Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H2 body firmware update  (Read 17207 times)

cmykphoto

Hasselblad H2 body firmware update
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:45:14 pm »

i just notice that the new hasselblad H2 body firmware is version is 9.4.1 and the version on my H2 body is 9.1.1, i'm using H2 with phaseone P30+ and work with no problem, my questions are:

1. it's necessary to update the firmware to the lastest version one on my body? any difference?
2. how to update without a hasselblad digtial back, since i can't find any firewire connection on the body?

thanks!!!

cmykphoto

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 03:28:01 am »

I can't tell you the difference between 9.1.1 and 9.4.1 so I cannot comment whether it is relevant for you (maybe one of the Hasselblad guys can).

For Upgrading the firmware; Your friendly Hasselblad dealer or find a friend with a Hasselblad back to help you. I think these are your options to upgrade your firmware.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:29:25 am by Dustbak »

vjbelle

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:35:29 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
I can't tell you the difference between 9.1.1 and 9.4.1 so I cannot comment whether it is relevant for you (maybe one of the Hasselblad guys can).

For Upgrading the firmware; Your friendly Hasselblad dealer or find a friend with a Hasselblad back to help you. I think these are your options to upgrade your firmware.

According to the Hasselblad site the latest firmware is 9.2.2 which addresses the delayed mirror shake and white balance button assignment.  

Victor

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:42:33 am »

The shutter delay after mirror up comes in very handy. That would definitely be something worthwile upgrading your firmware.

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:00:50 am »

Quote from: cmykphoto
i just notice that the new hasselblad H2 body firmware is version is 9.4.1 and the version on my H2 body is 9.1.1, i'm using H2 with phaseone P30+ and work with no problem, my questions are:

1. it's necessary to update the firmware to the lastest version one on my body? any difference?
2. how to update without a hasselblad digtial back, since i can't find any firewire connection on the body?

thanks!!!

cmykphoto

I tried to include changes specific to H1 and H2. Some of the feature and function changes are also applicable to the HxD cameras as well.

#1,

Functional changes
None

Improvements
Increased support for camera controls via Phocus

Functional Changes
1. The new camera engine has been modified to work on H2D cameras as well. As a result of this the HCD28 lens and HVD80x viewfinder works on the H2D.
2. New user button function; Expose.
3. The default interval time changed back to 30 s.

Improvements
1. GIL support added.
2. Possible for FlexColor to adjust the focus regardless of camera mode (previously only possible
in video-mode).
3. Alerts sent to digital back when AF-mode, LM-mode and Fixed exposure adjustment is
changed, which allows for Phocus to monitor and control these parameters.

Additional changes – H1, H1D, H2, H2D, H3D, H3DII

It is now possible to Asssign AE-L to any user button.

Battery Status
An immediate full screen informational battery status check now appears on the grip LCD by holding down the illumination battery status button. This screen displays:
• The firmware version of the camera body  (left) and digital magazine (right).
• The number of exposures taken since the last battery recharge/changed.
• A battery status icon that provides a quick visual check as well as a figure estimate
in percentage.
    Please note that the battery status icon is only available when the rechargeable 7.2v Li-ion battery grip is fitted.

The information regarding the number of exposures taken is intended to help you make an estimate of the number of possible remaining exposures according to your way of working. For example, if you regularly browse a great deal when shooting or you leave the camera in standby mode of 30 seconds, you would naturally expect the drain the battery sooner than others who don’t. You should soon be able to build a picture of how you usually work and can therefore estimate that after X number of exposures, you normally expect to be able to take Y exposures before the battery is exhausted (when working in a similar manner in similar conditions).

The percentage information, however, provides another kind of estimate based more on the amount of power left in the battery rather than on your normal way of working.
Remember that these are only estimates and that there are a number of factors affecting remaining battery status: ambient temperature ...

Mirror delay
A new Custom Option has been added to lessen some camera shake problems common with longer hand held exposures leading to a loss of sharpness. The normal remedy of using a tripod or support and manually raising the mirror is not always suitable.

To counteract this situation, you can now increase the delay time between the mirror settling into its raised position and the opening of the shutter. Although the time here is in milliseconds, tests have shown a marked improvement in many cases. Consequently, slower shutter speeds can be considered (whether hand held or on a tripod/support) than would normally be advised while still retaining sharpness normally only obtainable with faster shutter speeds.

There are number of factors – shutter speed/sturdiness of tripods or support/focal length of lens – to take into account when determining the ideal setting. 50 milliseconds are suggested as a good starting point for experimentation and is the default setting.  

