Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to LR2.1  (Read 1654 times)

KeithR

Moving to LR2.1
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:08:16 pm »

I just finished installing LR 2 and the update to 2.1. I have not used it yet. I have been working with LR1.x since the begining and would like to migrate everything to 2.1. I have LL LR2 tutorial but have had a hard time understanding the first part about moving the files. I'm sure that it is because his file structure is set up differently than mine. First, I'm on Win Vista. I have all my files in "Pictures".  When I followed the LR2 tutorial, I(in LR2) "open catalog" and navigated to "pictures" where I have a number of folders that contain sub folders, ect. When I click on one folder, let's say "NFL", it opens a number of sub folders, ie, 2008, and inside that are individual game folders that have image files from that game. No mater which folder I click on I get a a dialog box to enter, but the file extensions are for my raw files and what the dialog box wants is lrcat. I do have a folder in "Pictures" that says Lightroom that has 4 folders:"Backups", "Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata", "Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat"," & "Lightroom Catalog. lrcart". I understand that "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat" contains the files from LR1.x and that "Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat" is empty(since I haven't done anything in LR2 yet). I'm at a loss as to what I need to do so that I can work on my files in LR2. In the Lightroom folder(under Pictures) if I click on "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat" I get a dilog box asking me to
"Please upgrade the catalog file "Lightroom Catalog" for use with Lightroom 2."
Lightroom will create a new catalog file in the destination indicated below. It gives me the destination , the option to change it, and to chose a different catalog to upgrade.
Since I have only one folder in in "Pictures" is this the only folder I need be concerned with? If I were to follow the instructions in this dialog box, would this upgrade all my folders/files, etc. Would it create duplicates that I don't need? What about Previews and backups?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 01:20:39 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
Moving to LR2.1
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:21:38 pm »

Quote from: KeithR
I understand that "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat" contains the files from LR1.x and that "Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat" is empty(since I haven't done anything in LR2 yet). I'm at a loss as to what I need to do so that I can work on my files in LR2.

Simply select and open your LR1 catalog (Lightroom Catalog.lrcat).  It will be converted to a LR2 catalog upon opening and saved with a different name.  The original LR1 catalog will remain untouched.   You'll now be working with everything you had in LR1 but in a LR2 format catalog.

Bob Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up