Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resize in Export?  (Read 1569 times)

Kuryan Thomas

Resize in Export?
« on: November 22, 2008, 10:04:54 pm »

I'd like to export an image from Lightroom 2.1 in such a way that the long dimension becomes 18 ins but the image is not resampled (change the resolution as needed). This is the equivalent of opening in Photoshop, selecting Image Size, unchecking Resample Image, and then changing the longer dimension to 18 ins.

How do I do this in Lightroom with the Export dialog? I select "Resize to Fit", then select "Don't Resize". Then I choose "Long Dimension" and enter 18 ins. But it forces me to select a resolution. Whatever resolution I choose, Lightroom exports at that resolution and lets the long dimension vary. I want the opposite: fix the long dimension and let the resolution fall wherever it needs to.

The reason for this export is to prepare for printing in ImagePrint. The dimensions need to be correct but ImagePrint will handle the resampling to 360dpi.

Thanks for any help.

brianrpatterson

• http://www.brianrpatterson.com
Resize in Export?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »

According to Martin Evening:

"If the Don't Enlarge check box is selected, this will resize the photo to the desired output dimensions, but if the source (original) photo is smaller than this size it will output the photo at its native pixel size."

I tried it by choosing Resize to Fit and the long dimension set to 18" - here's what I got

28.4 MB original .psd file
25.8 MB new .psd file

Seems like to made the 'bigger' file with the existing pixels... not altogether sure.
Brian Patterson[/color

Kuryan Thomas

Resize in Export?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »

Quote from: brianrpatterson
According to Martin Evening:

"If the Don't Enlarge check box is selected, this will resize the photo to the desired output dimensions, but if the source (original) photo is smaller than this size it will output the photo at its native pixel size."
OK, that is what I'm seeing. So it would appear I can't do what I need and have to round-trip to Photoshop and the Resize Image dialog. Thanks for responding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up