Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 - Setting Paper Length?  (Read 2564 times)

karrphoto

Z3100 - Setting Paper Length?
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:21:07 pm »

When I add a new paper, why can't I set the length of the roll, so the accounting and I know how much is left on the roll?

I looked at the manual online and I can't see anywhere that I would set the roll length and I think this is especially crucial on the more expensive 39' Rolls I just bought.

What am I missing???

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:21:34 pm »

It has no such feature.

karrphoto

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:06:29 pm »

Quote from: kaelaria
It has no such feature.

That sucks.  So why it has "roll length" as information in the "about paper" is pretty much useless huh?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:30:48 am »

Quote from: karrphoto
That sucks.  So why it has "roll length" as information in the "about paper" is pretty much useless huh?

More like waiting for a firmware upgrade to become functional I guess.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Edhopkins

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 05:50:07 am »

When I add a new paper, why can't I set the length of the roll, so the accounting and I know how much is left on the roll?

I live without the feature by use of an excel spread sheet. When I put a roll in I record the total paper usage of the printer of this particular kind of paper that you can get by means of the print utility.  When I want to know how much paper is left I go back to the print utility, record the current total usage of that kind of paper and the spread sheet tells me how much paper I have left on this roll.  You do have to have a spread sheet for each kind of paper. (Meaning I have not bothered to simplify that part of the spread sheet so far.)  It works great. I have ours tuned so that we can see how many more prints of a certain size we can get out of a roll.

I will be glad to send you the spread sheet if you want it.  You could tune it for your paper.  

Ed

Baltimore

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:54:05 am »

Roll Length is simply telling you how big of a roll it was when new, not an updated field such as Roll Remaining.

Yes, it's pretty useless.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 03:54:05 pm »

As far as I can tell there's nothing stopping them from implementing what Canon has done.  Canon prints a bar code on the roll and reads it when its fed back in.  It asks you for roll length in the beginning and tracks it for you.  At least this is how a friend explains its use on his ipf 9000.
Regards,
Ron

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:27:34 am »

Quote from: rdonson
As far as I can tell there's nothing stopping them from implementing what Canon has done.  Canon prints a bar code on the roll and reads it when its fed back in.  It asks you for roll length in the beginning and tracks it for you.  At least this is how a friend explains its use on his ipf 9000.

Macdermid Colorspan (now part of HP) prints a small 6pt line on the end of the roll with the amount in feet and inches left after each use. You don't have to load the roll to read the length remaining, but you do need to input the beginning length for each roll. This would be a simple software update for the Z3200, which calculates the paper usage for each job anyway. (Matt...are you reading this?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up