The amount of time that the ON-OFF button must be depressed before turning on the camera on has been increased from 500 ms to 750ms to avoid unintentional battery drain (inadvertently pressed in a camera bag, for example).

ISO, white balance, as well as color temperature and color tint are now stored in the camera profile, be aware of which settings you have made regarding ISO and white balance when saving. (Color tint although not a user setting, is invisibly stored anyway after manual white balance has been made and in accordance with the prevailing light conditions at the time).  

Added or changed functionality H1 / H1D / H2 / H2D Camera  

Turning the camera off from Standby
The camera can now be turned off directly from the Standby mode by pressing the on-off button. In previous versions it was necessary to firrst click the on-off button to reactivate the camera, release the button and then pressing it again to turn the camera off.

Histogram display
Before, when a histogram was displayed on the camera grip LCD, it was necessary to press any button twice in order to implement a chosen function. The first press would only clear the histogram. In the 9.2.0 release, a single press of any button (not only function buttons but also FLASH, AF, MENU, etc) will implement the function directly. For example, when the USER button is set to AF Drive, a single press will clear the histogram and then implement AF Drive automatically in one action.

“Standard”
The light metering mode has now been changed from Average to Centre Weighted in the “Standard”

Added or changed functionality

Exposure adjustment setting
The user can now select the amount of exposure compensation for each click of the control wheel. The setting is made in the Custom Option #3. This will affect the setting of quick adjust (rear control wheel) and fixed exposure adjustment. Possible settings: 1, 1/2 or 1/3 stop choice which replaces the previous 1/3 stop only incremental step.

Interval exposure function
The Interval function has two new functions. Firstly it now supports an unlimited number of exposures, secondly a delay before the first exposure can be set in Custom option #29. Possible settings: Number of exposures: 2-99, No limit. For the initial delay: None, 2, 10, 60 or the interval time.

Bracketing exposure function
The bracketing function now supports 7 and 9 frames in addition to 2, 3 or 5 as in previous versions.  Possible settings: 2, 3, 5, 7 or 9. In the bracketing mode the viewfinder display no longer shows any bracketing information.

Aperture indication
In Custom Option #30 the user can select to display the aperture indication on the grip in two different ways.

Flash warning
In Custom Option #28 the user can select to inactivate the underexposure warning for the flash (”Low Flash”).  Possible settings: On or Off.

Aperture indication
Light meter: Aperture values in Manual exposure mode are presented as on most hand-held light meters where a smaller digit is shown after the aperture value indicating the number of 1/10 stops to add to the main value.  

Normal: Aperture values are presented as e.g. ”5.6 - 6.8 - 8”.

#2,
For firmware updating to the body.
a. Firmware updating can be performed via Ixpress C, CF or H3D/H3DII digital magazines.
b. Send in your body to Hasselbad USA for firmware upgrade. There is charge for this service if only the firmware is upgrade. If any camera is sent in for service, upgrading of firmware is automatic and no additional charge applies.
c. Visit your local Authorized Hasselblad dealer and ask if they would do the upgrade for you. There may be a charge involved, so make sure you inquire.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:04:08 am »

Quote from: vjbelle
According to the Hasselblad site the latest firmware is 9.2.2 which addresses the delayed mirror shake and white balance button assignment.  

Victor

The current firmware is 9.4.1
The website has not been updated with a new technical document showing changes since 9.2.2
Hopefully you will use the list I posted previously to this topic.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

Martin E

• http://datafocus@ihug.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 04:56:43 pm »

Quote from: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS
The current firmware is 9.4.1
The website has not been updated with a new technical document showing changes since 9.2.2
Hopefully you will use the list I posted previously to this topic.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

I have a similar situation in that my H2D has a body  with firmware 9.03 and it should be v2.0.1. I cannot find whether it is worth updating. You may ask how I got myself into this situation of the mismatch. The back was bought thinking I could use on my H2 but of course it will not recognise it. Luckily after months of searching  I found a H2D body for sale and put the two together. Only then I find the firewire connection will not communicate with the pc. It gets power but Phocus cannot see it. Big lesson for me. Next time I will buy from a dealer as normal. So my question is should I make a trip to the Hasselblad dealer and see if they can update the body for me ?

Martin Earnshaw

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:09:13 am »

Quote from: Martin E
I have a similar situation in that my H2D has a body  with firmware 9.03 and it should be v2.0.1. I cannot find whether it is worth updating. You may ask how I got myself into this situation of the mismatch. The back was bought thinking I could use on my H2 but of course it will not recognise it. Luckily after months of searching  I found a H2D body for sale and put the two together. Only then I find the firewire connection will not communicate with the pc. It gets power but Phocus cannot see it. Big lesson for me. Next time I will buy from a dealer as normal. So my question is should I make a trip to the Hasselblad dealer and see if they can update the body for me ?

