Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plug-in Power!  (Read 7365 times)

mbalensiefer

Plug-in Power!
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:32:37 am »

Hi!

I am trying to obtain JUST the most-useful Photoshop plug-ins.
Browsing Layers Magazine freebies, PS boards, and Google; it seems there are simply a ton of them--many of them frivolous time-wasters that take up your hard drive space.

So I am asking you folks which ones you find most indispensible!

I'll start off the list:

1) Neatimage

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:00:29 am »

I really love the Nik plugins...  DFine is a great noise-reduction solution, they have a few others for color correction and sharpening, and they just released Silver Efex Pro which is a really interesting B/W conversion package.  There are a couple things in particular I like, one is that the interface is very complimentary to Adobe- you don't feel like they're re-inventing the wheel, or you have to learn all new things (like with Aperture, for example...).  

The other thing that I like, of course, is that Nik plugins work as Smart Filters in my Smart Object RAW workflow...  

(OK, I heard the groans...    )

NeatImage does not work on Smart Object layers...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:09:43 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

Dward

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:19:29 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
Hi!

I am trying to obtain JUST the most-useful Photoshop plug-ins.
Browsing Layers Magazine freebies, PS boards, and Google; it seems there are simply a ton of them--many of them frivolous time-wasters that take up your hard drive space.

So I am asking you folks which ones you find most indispensible!

I'll start off the list:

1) Neatimage

2.  PhotoKit Sharpener
3.  Genuine Fractals
4. Noise Ninja

There are lots of good ones, but these are the ones I use constantly.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

walter.sk

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:26:11 pm »

I've been using Photoshop since version 4.5.  Over the years I've tried oodles of plug-ins but there are a few that are now permanent parts of my work, and I find them extremely useful:

1) Focus Magic, which is a deconvolution program.  It actually measures the width of the blur in your image and when the number-crunching is done, the image is re-focused.  Not sharpened in the usual sense of the word, but re-focused.  It will also help remove blur from camera movement.  The re-focusing is subtle, and through masks or selections you can use it selectively.  It is not capable of saving a truly out of focus image, but in my workflow it is used to counteract the A-A filter's softening.  Usually it does such a good job that no further sharpening is neccessary unles I am printing larger than 11x17.  When going larger I use Qimage's Smart Sharpening and Hybrid interpolation.

2) NIK Viveza and Dfine 2 are indispensible.  Dfine 2 has replaced both Noise Ninja and Neat Image in my arsenal, and gives me as much if not more control with much, much less effort.  Viveza is wonderful for local color and tone adjustments and for me, at least, is more accurate and easier to use than even the new adjustment brush in LR2.

3)  NIK Silver Efex, which again gives me more control, and with much less effort, for converting to B&W than anything in LR or CS4.  It has many more options, many presets that automatically show how your image would look, the ability to use the presets as a starting point and then alter any aspect of the image, and then to save new presets.  The big advance in Photoshop is the B&W converer, either in RAW or as an adjustment layer, that gives you sliders for each color. Well, in Silver Efex that type of panel is just one tiny part of the available tools.  You can also use control points to fine tune any area large or small to give exactly the tone and contrast you want.

4)  NIK's Color Efex 3.  This has some filters that can give very subtle effects, as well as others that make very creative starting points which are then easily adjustible.

5)  I also keep Grasshopper Software's Image Align Pro on board.  This gives more tools and control for fixing with ease the following parameters: Pincushion, Barrel Distortion, Rotation, Vertical Perspective, Horizontal Perspective, Vertical Skew, Horizontal Skew, and Scaling.  There is nothing in Image Align Pro that you cant get to through Transform, Free Transform and Lens Correction but it is all in one place.  You can also easily move the center of the activity and monitor the results immediately.

6)  While not a plug-in, Qimage is also indispensable to me for printing.  It has the following advantages:  Better interpolation than CS4, at least for my images.  Output sharpening that automatically takes into account the paper profile and size.  Both are done on the fly so you don't have to save a huge file before printing.  Also, I have found Qimage's softproof to be more accurate than Photoshop in terms of showing the actual areas that are out of gamut and how they will look in the print, rather than CS4's OOG warning, which puts gray splotches all over the image while Qimage shows much smaller areas but is much more accurate.  Qimage also overrides the quirky  insistence of my HP Z3100 on unequal margins, allowing me to center images on the print where Photoshop would not.  Finally, Qimage allows me to set up picture packages with more ease and greater flexibility than CS4.

I do not work for NIK, Qimage or Focus Magic or the other publishers.  But in all of my years with Photoshop, I can say that these plug-ins either give me functions I could not do in Photoshop, or allow me to do them more easily and quickly.  Any way, I hope you find this useful.  You can Google the other software.  All allow free trials.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:46:38 pm by walter.sk »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:32:09 pm »

Regarding your comments about QIMAGE.  I want to print 30x40 images and the possibility of not having to save this large files and enlarge on an as needed basis is attractive.  Will enlarging from 11x6 up to 30x40 really retain the detail  and make the sharpening adjustment it advertises be as good as they say it will?  ANy one have experience going this large with this software?

