
I returned to the Dell website, and they had a "recommended" download of a new nVidia driver that Dell has tested for compatibility.  I downloaded and installed it. Voila!  The monitor recognized the DVI-D signal as well as the 2560x1600 resolution and is behaving itself.  Thanks for the heads-up, Jack.

The cable is the proper DVI-Dual Link cable.  I will check out the NEC policy on dead pixels, as well. I am also going to see if the new video driver will resolve some of the quirky problems I have been having in Photoshop CS4, with brush cursors being half-visible, and crashes when using some NIK Software plug-ins.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:51:40 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
I returned to the Dell website, and they had a "recommended" download of a new nVidia driver that Dell has tested for compatibility.  I downloaded and installed it. Voila!  The monitor recognized the DVI-D signal as well as the 2560x1600 resolution and is behaving itself.  Thanks for the heads-up, Jack.

The cable is the proper DVI-Dual Link cable.  I will check out the NEC policy on dead pixels, as well. I am also going to see if the new video driver will resolve some of the quirky problems I have been having in Photoshop CS4, with brush cursors being half-visible, and crashes when using some NIK Software plug-ins.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Do did your new 3090 have some dead pixels??? If so, that's pretty depressing, since they cost so much.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 11:18:14 am »

Quote from: bellimages
Do did your new 3090 have some dead pixels??? If so, that's pretty depressing, since they cost so much.

I don't think what I thought were dead or stuck pixels really were.  I had used the NaviSet test images when I first saw them, and now that the updated video driver is installed I went back to see if the damaged pixels were still there.  On the first screen, the black image, I saw no dead pixels until I dragged the software's dialog box to see if it had been hiding something.  Low and behold, there were two bright "dead pixels" right where the upper corners of the dialog box had been!  I then dragged the dialog box back over the dead pixels, and they disappeared!  I tried the white, red, green, and blue screens, and found that where ever the dialog box was positioned before getting the test screens, there were 2 seemingly partially dead pixels, which also disappeared when I dragged the dialogue box onto them and then moved it.

The corners of the dialogue box were slightly mitered, and the "dead pixels" were simply the display's trying to fill in those corners.  Subsequently I made white, black and various colored screens at 2560x1600 pixels, and 101ppi resolution (the native screen res of the monitor).  If there are any problem pixels. I was unable to find them.  Whew, I'm relieved!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:19:47 am by walter.sk »

mbalensiefer

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:51:40 am »

What store in the States can I find an out-of-box buy? I'd like to view my 3090 in person...I'd rather not deal with dead pixels.

juicy

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:13 pm »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
What store in the States can I find an out-of-box buy? I'd like to view my 3090 in person...I'd rather not deal with dead pixels.

If I read it correctly there were no dead pixels after all.
J
Pages: [1]   Go Up