Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting to DNG  (Read 2209 times)

Mark F

Converting to DNG
« on: November 22, 2008, 10:23:18 pm »

I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out and searched on this forum but haven't found the answer so help would be appreciated.

I have imported images as CR2 files in subfolders saved by date of capture.  Before beginning post-processing I would like to convert them to DNG (without deleting or moving the CR2 files), while saving the DNG to different folders.  If there is a way to do this I cannot figure it out.

Thanks.
Mark

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Converting to DNG
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:34:45 am »

Quote from: Mark F
I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out and searched on this forum but haven't found the answer so help would be appreciated.

I have imported images as CR2 files in subfolders saved by date of capture.  Before beginning post-processing I would like to convert them to DNG (without deleting or moving the CR2 files), while saving the DNG to different folders.  If there is a way to do this I cannot figure it out.

Thanks.

The easiest way to do this is not to import the CR2 files, but to tell Lightroom to copy the files as DNG and import.  This way you can copy the DNG files to whatever folder you want and then add them to the catalog in one step.  However, I don't know of any way to do what you're asking...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Mark F

Converting to DNG
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »

Mike,

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the answer. I guess I'll use DPP from now on to import images and do the initial edit, then only bring the remaining images into the LR catalog.

Actually, I'm curious how other people are handling files. I got some good advice here to retain the CR2 files in case I ever wanted to use a different, non-Adobe developer. So I planned to store the CR2 files on a different drive than where the DNG files are kept. It turns out that on converting, the DNG files are saved in the same directory as the source CR2 files and the only way to move the CR2 files is to highlight each one separately.  And I do not think that Leopard allows sorting by file extension type. Obviously a royal pain.

Mark

quote name='wolfnowl' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:34 AM' post='238909']
The easiest way to do this is not to import the CR2 files, but to tell Lightroom to copy the files as DNG and import.  This way you can copy the DNG files to whatever folder you want and then add them to the catalog in one step.  However, I don't know of any way to do what you're asking...

Mike.
[/quote]
Mark

jani

• Øyet
Converting to DNG
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:18:33 pm »

Quote from: Mark F
It turns out that on converting, the DNG files are saved in the same directory as the source CR2 files and the only way to move the CR2 files is to highlight each one separately.  And I do not think that Leopard allows sorting by file extension type. Obviously a royal pain.
Okay, the Finder isn't exactly the best user interface for handling files ever invented, but it can make these things just as easy for you as in Windows Explorer.

First, open the folder with your files:

[attachment=9841:Finder_1.png]

Then, select detail list view:

[attachment=9842:Finder_2.png]

And finally, sort by file type ("kind"):

[attachment=9843:Finder_3.png]

Command+z for undoing your changes works, too.
Jan

Mark F

Converting to DNG
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:48:42 pm »

Thanks Jan, problem solved. I would have known how to solve this in XP Explorer but am new to Leopard.  

Mark

Quote from: jani
Okay, the Finder isn't exactly the best user interface for handling files ever invented, but it can make these things just as easy for you as in Windows Explorer.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up