I am on a MAC so would have to use Parallels and windows to use this software.  So far the new  interpolating in CS3 has seemed good so the question is will investing in additional software to use Qimage woth the result??

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

lbenac

• http://www.LucBenacPhoto.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:33:10 pm »

These are the one I use:
* Focus Fixer - deconvolution instead of capture sharpening
* Curvemeister - for Lab* color workflow and some masks
* PKS - creative sharpening
When not converting RAW files with DXO, I also use:
* PT Lens - geometry
* Noiseware

I have tried some of the NIK plugin but I did not see enough benefit that would justify the large price tag.

Cheers,

Luc Benac
Amateur Photos from Canada, Fr

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:25:17 am »

Quote from: lbenac
These are the one I use:
* Focus Fixer - deconvolution instead of capture sharpening
* Curvemeister - for Lab* color workflow and some masks
* PKS - creative sharpening
When not converting RAW files with DXO, I also use:
* PT Lens - geometry
* Noiseware

I have tried some of the NIK plugin but I did not see enough benefit that would justify the large price tag.

Cheers,

I was intrigued by the descriptions of the "focus fixing" plugsins. I downloaded Focus Magic but was disappointed to find that it does not work with images that are opened in PS as Smart Objects. Will Focus Fixer work with Smart Objects?

Peter

Carl Harsch

• http://www.ohenry.smugmug.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:01:23 pm »

PTLens

Noiseware

PKSharpen

I use these 3 on all images.  I have PTLens and Noiseware on an action that I execute immediately (I have the option to cancel Noiseware if the photo doesn't need noise removal)

lbenac

• http://www.LucBenacPhoto.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:05 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I was intrigued by the descriptions of the "focus fixing" plugsins. I downloaded Focus Magic but was disappointed to find that it does not work with images that are opened in PS as Smart Objects. Will Focus Fixer work with Smart Objects?

Peter

Yes it does so do all the others in my list except PKS.
That said working with Smart Objects with all of these together is nerve wreaking as it takes so long for each one to redraw anytime you touch one of the Smart layer.
I stopped doing that very shortly after i tried.

Luc.
Luc Benac
Amateur Photos from Canada, Fr

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:37:55 pm »

Quote from: lbenac
Yes it does so do all the others in my list except PKS.

Actually, PKS does too as long as you create a new blank layer at the bottom of the stack and make the layer a Background layer. Select it and go to Layers>New Layer>Background from Layer

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:49:28 pm »

Website devoted to plug-ins (including free ezine) – URL in sig.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

DougJ

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 02:21:42 am »

Walter,

I just stumbled across your post, and in particular to the GrassHopper "align" plugin.

Within the past week (before I found this post) I went looking for that plugin to buy but couldn't find it.

If you are able, would you post a link to where it could be purchased by download.  I've just bought PTLens, but would be quite happy to buy this product.

Ciao,

Doug

francois

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 05:13:24 am »

Quote from: DougJ
Walter,

I just stumbled across your post, and in particular to the GrassHopper "align" plugin.

Within the past week (before I found this post) I went looking for that plugin to buy but couldn't find it.

If you are able, would you post a link to where it could be purchased by download.  I've just bought PTLens, but would be quite happy to buy this product.

Ciao,

Doug
GrassHopper is out of business, unfortunately.
Francois

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 12:42:03 pm »

Here's what ImageAlign looked like. There's such an obvious need for this type of easy image correction. I'm surprised it was not replaced by another.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Plug-in Power!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 05:12:35 pm »

My two most used plugins are Image Align Pro and Convert to Black and White Pro. They both work just great in CS3. If they have any problems when I upgrade to CS4 (or beyond), I'll probably go back to CS3 just so I can still use them.

R.I.P., both of them. Sigh!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DougJ

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 11:42:56 pm »

Quote from: francois
GrassHopper is out of business, unfortunately.

That's really too bad.  But, thanks for posting the bad news.

Ciao,

Doug

walter.sk

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 08:17:12 am »

Quote from: EricM
My two most used plugins are Image Align Pro and Convert to Black and White Pro. They both work just great in CS3. If they have any problems when I upgrade to CS4 (or beyond), I'll probably go back to CS3 just so I can still use them.

R.I.P., both of them. Sigh!
Don't know about Convert to B&W, but my old Image Align Pro works just fine in CS4.

Eric Myrvaagnes

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 11:06:32 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
Don't know about Convert to B&W, but my old Image Align Pro works just fine in CS4.
Thanks, Walter. Maybe I'll gamble on the upgrade. I suspect Convert to BW will also work.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Johnny Magnoski

Plug-in Power!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 11:15:42 am »

Anything from NIK is awesome IMO.

I really love Silver Effects Pro.    
Pages: [1]   Go Up