Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP software for z3100  (Read 5004 times)

rsmith

RIP software for z3100
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:15 pm »

I am tasked with printing some 42"x150"-200" panoramic photographs with the z3100 standard 44" model.  I will need a RIP software to complete the task but I am not sure which one (if any) will give me great color results.  Does anyone out there have any recommendations?

-ryan

Scott Martin

• Onsight
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:20:55 pm »

I'd bet on Ergosoft. Definitely not Onyx or Wasatch.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:29:26 pm »

Quote from: rsmith
I am tasked with printing some 42"x150"-200" panoramic photographs with the z3100 standard 44" model.  I will need a RIP software to complete the task but I am not sure which one (if any) will give me great color results.  Does anyone out there have any recommendations?

-ryan

proofmasterhttp://www.proofmaster.net/ and photogate www.colorgate.comboth give good photo proof results and are relativly cheap but check they drive the z3100
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Scott Martin

• Onsight
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:55:54 pm »

Have you actually used Proofmaster or Photogate on the Z3100 and compared results to the driver? Does Photogate run on the Mac? I think this is the feedback Ryan is looking for.

The drivers profiles with the Version 6 firmware have gotten really good. It used to be that you needed a RIP for optimal results but at this point, some of the RIPs don't match the quality that the driver is now capable of. I spent two days this week performing Wasatch/Onyx/driver tests on Z3100 and Z2100 machines for a client. I think the timing of Ryan's question is excellent and I'd love to hear from others that have done recent side-by-side testing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:08:48 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:46 pm »

With the Z3100 RIPS fall into one of two categories. Those that use the HP color separation tables, and those that don't. EFI is an example of a RIP that does. Onyx does not, and I have not been happy with the results. GMG also does not, but they aren't strictly ICC based, and so they are able to produce nice results. If the RIP uses the HP tables the results should be very similar to what you get from the driver. EFI has a new low cost rip Color eXpress. I like it a lot but your dependent on their profiles, which vary in quality. I'm guessing your look for the RIP because of the size issues rather than any quality issues. For photographic work the drivers are going to generally produce the best quality. My experience with rips that support the Z3100 covers EFI, GMG, and Onyx. Out of those the first two will get you there quality wise but your talking fairly big money. I would look into Ergosoft as well.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

Scott Martin

• Onsight
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:29:30 pm »

Well said Julian. I'd like to do a GMG/Ergosoft/V6driver shoot-out on the Z series but haven't had a chance to yet. Anyone?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 07:48:47 pm »

Quote from: Onsight
Hey you actually used Proofmaster or Photogate on the Z3100 and compared results to the driver? Does Photogate run on the Mac? I think this is the feedback Ryan is looking for.

The drivers profiles with the Version 6 firmware have gotten really good. It used to be that you needed a RIP for optimal results but at this point, some of the RIPs don't match the quality that the driver is now capable of. I spent two days this week performing Wasatch/Onyx/driver tests on Z3100 and Z2100 machines for a client. I think the timing of Ryan's question is excellent and I'd love to hear from others that have done recent side-by-side testing.

Ive used these softwares on epsons with good results, photogate is pc based but works fine in server mode with macs, proofmaster is mac or pc based.
sorry if that was not specific enough to be useful in this case, I'll listen with interest
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

a.lorge

RIP software for z3100
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 09:09:11 pm »

I recently purchased ergosoft studioprint for use with a z3100.  It works great.  Also ergosoft will "rent" you their profiling software.  This is an excellent alternative to spending an additional several thousand dollars on profiling software capable of creating 7 color profiles.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 11:34:10 pm »

Care to comment on any side-by-side tests with the (firmwareV6) driver?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 11:56:03 pm »

I had understood that SP did not work well, if at all, with the z3100. How are you making profiles, and  are you able to successfully add new papers and linearize them within SP? How does SP deal with the extra inks (more than CMYK's)

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks, Bill

Quote from: a.lorge
I recently purchased ergosoft studioprint for use with a z3100.  It works great.  Also ergosoft will "rent" you their profiling software.  This is an excellent alternative to spending an additional several thousand dollars on profiling software capable of creating 7 color profiles.
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

rsmith

RIP software for z3100
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 12:20:19 pm »

Thanks for all the quick replys

I am looking into the RIP to get past the length issues with the Z but I am also looking for the best possible color results.  I got a 30 day trial of Onyx and the results were unacceptable, despite using the onboard spectrometer the profiles Onyx made were did not match nearly as well as the HP driver profiles.  I'll see what I can do to get a trial version of EFI and GMG and report the results.

For those who are wondering I am working from PC (both vista 64 bit and xp)

-Ryan

TylerB

• my photography
RIP software for z3100
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »

I have some years of experience with StudioPrint on Epsons, and can say that any results you see will be more representative of the capabilities of the user than the software itself. The level of control is very deep, and proper setup at every step is critical. The balancing act required by the Z and other new N channel printers will make the task even more daunting.
So, keep that in mind when forming opinions, it could be great but is totally dependent on setup. With this many colors, the OEM drivers and an RGB workflow and profiling make sense for all but the most demanding workers. If Qimage supports the Z that would be the way to get your length while maintaining current workflow.
Tyler

http://www.custom-digital.com/

rsmith

RIP software for z3100
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 05:08:33 pm »

unfortunately even with qimage I am running into length issues with the Z, the Z has no true borderless so printing a tiled print leaves a cm white gap between sections and printing a full size doc will not work even with lowest possible resolution and easily workable spool size (with my z the print gets cropped down when printing past about 110", with major problems occuring past 125")

Ernst Dinkla

RIP software for z3100
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 03:56:33 am »

Quote from: rsmith
unfortunately even with qimage I am running into length issues with the Z, the Z has no true borderless so printing a tiled print leaves a cm white gap between sections and printing a full size doc will not work even with lowest possible resolution and easily workable spool size (with my z the print gets cropped down when printing past about 110", with major problems occuring past 125")

I think you mean Banner mode instead of Borderless. That's what Qimage needs for the Poster/Tiles method. And the Z3100 doesn't know a Banner mode and when Roll mode is chosen it will add 2x 5mm (= 1 cm) margins at the point where tiles should be stitched . None of the cropping features in the driver that normally take out white margins solves that either.

I can print to about 2.75 meter from one system, the other system does less. Above that length it gives the cropping you mention to about 25 cm wide that you can see directly when the job starts printing.

There are other Z3100 owners that can print beyond that length from Qimage and other applications. Why that difference ?  I do not know.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Pages: [1]   Go Up