Martin Earnshaw

Hi Martin,

So you did you buy the digital part of the H2D separately?  Shouldn't be possible as they were only ever sold as complete cameras.

If you are getting power from the PC then I see no reason why it should not communicate - unless the Firewire port has been damaged.  If you are using Windows then check you have the drivers installed.

The dealer should be able to update the body easily using Phocus.  If they cannot communicate with the H2D then sounds like the Firewire port has been damaged - perhaps why it was sold on separately?

Best,

David

PS.  And YES you should definitely update.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:09:51 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Martin E

• http://datafocus@ihug.co.nz
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:03:05 pm »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Martin,

So you did you buy the digital part of the H2D separately?  Shouldn't be possible as they were only ever sold as complete cameras.

If you are getting power from the PC then I see no reason why it should not communicate - unless the Firewire port has been damaged.  If you are using Windows then check you have the drivers installed.

The dealer should be able to update the body easily using Phocus.  If they cannot communicate with the H2D then sounds like the Firewire port has been damaged - perhaps why it was sold on separately?

Best,

David

PS.  And YES you should definitely update.

Thanks for your help David. The body was a backup and I never got the whole story about the back. Both were from different locations in  the US. It is still a mystery as it has little use. As for the update I did try the card method with the .cim file but the body would not update. Guess I will make the trip to the dealer.
Best Regards Matin

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 01:18:03 pm »

Quote from: Martin E
Thanks for your help David. The body was a backup and I never got the whole story about the back. Both were from different locations in  the US. It is still a mystery as it has little use. As for the update I did try the card method with the .cim file but the body would not update. Guess I will make the trip to the dealer.
Best Regards Matin

Ok!  Odd!

The .cim file only updates the back not the body.

For the body update you need to be connected to Phocus or FlexColor as there is a bit more involved to that update.

Yep, so make a trip to the dealer.  If the Firewire port is damaged then it will need a trip to Denmark.

Best,

David

David Grover

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 05:05:49 pm »

Is it worth the extra $$ to get an H2 instead of an H1?

I hear that the only diff is a firmware upgrade. The difference in price is like $1000 or so.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

• Capture One
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 01:56:22 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
Is it worth the extra $$ to get an H2 instead of an H1?

I hear that the only diff is a firmware upgrade. The difference in price is like $1000 or so.

It is not just firmware, also electronics.

Wether choosing an H1 or an H2 depends on its application.

Best,

David
David Grover

hvk

• http://www.vonklopp.se
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

It is not just firmware, also electronics.

Wether choosing an H1 or an H2 depends on its application.

Best,

David

Is there a difference in functionality when used with a film back?

regards,
Henrik

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 04:28:39 pm »

Quote from: hvk
Is there a difference in functionality when used with a film back?

regards,
Henrik

Henrik

There is no difference between an H1 or H2 when used with an HM 16-32 film magazine.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 05:00:04 pm »

How Can I find the version on H1 Body ?

is it ? > Menu > Settings > system status > Body 9.10

is it possible (and necessary)  to update the H1 Firmware with a PhaseOne 45 Back ?

... and how ?

thank you
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:03:27 pm by erick.boileau »

Nick-T

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 06:57:53 pm »

Quote from: erick.boileau
How Can I find the version on H1 Body ?

is it ? > Menu > Settings > system status > Body 9.10
yes
is it possible (and necessary)  to update the H1 Firmware with a PhaseOne 45 Back ?

... and how ?

thank you

It's neither possible nor necessary. The H2 Upgrade enabled better communication between Hasselblad backs and bodies and allowed the back (Hasselblad) to draw power from the body handgrip.
Included in the upgrade is a (much more powerful) 7.2v battery and charger.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 01:41:26 am »

thank you Nick-T

then I shall wait 5  or 10 years when the New H4D or H5D will allow 20 minutes exposure to upgrade my Hasselblad :-)

lisa_r

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 09:39:22 am »

Paul, does the latest firmware resolve the mirror slap issues with the H1 as well, or just the H2?

• Capture One
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 10:08:28 am »

Quote from: lisa_r
Paul, does the latest firmware resolve the mirror slap issues with the H1 as well, or just the H2?

Hi Lisa,

As Paul writes, it also applies to the H1.

Best,

David
David Grover

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 10:11:12 am »

Hi Lisa,

As Paul writes, it also applies to the H1.

Best,

David
Can an H3DII39 back be used to update the firmware of an H1?

Kind regards,
Derek
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up