Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H2 body firmware update  (Read 17206 times)

Esben

• captureforce.com
Hasselblad H2 body firmware update
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 11:17:08 am »

Quote from: lisa_r
Paul, does the latest firmware resolve the mirror slap issues with the H1 as well, or just the H2?

Hi Lisa

I have three H1/H2 bodies and use them professionally in my capture business. I also work daily with any system that my clients ask for, including the Phase One 645 III.

The Hasselblad H1/H2 mirror shake is dependent on several factors.
The firmware delay will not prevent the shake, only delay the exposure, which will reflect in less shake at the moment the picture is taken.
A factor which has as much influence on the shake, is which lens you use: the larger lens, the more shake. When you use the 100mm, 80mm, 50mm, which are all lighter and smaller lenses, the shake will be "more" controllable. The shake is only an issue when you handhold the camera.

My opinion about the H1/H2 camera is that it's the best 645 system out there, and has been ever since it was released.

Features:
Fast and exact autofocus, solidly constructed, synchs up to 1/800th sec., ultra sharp lenses. The 50-110mm zoom was tested by Michael Reichmann a while ago together with the Apo Sironar HM 100mm, see link: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/back-testing.shtml  
I have personally experienced the same differences of  sharpness on other occasions with other HR lenses.  
All in all, the system just works.

What I don't like is the "new" corporate Hasselblad attitude towards its costumers (me). Locking me out with their lenses that are incompatible with a system that I was sold as "Future Proof and Upgradeable". That's just plain lying, as well as bad business ethics, and I'm embarrassed to admit that they share the same country of origin as me.

What to do in the future is hard to say, since nothing will stop Mamiya from doing the same, they have the right to do so, and if they deem its necessary for the survival of the brand, they are going to do so.
The AFi and Hy6 is already locked.

I have 2 more things I would like to mention. When buying an H3D-II, you get one body and one back. What about a back-up? Yes, you can buy an extra body directly from Hasselblad, at a mere $7000/body !
Also, though I'm happy to hear that Phocus now has an auto file developer function which will convert 3F files to DNG on the go,  there's still a delay and a toll on the computer's processor. What if you are shooting to a laptop on-location and the client wants to walk away with the RAW files at the end of the day. Will you hand over 3F files which can't open in Photoshop?

All the best,
Esben

Digital Tech NYC // LA
Captureforce

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 11:32:26 am »

Quote from: Esben
I have 2 more things I would like to mention. When buying an H3D-II, you get one body and one back. What about a back-up? Yes, you can buy an extra body directly from Hasselblad, at a mere $7000/body !
Also, though I'm happy to hear that Phocus now has an auto file developer function which will convert 3F files to DNG on the go,  there's still a delay and a toll on the computer's processor. What if you are shooting to a laptop on-location and the client wants to walk away with the RAW files at the end of the day. Will you hand over 3F files which can't open in Photoshop?

All the best,
Esben

Hi Esben,

The spare H3DII body is nothing like $7000USD!  It would be much nearer half that, so I am sorry if you have been misinformed.  You could check YFO.se price list.

In SEK it is 28,245 which is about 3100USD.  Not quite 7000 I am happy to say.

As a DNG alternative you could also hand over a copy of Phocus to your client.  There are no licencing issues.

Best Regards,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

lisa_r

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 11:45:30 am »

Thanks for your insights Esben.

Esben

• captureforce.com
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Esben,

The spare H3DII body is nothing like $7000USD!  It would be much nearer half that, so I am sorry if you have been misinformed.  You could check YFO.se price list.

In SEK it is 28,245 which is about 3100USD.  Not quite 7000 I am happy to say.

As a DNG alternative you could also hand over a copy of Phocus to your client.  There are no licencing issues.

Best Regards,

David

Hi David

I'm happy to hear I was incorrect about the price for a spare body (without viewfinder and matt-screen).

So what happens if I buy two sets of Hasselblad H3D-II, ei. one 31 and one 50. Do I need to buy two spare bodies, since they are focus adjusted and mated specific to the individual H3D-II camera?

In regards to  the RAW files delivery, I see many clients, both editorial and advertising, who want RAW files instead of TIFFs. If I was asking my clients to use a new piece of software, just so they could see the images, I might as well say: Thanks, nice working with you, and never expect them to call again.
For most people, life is too short to learn each of the new software applications on the market, not to mention keeping themselves ajour with up-dates. This is why, each time I talk to Hasselblad developers, technicians, or sales people, I've tried to emphasize the importance of file compatibility with PS, especially if Hasselblad wants to make it to the rental-houses around the world.
I don't know any digital techs here in NYC and LA who work intensely with Phocus (if anybody knows one, please send me an email off list) and the same goes for Sinar.

Hasselblad might be on track if they made a back which spits out DNG + JPGs like the new Sinar 65, and shoots at the same speed as a Leaf S-back.

Personally, I don't believe Hasselblad, when they say that the HC28mm doesn't work with backs of different make. I'm sure the ADC does a great job, but what about showing me a picture which was shot with a non-Hasselblad back and the HC28mm to prove the horrific outcome. Let the people decide for themselves! I would be fine if they made the biggest disclaimer on the lens as long as I could shoot  with it.

Anyway, there are many very nice features about the H3D-II system that I haven't mentioned in this post and plenty of reasons why to buy it. For some working photographers, however, this is not the system (yet), and just to be clear, I have a equivalent long laundry-list with Phase One/Mamiya, Leaf/AFi and Sinar

Best,
Esben

Digital Tech NYC // LA
Captureforce
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up